3* to 4* Transition Recommendations

Options
RBwilliams07
RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
edited April 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Looking for a bit of help moving forward into 4* land. Problem I am finding lately is with so many 4*s being introduced my covers are few and far between and spread all over the place.
My roster is below in my sig, any recommendations on how to proceed and what I should be doing would be a great help. I can usually get to around 800 in pvp. I shield hopped once but didnt matter as maxed 4* teams kept coming up to help me proceed to getting 1000 points. Should I keep trying that?

Comments

• Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It looks like you are around the same position I am overall. You have a few more 3* characters championed than I do, but my 4* roster is a little further developed in ISO, and I am running into the same issue.

Did you participate in the Magneto PvP test event at all? How did you find it if you did?

I found the PvP test to be a huge success for my roster. Most of the teams I faced were similar builds to my own, and I never got beaten down by super heavyweights. If you participated in the test and noticed the same, my advice to you would be to just hold the fort. That new system is now permanent. If you can push for placement, go for it... but the 1,000 progression for the 4* in PvP was significantly easier for me to reach under the new PvP implementation. Keep working on the 25 CP progression in PvE (and placement if you have time - I don't).

Another piece of advice I would give looking at your roster is to see if you can focus on leveling up some of the higher tier 4*s as the covers come in. Your 4* Cyc is in reasonable shape right now, no reason you should avoid leveling him. Try focusing on just a couple of them, and if you can cover and level them enough, the 4* DDQ is another good place to find the covers.

Hopefully this helps with a little guidance at least. The 3-4* transition is a rough one. I just fully covered and maxed 4*Thor in the past week myself and I'm at day 730. The rest of my 4* roster looks a lot like yours. PvP should hopefully be a boon for players like us now if you can shield up or float for a while.
  • RBwilliams07
    RBwilliams07 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks Smudge. I did play in the Magneto PvP but unfortunately I was away on business so I never got to play it much. Same thing with PvE, I can usually play enough to get a CP or two each day but never rank high enough to get much from rankings.

I heard a lot of good things about scaling from my alliance and how they did well after the Magneto PvP scaling so I am hoping that helps.

Im going to start pumping ISO into XFW and Classic Cyclops I think. At least that way that's two more I have for DDQ 4* events as well.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    you could take them to 170-180ish, but I'm not sure you want them much higher than that. especially now that mmr/scaling looks at your 5s differently. cyke's usefulness really goes up at 5 blue (along with 5 red). xfw is useful for cascades at almost any black, but the damage really goes up with the 5th black.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I work two part time jobs and am a full time college student, so I understand the time crunch. Placement rewards are almost never a goal for me these days, but I find it relatively easy to get to the 25 CP progression in PvE. Hopefully you will get the same positives from the PvP changes that I have because that 1k 4* cover was much easier in the new system (though I haven't played Nefarious Foes to test its MMR yet). The CP nodes in PvE are a slow but steady way to build the 4* covers with limited time to play, too.

I do agree with Moose - level up the heavy hitters as they come in such as Cyc, HB, JG, but don't bring the low-mid tier characters up much beyond the 170-180 range to be able to beat their DDQ 4*. Don't want to break scaling for yourself.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a right slog the 3 to 4 stage, that's for sure.
    Learning how to get to 1000 points consistently was a trial and error process for me, with HP on shield hops for no cover and lots of iso spent skipping teams. I slowly learned more about team synergy, who I liked, who was quick, then started taking on 4* teams, learning how to beat them, etc.
    Use the boosted characters wisely - in the Magneto pvp I ran undoubted Iron Man to get the blue AP up quick, and it was much faster than using 2 boosted characters alongside him.

Get Scarlet Witch championed as soon as you get her 13th cover. 5 in Blue is amazing.

If there is a cover you really want and you get within one big fight, don't be afraid to use Deadpool points on Whales (I've picked a 4* team worth 60+ points, Deadpool + Scarlet Witch +2 purple +2 All to get it done quickly if I'm really wanting that cover).

Take various combos out in Shield simulator to try out against random combos or teams you find difficult to beat if you have spare time / health packs - Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Scarlet Witch are one of my favourite teams for there (normally run Iron Fist 355)

For pushes and shield hops, if possible, find a quiet time. This one is restricted by your location and time zone. I often hit 1000 at around 6/7 am UK time, when it seems to be quiet (I guess America is asleep), or often in the last hour, when most folks seem to have shielded or allowing themselves to drop (lots of people are scared of a blood bath, and I don't see it that often)