**** The Hulk (Totally Awesome) ****

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, how about this fix to Hot Dog Stand?

Hot Dog Stand - 6 blacktile.png
    Thinking and smashing use lots of calories! A hungry Hulk empties the stock of a nearby food vendor! If there are at least 6 charged tiles, stuns Hulk for one turn, heals him for 462 health, and converts 3 charged tiles to basic tiles. Otherwise, converts 2 greentile.png or bluetile.png basic tiles to charged tiles.
    Level 2: Hulk heals himself for 540 health. May convert blacktile.png basic tiles to charged tiles.
    Level 3: Hulk heals himself for 618 health. Converts 3 basic tiles to charged tiles.
    Level 4: Hulk heals himself for 774 health. May convert enemy strike, protect, or attack tiles. May also convert purpletile.png tiles.
    Level 5: Hulk heals himself for 1086 health. Otherwise converts 4 basic, enemy strike/protect/attack tiles to charged tiled. Affects greentile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.pngpurpletile.pngredtile.png .

4Thor has been in the game for a year and a half, and she's still the only one who ACTUALLY USES charged tiles. It's high time some character, any character, actually used them/interacted with them in some way instead of just making them. And this doesn't affect yellowtile.png tiles, as no Hulk in game uses that color.
    (And of course, the vendor is literally "charging" Hulk for eating the hot dogs, hence the charged tile being used up)
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Someone please run Oml/Xpool/Cho with a 5/5/3 Cho and report back please?

Spamming blue = Oml spams red strikes
    Cascade potential on 2 colors = big dirty match damage and pops Xpool Cd's

I dream of cascades nearly every other turn. Cho wouldn't even need levels. Just covers.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    I gave it a couple of gos, and I can see how it might not be awful, but the problem I have is that even at a low level, he tanks blue and green, so sustaining him while collecting the AP you need to get this stuff going, isn't going to be easy. But if the idea is just to toss him in for a couple fights til he dies, why not?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:

I dream of cascades nearly every other turn. Cho wouldn't even need levels. Just covers.

I know the idea is to try to find useful scenarios for him but... if you want cascades and cheap powers, why not IF, yeah he is a 3 but he is so much better for what you wanted. He also has an attack tile that goes quite well with OML strike tiles. There are more 3s that would work also.

Then in 4 land iceman and IMHB can also create tiles for cascades if you respec them 3/5/5 for iceman and 5/3/5 for IMHB, yes their powers are a little bit more expensive 8 iceman, 9 IMHB, but they also create more tiles than what chulk blue destroys, and have other useful powers. Iceman in particular has a 6AP power to spam even more OML strike tiles, which also stuns and does some serious damage (for me iceman is his best partner in 4 land).

Of course if you have a x/5/x Phoenix then there is no discussion at all. Use them together and destroy all your enemies.

I am sorry but he is useless, there is always someone that can do the same job, but better.
  • Ruinate
    Polares wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

I know the idea is to try to find useful scenarios for him but... if you want cascades and cheap powers, why not IF, yeah he is a 3 but he is so much better for what you wanted. He also has an attack tile that goes quite well with OML strike tiles. There are more 3s that would work also.

Then in 4 land iceman and IMHB can also create tiles for cascades if you respec them 3/5/5 for iceman and 5/3/5 for IMHB, yes their powers are a little bit more expensive 8 iceman, 9 IMHB, but they also create more tiles than what chulk blue destroys, and have other useful powers. Iceman in particular has a 6AP power to spam even more OML strike tiles, which also stuns and does some serious damage (for me iceman is his best partner in 4 land).

Of course if you have a x/5/x Phoenix then there is no discussion at all. Use them together and destroy all your enemies.

I am sorry but he is useless, there is always someone that can do the same job, but better.

Because I want to use Deadpool's pink which automatically rules out the many many pink tile changers. I just want to see cascades happen while strikes and cds are out. I guess only Quake icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Because I want to use Deadpool's pink which automatically rules out the many many pink tile changers. I just want to see cascades happen while strikes and cds are out. I guess only Quake icon_e_sad.gificon_e_sad.gif
    Well, if there's one thing I got out of this awful EotS event, 2* Marvel's yellow can make some pretty awesome cascades with OML/XDP, and she easily hides behind both of them.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Well yeah if you use OML,xpool and IF you are not going to use xpool purple that's right, but you can use switch then, both her blue and green can cause cascades and match-5s. And with OML, match-5s are even better than cascades (with my 370 OML black criticals do around 4k!). And with switch you are going to have plenty of purple for xpool and her green is cheap enough to spam OML red a little (xpool purple is also cheap).

