**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    He's the best at special tile boosting, leaving him underleveled is really a shame because you are gimping him for winfinite icon_e_sad.gif
    Of course, gimping him for winfinite lets you beat nearly any team extremely quickly without taking much damage.

PX is one of the best cases for maintaining a dupe in the post-champion era. With enough time and resources, I'd put together a 5/5/0 copy and a champ.
  • So my dupe is 120 now and his Master Plan with 5 blue does 3200 damage. Should I level him to 166 or so for the added health/damage, or should I keep him low? Should I worry about events when he is boosted? How many levels are added to boosted characters these days?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    So my dupe is 120 now and his Master Plan with 5 blue does 3200 damage. Should I level him to 166 or so for the added health/damage, or should I keep him low? Should I worry about events when he is boosted? How many levels are added to boosted characters these days?

Well I guess it depends on the level of your GSBW. They are boosted more or less 70 levels so he should be GSBW level - 70 - security margin (5-10 levels extra).

In my case I decided to level him as much as possible even losing the chance of using him when buffed. But the main issue for me wasn't damage (that too of course), it was his life pool, at 120 he has a really low hitpoint number (around 4k?), and when playing against 395 level enemies he can be killed while you get enough purple etc, just with match damage and a small cascades. Or even if it is not killed you will need to use health packs every couple of fights.

But after last change in match damage, which totally screwed me, I am still building my second Prof X (he is 4/5/4, it looks like I can't get the final blue cover), so maybe you should keep him as low as possible just for if they decided to 'nerf' him again icon_razz.gif
  • Polares wrote:
    So my dupe is 120 now and his Master Plan with 5 blue does 3200 damage. Should I level him to 166 or so for the added health/damage, or should I keep him low? Should I worry about events when he is boosted? How many levels are added to boosted characters these days?

Well I guess it depends on the level of your GSBW. They are boosted more or less 70 levels so he should be GSBW level - 70 - security margin (5-10 levels extra).

In my case I decided to level him as much as possible even losing the chance of using him when buffed. But the main issue for me wasn't damage (that too of course), it was his life pool, at 120 he has a really low hitpoint number (around 4k?), and when playing against 395 level enemies he can be killed while you get enough purple etc, just with match damage and a small cascades. Or even if it is not killed you will need to use health packs every couple of fights.

But after last change in match damage, which totally screwed me, I am still building my second Prof X (he is 4/5/4, it looks like I can't get the final blue cover), so maybe you should keep him as low as possible just for if they decided to 'nerf' him again icon_razz.gif
    My GSBW is 191 and I think her purple just ticked up to 82 dmg. I think I'll just wait for an event where he is boosted and see how high he goes. My 220 ProfX has 83 blue, so a 120+70 should still be under 82.

I'll test him out next PvE too to see how viable a 120 is for winfinite. It might make more sense to just level him with my GSBW and not be able to use winfinite during those few events where he is boosted.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok. I never use him outside winfinite. Tried him for his tile buffing today and have some questions. Was the flaptain essential and went with him and daken against rags, venom, and a Maggia. Didn't go great but had some tiles out went inviz and he started buffing tiled but the attack tiles were never applied after each turn. Lost the other 2 in the process. Then, venom hit me with a stun, it's an aoe so I get that I was stunned, but then venom targeted me with a devour. Is that how he's supposed to work? No attack tile damage while inviz and targetable when stunned and inviz? Thanks for any explanations
  • Polares wrote:

My GSBW is 191 and I think her purple just ticked up to 82 dmg. I think I'll just wait for an event where he is boosted and see how high he goes. My 220 ProfX has 83 blue, so a 120+70 should still be under 82.

I'll test him out next PvE too to see how viable a 120 is for winfinite. It might make more sense to just level him with my GSBW and not be able to use winfinite during those few events where he is boosted.

Since ProfX is boosted this week I've been tinkering with my dupe a bit. At 120 he boosts to 192 which has a blue strength of 81. At 121 he boosts to 193 with a blue strength of 82. My GSBW is at 192 with a purple strength of 82 and it doesn't seem to matter who I put in front - blue still gets generated (so yeah, I did kinda break my winfinite for this experiment, but now I know for certain that 120 is the magic number to keep ProfX under 82 when boosted.

Also, Master Plan does 3793 damage at 193.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

Since ProfX is boosted this week I've been tinkering with my dupe a bit. At 120 he boosts to 192 which has a blue strength of 81. At 121 he boosts to 193 with a blue strength of 82. My GSBW is at 192 with a purple strength of 82 and it doesn't seem to matter who I put in front - blue still gets generated (so yeah, I did kinda break my winfinite for this experiment, but now I know for certain that 120 is the magic number to keep ProfX under 82 when boosted.

