OML: Level to max or not to level to max

Options
Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I am the lucky owner of a 4/2/4 OML, I got the 10th cover this weekend (Oooooh yeah!). Now, my doubt lies in, should I level him to 405 (max level with 10 covers) or should I stop at 380-385? As reference I have 9 covers of SS and 6 of Phoenix (just 1 Spidey, 1 GG), and 6 champed 4s, 20 cover maxed. If I level him, OML is going to be my only 5 at that level (I doubt leveling SS to 390 would help me at all anywhere, maybe when I get the 4th red cover). I play both PvP (to get to 1k for new covers, and 1.3k on the weekends whn I have more time to prepare the hops) and PvE (to get all CPs and when new 4s are released I usually play for top20).

I know that a 405 level OML would help me A LOT getting to 1300 for every PvP, 405 is an above average OML so it will probably help me reach 1.3k in all events easily, but I am afraid having one 5 at 405 is going to destroy my scaling in PvE (my scaling has been quite bad in recent tests, specially in EotS where I couldn't use him for half the event). In all other layers I have always waited to level 3-4 chars at the same time, but it looks like it is something I am not going to be able to do in 5 land (probably 3-5 months to get 4 or 5 covers more for Phoenix? way more for Spidey and GG) if I want to stay competitive in PvP.

So, what do you think, should I level my OML or should I wait? maybe level him a little bit more, to 380-390? I would like to know how the scaling in these PVE tests to all people that have similar OMLs (390+)?

Thanxs,

PS: I am also afraid that if OML is nerfed in the near future that would destroy completely my options of playing AT ALL (I don't think it should be nerfed, but devs have ALWAYS nerfed any char that has been used as much as OML is right now, so I am VERY afraid they would do the same).
PS: I also think even though it is obvious this new scaling greatly benefits softcappers and 3 players devs are going to implant it with very small changes icon_e_sad.gif

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    385 to 405 isn't going to making your scaling go from "fine" to "destroying" it.
  • Slarow
    Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Options
    From what I understand, PVP scaling is the average of your top 3 characters, so increasing OML 15 levels will only increase your opponents by 5 levels in PVE.
  • Polares
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    I am the lucky owner of a 4/2/4 OML....

Congratulations, sir. I echo what Simon said, a another boost in your OML's level will not affect your scaling much. You already leveled him, level him some more.

The catch is in regards to your other 5s. Based on reports from others, IF you level another 5 highly, then you will be seen as a 5* player, and your PVP MMR will change drastically. With so few 5* players around, it's not much fun to be elevated to that lofty planes in these early days.

So max that OML, get the other 5s covered but don't level them aggressively, and enjoy that ride—the best of both worlds—while it lasts!

My current level for OML is 370, and I think I am already considered a 5 player. All the hits I get are by much bigger OMLs than mine (I have been hit by other 5s even when I had 100 points O_0 ). I think as soon as you get one char above 350 (max level for normal buffed 4s) you are a 5 player.

I guess I will level him and see what happens, I can't always stop playing icon_razz.gif
    simonsez wrote:
    385 to 405 isn't going to making your scaling go from "fine" to "destroying" it.

Well it would be leveling from 370 to 405 (I was leveling my rhulk first because I got a cover I didnt want to loose). And the problem is that in the EotS test and this last test my scaling is quite high. I wouldn't call it fine icon_razz.gif

So then, what it would destroy my scaling in PvE completely I guess is leveling my 255 SS to 390?
  • Polares
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    My current level for OML is 370, and I think I am already considered a 5 player. All the hits I get are by much bigger OMLs than mine (I have been hit by other 5s even when I had 100 points O_0 ). I think as soon as you get one char above 350 (max level for normal buffed 4s) you are a 5 player.

Oh, from a player perspective you definitely are a 5* player ... you're a player who runs 5*s, haha.

I meant that if you level another 5* up to a similar level (high 300s or higher), you'll get bumped up to 5* MMR. You'll only q other players the systems sees as 5* players. It's a small group at present, and it sounds like its no fun being there.

It is not that bad yet, yeah most of the teams I see have 5s (specially over 1000), but I still see maxed 4 teams, and depending when I start to play, I still see buffed 3 teams while under 500. I guess there is not that much people playing with 5s yet (maybe just 1000 people with 350+ 5s? It would be interesting to know).
    Polares wrote:
    So then, what it would destroy my scaling in PvE completely I guess is leveling my 255 SS to 390?

What's your current scaling? Players I know with multiple high-level 5*s are seeing level 430s (or highers ....) in the current test. In "normal" PVEs, they just see capped characters all the time on hard nodes ... lvl 326 active enemies and lvl 395 goons.

If you're already seeing the same, I guess there isn't much destroying left to be done to your scaling icon_razz.gif

Just a little shy of that. In 'normal' events my actives are 315 or so and goons 360, but it also depends a little in who I have buffed. In the tests they got to 400.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation in that I have a 4/2/1 OML but unlike you, I have no usable four-stars. I have some that are at nine to eleven cover (4-clops, Iceman, Antman, Mr. Fantastic...) but I use my championed three-stars.

Any advice? Should I pump OML or just bide my time. I can't reach 1k progression in PvP.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Any advice? Should I pump OML or just bide my time. I can't reach 1k progression in PvP.

In the right slice, a 360 OML + boosted 3* is probably enough for 1300+ on first shield, let alone 1k.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation in that I have a 4/2/1 OML but unlike you, I have no usable four-stars. I have some that are at nine to eleven cover (4-clops, Iceman, Antman, Mr. Fantastic...) but I use my championed three-stars.

A level 360 OML and 2 boosted 3*s should enable you to get to 1k each time. That will really help you get those 4*s up to speed.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just go for it.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    given that PVE scaling is currently in the middle of significant revisions, it's very hard to say what effect a single 400+ 5* will have in PVE.

Would a 360 OML not be sufficient to get 1.3k easily?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My OML is now lvl 360 and 5/1/1 after FINALLY pulling the elusive yellow cover for him. I honestly see no reason to take him any higher, even if I luck into more yellow/red covers for him. He heals for 1200+ per turn, drops 4 600 Strikes for 9 black and deals nearly 1,000 damage for a simple match-3 on either yellow or black; that's perfectly fine for my needs. As of now, I'm going back to leveling up my 4*s so he has more chances of having a nice boosted partner on weeks where my already champed 4*s aren't placed on the weekly steroid list icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Polares
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    given that PVE scaling is currently in the middle of significant revisions, it's very hard to say what effect a single 400+ 5* will have in PVE.

The problem is that a lot of people has a 360 OML, so you dont scare anybody, on the other hand a 405 OML is less common, so it is a much better scarecrow.

Of course, the hops with a 405 OML are also much much faster.

Ps: I guess that I can start getting the iso and see what devs say about the last PvE test. It was supposed to get much easier for 4, and 4-5 rosters, even though they failed miserably icon_razz.gif
  • Polares wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

The problem is that a lot of people has a 360 OML, so you dont scare anybody, on the other hand a 405 OML is less common, so it is a much better scarecrow.

Of course, the hops with a 405 OML are also much much faster.

Ps: I guess that I can start getting the iso and see what devs say about the last PvE test. It was supposed to get much easier for 4, and 4-5 rosters, even though they failed miserably icon_razz.gif
    Everything sounds amazing when we 1st read about it. Then we see the implementation for ourselves & cringe every time.
  • kwyjibo
    kwyjibo Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Options
    max him and all your dreams will come true