Requesting advice on 3*-4* transition

Options
Tryke
Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I recently acquired more covers for my 4*s and now some of them have level caps comparable to my 3* lineup. However, the way they are covered, I'm not sure that maxing them out would actually make them better than my 3*s. My hulkbuster has a cap of 188, but only has 2 red covers.

I have an assortment of 4*s, roster is in my sig. Are there any that are worth taking up right now? Iso is pretty precious nowadays so I don't want to max them unless I plan on using them.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd say continue working on your 3s. guys like hb and xfw and rulk are all about getting their primary damage dealer to 5 covers. the other covers can be functional at less but a hb at 2-3 covers is not very useful unless you just want him to feed red to others and make some strike tiles. he can be good at that if you have 5 black, but I wouldn't jump the gun on that. if you have extra iso burning a hold in your pocket, level max fist, cage, witch, loki, etc. the guys you'll take to 166 anyway. actually your xpool is at 5 red. I might take him up to 170ish. also, taking hb to 170ish won't hurt anything either, just not sure how helpful he'll be - for now he's just an ok red battery for you. and xpool is a 1 ability character basically for you (athough its a good one - damage+healing).

once you get the top tier guys level maxed and your 4s even with your 3s, just sit on any extra iso. or you could look at someone like mystique. I wouldn't go too far down the ranking list unless you just want to max all of them, many guys do that too. there is benefit to never wasting a cover and if your 4s aren't ready yet, that's a good plan - gets you more LTs and on their way to getting to the 4* covers at 183.
  • Tryke
    Options
    Thx for the advice moose. Yes, I am planning on maxing out my 3*s to take advantage of spare covers (just need millions of iso icon_lol.gif ).

I just don't have any 4*s yet that I would use over 3*s. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep adding covers to them slowly until they get decently covered.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah, none of your 4*s are really at a usable point yet. My advice? Sit on your ISO to see if any more useful 4* covers come your way. If you hit a point where you can max a 3* before that, then get yourself another champ.

Though I'd also consider ditching that Surfer you have. He's likely throwing off your scaling for match making and PvE. Though I'm no expert on how that works and would double check the Guide forum and wiki to be sure.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    I disagree on surfer. once you have maxed 3*s where you likely have boosteds in the mid-200s anyway, 5s won't be increasing much of anything. where they really mess stuff up is with 2* players and early 3* transitioners. not for someone with 10+ maxed 3s.
  • Tryke
    Options
    Also, i have another surfer in my queue, with 2xBSSM and 2xPhx covers as well. Too many 5* covers to throw away. Hopefully the new scaling formula goes into effect soon, although my champs are usually boosted to around 245 anyway.
  • TxMoose
    Options
    I had 8 maxed 3*s when I rostered ss and oml and I was able to push through the scaling/mmr differences. at the time I was not playing pve heavily though, but I was farming. and there has been several adjustments since then - just letting you know it can be done at that level.