Also, Master Plan does 3793 damage at 193.

This is another by-product of the last changes to match damage. Before, match damage was internally float values, they just floored the number to show the value for match damage, so if you had two chars one at 191 and another at 190 the one at 191 had slightly bigger match damage because of the hidden float. After the change, there are no floats anymore, now it is just a table that for any given level it assigns a value, so it just matters the number that appears as match damage, the level doesn't matter anymore (they should still use the level of the chars to break the tie).

So yeah if you had both ProfX and GSBW with 83 match damage, now it is random for which one you get the AP, not even the position matters for these powers :S

They need to have different match damage to be 100% sure which one it is going to use.
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    I just got covers 13 and 14 for the good Professor. Covers fell 4/4/5 and now I'm sitting on a blue. I see very few people say level and champion him, and most look like going 5/3/5 for him and keep him underleveled. Still the best option?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have a working Charlies angels combo, put him at 5 blue and leave him underleveled.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a champion Professor X, he's fun. icon_e_smile.gif But 5/3/5 is probably the best build regardless of his level.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I have a champion Professor X, he's fun. icon_e_smile.gif But 5/3/5 is probably the best build regardless of his level.

He's very fun, he also has plenty of different builds which makes him a good choice for champing. His tile boosting in pve is really really good as well.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    my px is now 2/4/5

with only 2ap regen per match-5, i am playing around with different teams to maximize his purple and yellow.

- if and qs seem fun.
    with qs' quick black the board is full specials tiles real fast.

- hulk and patch works good, too.
    2 purple match plus 1ap boost, then start bombing.
    plus, he has blue and purple for himself - used to think its only about his colors, but he has to tank them like vision. that german translation is wrong btw.

- sw and ?
    really only looking to replace gsbw because px' blue is underleveled.
    i have rulk and imhb maxed, but cant get a team to work thats better than the typical 3*/4* teams.
  • xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Set your Prof X to 3/5/5, pair him with Flaptain and add any cheap ability user, preferably someone who has an active blue ability (Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Iceman, Daken, Beast, Daredevil, Vision, 4* Punisher, etc.) and just go to town buffing tiles. Get purple, go invisible, match blue and watch both Flaptain and Prof X buff everything in sight.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    xidragonxi wrote:
    Set your Prof X to 3/5/5, pair him with Flaptain and add any cheap ability user, preferably someone who has an active blue ability (Spider-Man, Ant-Man, Iceman, Daken, Beast, Daredevil, Vision, 4* Punisher, etc.) and just go to town buffing tiles. Get purple, go invisible, match blue and watch both Flaptain and Prof X buff everything in sight.

GR is great for that combo... Cheap green which gives specials , which gives more special from px passive. You can also fire GR red and watch as blue matches buff things twice and also reduces that timer so it goes of every turn. Very fun team
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    a definite +1 for PX + Flaptain.

I actually kept a 5/3/5 build for PX during my early climb, since rank 5 Master Plan was doing ~10k damage, which was more beneficial against lower teams. I've swapped to 3/5/5 for the higher tiers, because that tile buff is now more important.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    On paper Punisher Max looks like a good third for Sam and Charles. Active skills in all colors with no overlap, and he likes special tiles a lot too. No idea how it works practically though.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    On paper Punisher Max looks like a good third for Sam and Charles. Active skills in all colors with no overlap, and he likes special tiles a lot too. No idea how it works practically though.

I've been playing around with PunMax + Flaptain + Kingpin, which has some similarities. It's much more heavily focused on Strike tiles, but it has slightly more flexibility than a "Professor Falcon" team. That is, PXFalcon relies on getting PX invisible and then prioritising blue for huge buffs on special tiles. This team also likes to rush Purple early, which KP can turn into Yellow. You've got the option of laying down Protect tiles with Sam (a good idea on Survival nodes) or Maggia goon Countdown tiles. After that, blue matches are going to start working for you and you can use that AP to drop nice Strike tiles from Frank.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    xidragonxi wrote:

GR is great for that combo... Cheap green which gives specials , which gives more special from px passive. You can also fire GR red and watch as blue matches buff things twice and also reduces that timer so it goes of every turn. Very fun team

+1. My Prof and Rider are too low-level, so my experience with the trio is limited to BoP, but it's a fun team there. Gets a ridiculous number of defensive wins.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Advice on Prof X: how high should I level him? Mine's at 5-2-1, at level 140, could take him to 172. But for synergy with other chars it seems like many soft-cap him. Where should I stop with him for now?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jexman wrote:
    Advice on Prof X: how high should I level him? Mine's at 5-2-1, at level 140, could take him to 172. But for synergy with other chars it seems like many soft-cap him. Where should I stop with him for now?
    Depends on your GSBW. You want her purple to be higher than his blue.