I don't know why so much emphasis on using xpool though, there are much better partners to spam or generate cascades for OML... But I guess you just love xpool icon_e_wink.gif
  • Ruinate
    Polares wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Well yeah if you use OML,xpool and IF you are not going to use xpool purple that's right, but you can use switch then, both her blue and green can cause cascades and match-5s. And with OML, match-5s are even better than cascades (with my 370 OML black criticals do around 4k!). And with switch you are going to have plenty of purple for xpool and her green is cheap enough to spam OML red a little (xpool purple is also cheap).

I don't know why so much emphasis on using xpool though, there are much better partners to spam or generate cascades for OML... But I guess you just love xpool icon_e_wink.gif

You are correct. Scarlet Witch is quite nasty with OML. The thing with Scarlet is that you want a blue outlet since you'll have so much blue from protecting her tile.

I don't LOVE Xpool, but I am the ultimate lazy. With OML/Xpool, you win for playing bad. Oml eats 3 Awaken The Hands and it's Gorgon who dies. Hilarious.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, so if this team up node in Juggernaut: Heroic is any indication of Chulk's power level...

His black (heal with <7 blue) was never in a position to fire. His green power (single target dmg with bonus for blue AP) was hardly better than 2* Thor's (!) (admittedly he would do more damage to the target in front, but Thor would damage the whole team), and his blue countdown tile got matched once and fired once, creating a whopping nice few blue charged tiles. Yay, I guess?

I was struggling and I estimate 99% of the match damage came from his team members (Colossus and 2hor). Halfway through he died. Is this seriously a 4*? icon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_surprised.gif

If I didn't have this collector's mentality I'd probably already be considering selling my 1/1/0 chulk even though I got almost 7K hero points for roster spots. I definitely already regret putting in 200ish ISO to bring him to level 74.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    While playing through Heroic Juggs, a question arose...

If Colossus fastballs Chulk, and it triggers the hot dogs, will it fail if there are too many blue on the board?
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    pheregas wrote:
    While playing through Heroic Juggs, a question arose...

If Colossus fastballs Chulk, and it triggers the hot dogs, will it fail if there are too many blue on the board?

To answer: It cannot trigger Hot Dogs if the prerequisite has not been met.

Fastball special cannot activate abilities which have prerequisites that cannot be met. If there are no red tiles on the board, 2* magnet's Magnetic Flux cannot be activated because it lacks the capacity to activate properly. As a more specific example, Loki's Trickery will not trigger if there are no opposing tiles on the board. 3* bullseye cannot activate Lethal Improvisation if there are no special tiles. Ect.

The same rule applies to Hot Dog Stand. If there are too many blue tiles, the ability itself will not be chosen because it requires fewer than X tiles.

At least by my testing, I've never had it happen.
  • frostCoH
    frostCoH Posts: 71 Match Maker
    I don't think I'd hate Chulk so much if his black could activate with 1 or 2 more blue on the board than current settings. Also if his black fed him and gave him a couple green too.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    frostCoH wrote:
    I don't think I'd hate Chulk so much if his black could activate with 1 or 2 more blue on the board than current settings. Also if his black fed him and gave him a couple green too.

Well the problem with it is... it just sucks. The heal is too small to be worth anything (about 12% of his max health at 270 and 5 covers, only about 7% at 3 covers). And even if it was enough to save him from a big damage spike, the chances of you being able to use it on the turn you want to is basically zero without some Quake/KK shenanigans (and quake is just better, so why bother).

For comparision, Patch's Healing Factor restores about 6% of his max health every turn, with no hoops. Granted he has less health, but it works every single turn, doesn't cost anything, doesn't stun him...

They could bump it up to 8 AP with no restrictions and no stun and it would still just be a bad version of Mjolnir's Might or maybe comparable to Lightning Rod, neither of which are game-breaking powers.
  • Clyve
    Clyve Posts: 91
    OJSP wrote:
    Having played him a bit more in the current Heroic event, I think Seeing the Math of It ( blueflag.png ) could be better if they simply swap the effects on the bluetile.png and greentile.png .

So, if it destroys and gathers bluetile.png while creating greentile.png charged tiles, it would actually accelerate all his powers while enabling Hot Dog Stand to proc easier.

That's according to my math anyway.. The 7th smartest person on earth who sees patterns better than 99.999999993% people should know that too icon_e_smile.gif

Also, I'd like my April Fool entry to be considered for a remake of Hot Dog Stand.. (I've changed the numbers slightly, so the healing is more realistic:
    I Don't Need or Even Like Hot Dogs! 5 blacktile.png
    Being one of the most intelligent person in the world, Cho's not satisfied with just doing simple April Fool's jokes. He decided to use his skills to hack MPQ's main server and change one of his powers that players deemed useless. He's tired of being called the worst 4* of the game.

