The 50 Token Club

JeffCascadianJeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
edited March 2017 in Theories and Statistics
Out of the four MPQ players in our house, all except the youngest have a habit that we follow with our Standard tokens. We've kind of made a mini-game out of it. We wait until we have at least 50 Standard tokens before turning them in and then we only redeem them until we draw something better than a star.pngstar.png . I suspect we're not the only ones that do something similar.

Today, I found myself with 51 tokens. I opened 16 of them until gaining a star.pngstar.pngstar.png : icon_doctoroctopus.pnggreenflag.png . That's just iso8.png for me as I already have him fully covered although not a Champion. There weren't any star.pngstar.png covers for my Champions but it looks like icon_humantorch.png will be a required character for the next PVE and there was one of his covers so that's good.

Comments

• udonomefooudonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to use standards as "warmup" tokens. I'd open them until I got a 2* or better and then go open whatever tokens I actually wanted to open. I never really believed that it mattered, but I did it anyway.
  • gravelgravel Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    Back when I needed 3 star covers more than ISO, I would wait until I had at least 10, then open all of them in hopes of landing at least one gold one. Now I open them immediately to add the ISO pile for the current project.
  • TxMooseTxMoose Age Unconfirmed Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    for some reason (not sure why), I keep 40 in reserve and pull everything above 40. it used to be 50. can't remember why I lowered it, but that's what I do. I don't hoard but I do keep 40 reserve in case my iso gets tight, would be at least 4K+ in a pinch.
  • MarvelManMarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    I hold on to Standards in case Im missing the 2* that is required as I dont roster a few....Moonboobs and Bullseye being the two I can think of, used to be more (Wolv, Thor, TinyTorch, Cpt M, Hawkeye, Steve werent around before champing....). They are iso for me and a pain to open.....so i dont.
  • XenoberyllXenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I hoard CP to open at the start of the new season
    and Tacos, to get health packs when needed.
    The rest i open right away to get ISO and the occasional champ level.
    Imho selling covers should give at least twice as much ISO btw.
  • y2fitzyy2fitzy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Every day I tell myself I'm going to start hoarding tokens.

Then I see a couple sitting there and my will power disappears. I am pathetic
  • Cousin SimpsonCousin Simpson Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to sit on tokens till I had 40, which is roughly the number you need in order to draw 3* or better.
  • TilesmasherTilesmasher Age Unconfirmed Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    A few weeks ago I added up the total iso I would need to max and champion all my heroes, it was a little over 5,000,000.

Every token I get I open immediately, I don't believe there's any correlation between opening en masse and getting desireable covers, and I need the iso far too much to wait.
  • justplainchipsjustplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I read about this a few weeks ago somewhere here on the forums. It was probably the OP that mentioned it. I started doing it and really enjoy it so far.

I also decided to track my results because reasons. icon_razz.gif
    % of non-1*	     Date	   # of pulls 	who pulled	     # of 2*s	
    15.38%             3/8/2016       13         Mohawk black	     1                  total pulls    total 2*s    total 3*s
    14.71%             3/9/2016       34         Hood blue	        4                          145         16            5
    10.00%             3/13/2016      20         Patch red	        1		                       				
    40.00%             3/15/2016      10         Hulk green          3		                       % of 2*s	11.03%				
    8.00%              3/16/2016      50         NO ONE :(           4		                       % of 3*s	3.45%				
    22.22%             3/23/2016      18         Iron Fist purple 	3

• MarvelManMarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    A few weeks ago I added up the total iso I would need to max and champion all my heroes, it was a little over 5,000,000.

Every token I get I open immediately, I don't believe there's any correlation between opening en masse and getting desireable covers, and I need the iso far too much to wait.

Id say there is a correlation between opening immediately, getting covers you want.....and having enough iso to use them all. Just another reason Im currently hoarding most tokens: I cant earn enough ISO to be able to use all my covers.
  • JeffCascadianJeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Some days you're the dog. Some days you're the fire hydrant.

I hit 50 covers again this morning. I opened all 50 without a single star.pngstar.pngstar.png . To make matters worse, the only useable cover for me was a star.pngstar.pngicon_humantorch.png and that's only because he's a required character for "Venom Bomb."

On the bright side, selling the other 49 covers gave me enough iso8.png to bring my star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_thor.png to 166. I placed high enough in "Enemy of the State" that I received a couple of extra covers for him so he's going to be my next Champion (after I earn roughly 4000 more iso8.png to unlock that status).

So...0 Standard tokens remaining. Looks like I won't be reporting results for at least a week. icon_e_wink.gif
  • rawfsurawfsu Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I'm currently hoarding for the whole season. I'll make sure to post here once I open them all. Right now, I think I'm at 60.
    I had some amazing luck and so got to start 3 pulls this weekend.

First on Saturday it only took 6 tokens to grab
    icon_hood.pngyellowflag.png
    My hood is already at 5/5/3 and I'm debating on whether to champ him or not.

Then on Sunday it took a mere 2 tokens to grab my next 3*
    icon_scarletwitch.pngpurpleflag.png
    which brings her to
    3/1/1

It didn't take long to refill those two tokens to start another pull. This one took longer and came in at 31 tokens for
    icon_bullseye.pngpurpleflag.png
    which brings him to
    4/0/5
    I'm desperate for a black cover!

Here are the updated stats:
    total pulls 184
    total 2*s 18
    total 3*s 8

% of 2*s 9.78%
    % of 3*s 4.35%
    I made it back up to 50 after having been completely out a few days ago. I only had to open eight to receive a star.pngstar.pngstar.png , icon_loki.pngblackflag.png which was sold for iso8.png since I already have him fully covered but he's not a Champion. The single star.pngstar.png cover was for icon_wolverine.png and he is a Champion for me. Hello, 50 heropointsbig.png !

star.png = 6
    star.pngstar.png = 1
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png = 1
  • MaxxPowerzMaxxPowerz Age Unconfirmed Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I don't understand the complaint that people don't open up their tokens because they don't have the iso. This seems kind of silly to me. The only reason I might not open my tokens right away is because I fear I will get a character I don't have the HP to roster. Even if you can't level your characters up more covers is better than none; especially when that character is boosted.
    Having opened only eight earlier, it didn't take me long to build up to 50 yet. Thank you, Lightning Rounds.

Not good results this time, though. 50 tokens. Only 3 star.pngstar.png and no star.pngstar.pngstar.png . Of the star.pngstar.png covers, only one was for a Champion.

Running totals:

star.png 53
    star.pngstar.png 4
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png 1
  • ammenellammenell Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    i opened about 80 tokens between my last 3* pull and the one before that.

standard tokens are a joke.
    ammenell wrote:
    standard tokens are a joke.

They're still a better reward than 70 iso8.png . Worst case scenario, a star.png cover, is still worth 100 iso8.png . icon_e_smile.gif
  • bobbyfishbobbyfish Age Unconfirmed Posts: 299
    I usually open every 20, but I quite like your idea of stopping at a 2*.

I've been a bit impatient lately and just clearing them, but I did open 5 yesterday and get 2 3* from it (Cyclops and Spidey) which was rather nice!
    LRs helped bring me quickly up to 50 tokens again.

This latest pull only took 13 tokens to get me a
    icon_hulk.pnggreenflag.png
    which was used to level my champed Hulk up to level 173 (my highest level char other than a one cover [email protected])

I also pulled a single star.pngstar.png (champ level for 2Cap)
    Updated stats:
    total pulls 197
    total 2*s 19
    total 3*s 9

% of 2*s 9.64%
    % of 3*s 4.57%