I have to ask - why is this game more expensive than MtG?

Options
So like I said, I'm not -mad-, nor am I gonna rant and rave. I simply am curious as to the pricing of certain items.

Right now it seems that the dragon's hoard, which is roughly 1000 crystals worth for $30.

You'll get to open ~22 boosters of 5 cards, which by the odds looks to be about 1 mythic and 5 rares.

In paper MtG, for the same price I get about 1/3rd of a booster box, which is 12 boosters, each with 1 guaranteed rare.

I kind of understand that in this game at least you don't need duplicate rares, but in magic the rares have actual monetary value and can be traded.

As it stands it seems to me given the option to buy some stuff for this game, or buy real mtg cards...

Look its your game, your prices, just some food for thought =)

Comments

• Irving
    Irving Posts: 95
    Options
    Well put. Can't imagine how hard it must be to assemble a good deck if you just picked up the game recently - glad to have started playing when rares and mythics were easier to come by. It's a tremendously fun game that I'd love to spend more money on, but having trouble justifying at these rates... hope that there are enough players like you and me that it's profitable for them to want our business!
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Options
    Irving wrote:
    Well put. Can't imagine how hard it must be to assemble a good deck if you just picked up the game recently - glad to have started playing when rares and mythics were easier to come by. It's a tremendously fun game that I'd love to spend more money on, but having trouble justifying at these rates... hope that there are enough players like you and me that it's profitable for them to want our business!

I can. Got my girlfriend into it and she did the 21 day login every singe day. Didn't miss a single day. No rares or mythics in her fat pack. No rares or mythics in her first crystal purchase. The few rares she has are duplicates. Pretty encouraging to new players for sure icon_e_wink.gif

And with the change in quick battles where level 30s don't get as many points as level 50s, she ends up around 50th place in quick battles and then just stops because there's no point in continuing. This game CAN be a grind for new players, if they want it to be, sure you could suck it up and play a lot a lot a lot a lot to lose one quick battle and then have a more leveled up character for next time..but she doesn't want to make her character better because she doesn't have the cards yet..it's a vicious cycle. I'm glad I got in on day 1.
  • I just realized the dragon hoard is currently on sale.

Apparently its like $50 or $100 without the sale? EDIT: oh oops, no its 20% off. Which means normally it is $37.50