Amadeus grabs a nearby hot dog stand and flings it at the enemy, dealing 1000 damage.

(PASSIVE) Heals 2% of any damage from the enemy's previous turn.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Dealing 1500 damage (PASSIVE) Heals 4% of any damage from the enemy's previous turn.
    Level 3: Dealing 2000 damage (PASSIVE) Heals 6% of any damage from the enemy's previous turn.
    Level 4: Dealing 2500 damage (PASSIVE) Heals 8% of any damage from the enemy's previous turn.
    Level 5: Dealing 3000 damage (PASSIVE) Heals 9.9999999993% of any damage from the enemy's previous turn.

I thought about that solution to "See the Math of It" as well, though maybe they're reluctant to have a power gather the same AP required to use it. The alternative I thought was to change black to have max number of green tiles on the board instead of blue since See the Math is clearing green.

Anyway, in his current form, good god is he bad. His green is decent at best. Say you have an average of 5 blue AP when casting, then it does 417/AP at max level. That's hardly better than 3 star Cyc's red!! Increase the damage. His blue is mediocre. Can't pick the spot for the CD, and even when it goes off, it doesn't really do that much. Make the spot pickable (maybe limit to blue tiles if you want to restrain it a little bit), and have it eat more green or generate more blue charged, or add blue charged tiles instead of converting... His black is probably the worst 4 star power in the game. You can almost never cast it, it doesn't heal that much, and it stuns himself... I say change it to require less than *8* *green* tiles and have it create green, and increase the heal amount.

It's really hurting having to use him in Heroic Juggs
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    So, I have not commented on any characters abilities to this point. I have been playing for a little over a year and a half and am working on my 4* roster. Just recently was able to max and champ Hulkbuster. My next highest 4* is Cyclops at 180. I was able to finish 1st in my slice for the Punisher Max PVP and got TAHulks blue, which was the only color I needed. He is now 3/1/2. Since he is an essential character for the Juggernaut Heroic, I have kept him. I have read many posts by folks about how bad he is and I simply took it with a grain of salt. Now that I have had a chance to use him, I have to say OMFG! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif I can't wait until after this PvE to dump him!!!! Now I know that people do not exaggerate about how AWFUL he is!! Every single time I play his essential node, he is the first one to get downed. There is just nothing there! I have even intentionally made matches to put him in front to take damage and get him out of play. On the other hand, I may just keep him on the roster and wait for the day they make improvements on him. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif Depends on what I get when I open my LTs and CP once Quake and Punisher Max are available.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I have the "fortune" of having a 4/2/3 Totally Awful Hulk...and like others said, I finally used him in this last heroic. My. God. He is terrible. In the entire event I didn't use his black power once. Honestly, who makes a self-stun heal that needs minimal tiles on the board? Like at what part of development did people go "PERFECT!" and finalize that power?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2016
    I don't have enough covers for TAHulk to be usable, but I don't think he's that bad. He is the first character in the game where all of his powers can power up his other powers.

Mastermind can select the 3x3 area to remove blue tiles for Hot Dog Stand, or to create a match of any color AP for any power.

See the Math gives green AP for Mastermind, makes blue charges on the board for itself or Mastermind, and removes a blue tile for Hot Dog Stand.

Hot Dog Stand adds blue tiles to the board to power up Mastermind or to be used by See the Math.

The bad part is that HDS is a joke ability that will rarely go off and doesn't do a lot. Still, all of his powers affect blue AP and he should go well with another blue manipulator, like Iceman.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have enough covers for TAHulk to be usable, but I don't think he's that bad.

Um... He's one of those characters that, in theory crafting he seems like he's not that bad. But in practice, he's an ap generating support character who is mediocre in generating ap. The best thing I can say about him is that his blue countdown can destroy enemy green countdowns.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's also not too bad at generating blue AP... still not worth using at all.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    cyineedsn wrote:
    I don't have enough covers for TAHulk to be usable, but I don't think he's that bad.

Um... He's one of those characters that, in theory crafting he seems like he's not that bad. But in practice, he's an ap generating support character who is mediocre in generating ap. The best thing I can say about him is that his blue countdown can destroy enemy green countdowns.

It seems like he is a perfect storm of stuff that the devs overvalue when designing an ability, his one attack destroys tiles so was either going to end up too expensive or too low on damage, his blue produces charged tiles which the devs also rate far too highly and then you have his abysmal black having two negatives to avoid it being another too expensive burst heal.