Get rid of PVP boosts, 3X tries, or retaliation

At least give us some way of defending ourselves, ya know?

Compared to Marvel Avengers Alliance on facebook, their PVP is pretty broken too, but at least good players can expect 40% win rate. The "defense" in this game seems to be the "leave me alone" variety.

Comments

• i think the pvp boosts add some variety into builds/counters

however i'd agree to get rid of the 3x tries. just 1 is sufficient and make you think about who to attack.

get rid of retaliation as well. i had another thread on that but i think it's what makes pvp so frustrating.
  • If someone had level 69 Daken, Bullseye, and 85 Wolverine I might think twice. Those passive ability messages would drive me crazy.

I wouldn't mind facing a better AI if the iso awards were increased.
  • I like the PvP boosts, the 3x tries, and the retaliation.
    The PvP boosts make the tournaments more varied.
    The amount of points won and lost goes down each try, so it's barely worth it to attack someone and win on the 2nd attempt, given that you would have to heal your whole team, but it makes losing a PvP battle a lot less annoying.
    I don't know why people complain about retaliation - you are going to be attacked, what does it matter if it is someone who you have previously attacked or not.
  • here's my full thoughts on the retaliation - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=578

the tldr of it is the more you attack the more counter attack lists you appear in. the higher in the rank you are the more tempting you are in those lists. think of it this way, if other players were to hit skip and my name were to come up all the time as the first choice after skip and i lose 2x as many points as i gain from attacking them, what do you think that does to my rating? this is essentially what retaliation does, put you right at the top of matchmaking with a big ol' bullseye on your back if you are in the top 10.
  • Retaliation is like blue shells in mario kart

doesn't belong in any competitive sense
  • I think a retaliation chance makes sense, but not the infinite loop. Don't give a chance to retaliate my retaliation. I've learned not to retaliate against players with lower score - they take away more points than I'll win back, and they've already proven they can beat my team. If I could get some of my points back and not trigger another attack from them, I'd do it, but no more under the current system.
  • fatcatfan wrote:
    I think a retaliation chance makes sense, but not the infinite loop. Don't give a chance to retaliate my retaliation. I've learned not to retaliate against players with lower score - they take away more points than I'll win back, and they've already proven they can beat my team. If I could get some of my points back and not trigger another attack from them, I'd do it, but no more under the current system.

that is the smart move but i'm too pissed that some guy that's out of my league used 3 boosts to take 40 points away from me that I retaliate for those 5 points...only to lose another 40

icon_e_sad.gif
  • Catalyst wrote:
    here's my full thoughts on the retaliation - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=578

the tldr of it is the more you attack the more counter attack lists you appear in. the higher in the rank you are the more tempting you are in those lists. think of it this way, if other players were to hit skip and my name were to come up all the time as the first choice after skip and i lose 2x as many points as i gain from attacking them, what do you think that does to my rating? this is essentially what retaliation does, put you right at the top of matchmaking with a big ol' bullseye on your back if you are in the top 10.

It's working as intended isn't it? If you get a good lead you can absorb a dozen losses and still be in the top 10.
  • no if you get a good lead you can be up 300 pts and 6h later be down 300 pts. 9 out of 10 of those losses due exactly to those you fought.

if you get into 2nd you can have 3 losses in the final 1 min and go down to 9th

not what i'd call optimum gameplay, it's frustrating gameplay to the point of encouraging you to play opening day, maybe once on second day, then wait till final hour to play... even then the final 1 min can wipe out 1h of jockeying for position. and every attacker in that final 1 min loss is coming as counter attack losess.
  • if it's decided we really, really, can't-do-without, retaliation then devs should fix the scoring of the points. regular matchmaking can do the pts based on difference in rank, that's fine. retaliation should only be a 5pt per win, or 25% of loss, but no chance of a infinite loop. that way you can still steal back some of what you lost. as it is now i attack you and gain 10 pts you retaliate and gain 40 pts, i attack back and get 10 pts you loop for 40 pts. 2 attacks, net loss 60 pts. once you hit top 10 its almost all players beneath your rank causing this exact kind of math.
  • Catalyst wrote:
    no if you get a good lead you can be up 300 pts and 6h later be down 300 pts. 9 out of 10 of those losses due exactly to those you fought.

if you get into 2nd you can have 3 losses in the final 1 min and go down to 9th

not what i'd call optimum gameplay, it's frustrating gameplay to the point of encouraging you to play opening day, maybe once on second day, then wait till final hour to play... even then the final 1 min can wipe out 1h of jockeying for position. and every attacker in that final 1 min loss is coming as counter attack losess.

This last Saturday night I was in first with > 1000 points. I was in second with > 600 points late Sunday morning. There was about a 10 hour gap there.

I didn't bother with the final moments. I already had all the covers. I just wanted the wins for the iso-8. I was working on the Thor Tournament as soon as it began.

I haven't run into problems of being able to recover my points. I believe it's based on your ranking. The guy that attacked you probably lost a bunch of rank points after he had taken your rank points.
  • Why don't we make it interesting : 1X try and NO SKIP

There should be logic that if you play against a tougher opponent and lose, the next draw would be against a lower ranking opponent. Likewise if you win, you get someone harder...repeat cycle....

Keep the PVP boost and retaliation.
  • yeah that sucks. higher ranking always been a nice target. he won't retaliate for another retaliation for measly point
    defeat 10 opponent worth 250+, only be slammed by 7 opponent with very low rank [but pretty good team, they keep low profile until the final day]
    the point system is so frustating.
  • Rank isn't that important to me. I mostly work towards the point goals and ISO-8. I only retaliate agasit the big points as well. No point in fighting for less than 10 points.
  • morphy wrote:
    Why don't we make it interesting : 1X try and NO SKIP

Yes, because I really want to play against people who will give me 0-4 points. That would be grand. Very much worth my time. Especially when they retaliate and I lose 50 points.

I skip people who won't give me at least 23 points. Anything lower than that and it's not worth the retaliation risk.

There's one 28 point retaliation I'm probably going to skip right now... because he has a L85 Thor, L107 Spidey, and L112 Rag. I'm not sure how he's even in my matchmaking group. I might be able to beat him, but it wouldn't be worth the time. I'm keeping him around for now simply because the challenge is... interesting.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    morphy wrote:

Yes, because I really want to play against people who will give me 0-4 points. That would be grand. Very much worth my time. Especially when they retaliate and I lose 50 points.

I skip people who won't give me at least 23 points. Anything lower than that and it's not worth the retaliation risk.

There's one 28 point retaliation I'm probably going to skip right now... because he has a L85 Thor, L107 Spidey, and L112 Rag. I'm not sure how he's even in my matchmaking group. I might be able to beat him, but it wouldn't be worth the time. I'm keeping him around for now simply because the challenge is... interesting.

My condition for No Skip would be when you win a match the node would be replaced with a higher rank person therefore yielding more points. So you may have 1 match against a 0-4 points person, but by winning that you get to fight a higher rank for more points. And if all of us have to run the same gauntlet it would be fair play.

Right now all of us skip the "interesting" matches to find players who are weaker than us but worked hard to climb the ladder. These guys suffer the most because they are easy targets
  • Shadyimg wrote:
    Rank isn't that important to me. I mostly work towards the point goals and ISO-8. I only retaliate agasit the big points as well. No point in fighting for less than 10 points.

The problem with the current point system is that you lose progression points when you are attacked.

I've been going for 1200 all week and the second I start getting within spitting distance of 1000, I instantly lose dozens if not 100s of points. Overnight? Forget it, that's a guaranteed -300 at least. Opening the game for the first time every day has really started to suck now. That's *not* how the game should be. Daily login rewards are good. Getting FB share bonuses is good. -383 tourney points is not good.

The solution is to decouple progression rewards from tourney rank, as suggested several times now in other threads. That way no matter what, no one can take away your progression points. It will also make the competition a much less frustrating and much more desirable experience because you will know, without a doubt, that a reward is waiting for you. I don't doubt for a second that it will increase participation in *every* tournament. I *know* I would be in every single tournament if there was a nice chunk of HP waiting for me at XX number of wins regardless of how many retaliations/ranked losses happen.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    morphy wrote:

+1 to what Zathrus said.
    Skip is needed.
  • someguy wrote:
    The solution is to decouple progression rewards from tourney rank, as suggested several times now in other threads.
    That would be good. I'm also sure it would increase participation.
  • im all in favor of decoupling reward progression from ladder ranking