**** Quake (Daisy Johnson) ****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like a very solid character (if not quite top tier because she lacks self-acceleration), and a well designed one in that she looks to have multiple usable builds. The gap between 3 and 5 covers on all her powers is significant, and all 3 powers have some value.

So 5/3/5 is ideal against any opponent that doesn't have an air attack. 3/5/5 if she is playing with a teammate that has a superior green (rulk?). And 5/5/3 is probably the weakest option since the board control and ap denial from blue is excellent, but maybe if you want to play her with iceman and save blue for stuns?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5 if you're not worried about AOE, 3/5/5 if teamed with Iceman/Rulk/JG, 5/5/3 if you need the AOE mitigation and have no better option on green (because straight damage is better than active board control).
  • maximumboo
    maximumboo Posts: 14 Just Dropped In
    Does her yellow reduce the carnage's red damage that hurts the whole team?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    maximumboo wrote:

Reading the description, it should not reduce your own carnage aoe dmg. Since it says that it reduce enemy damage
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    maximumboo wrote:

Reading the description, it should not reduce your own carnage aoe dmg. Since it says that it reduce enemy damage
    Pretty sure he meant the damage inflicted by the enemy's carnage. Good question, since abilities like that and SL purple aren't typical AoE attacks.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    maximumboo wrote:

Pretty sure he meant the damage inflicted by the enemy's carnage. Good question, since abilities like that and SL purple aren't typical AoE attacks.
    if its enemy aoe, I think it will definitely reduce it.

So for attacks like thor green and carnage red, it will not reduce the single target dmg but will reduce the aoe dmg.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Got icon_quake.pngyellowflag.png and blueflag.png from the PVE, and already I'm liking that blue. Her essential node in the Simulator has her going against XFW/Antman/Elektra, and I used it to quickly shut down Antman's Ants!Ants!Ants! countdowns. Battle didn't last that long (she had Rulk and IMHB with her), but I can see that blue doing the same to his purple and blue, as well as denying XFW black, or quickly knocking out Elektra's Shadowstep or Ballet of Death tiles, especially at 5 covers. I like this, I don't think we've had a power quite so utilitarian as this. It's got a way to screw up anyone's gameplan, or support characters who spawn enemy special tiles (Patch/Carnage/4* Venom. )

That said, I doubt the AI will use it intelligently on defense, probably picking a color at random. If we're lucky, it might be coded to select color based on enemy special tiles. Still, those other two powers should still be solid with the AI.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some things I have noticed about her Blue which I haven't seen mentioned specifically yet:

You can target Team Up tiles. Since there's no AP generation on the tile destruction, it makes more sense to remove the tiles that you were never interested in matching anyway. Of course, even when you're fielding a Rainbow team, you're unlikely to be prioritising every colour, so it still works just as well to thin out an off-colour or for denial.

The tile selected isn't necessarily destroyed by the ability. I know it doesn't say that in the ability description, but those have never been reliably consistent. This is more confirmation that taking Blue to Rank 5 is the right thing to do. If you intend to use Blue for denial then you want to maximise the probability that you're removing the desired tile(s).

Just those two things. I think everything else about this ability has already been discussed.

I really like all her abilities. Her actives are both interesting and, at a glance, I'm willing to say they are both well designed. Even her passive is interesting in as much that it's reall only as strong as her opponent's reliance on AoE abilities, but it helps to define an "RPS" style metagame (at least at the 4* tier). Quake hard counters Jean in the same way that Jean hard counters PX. I'm not sure who hard counters Quake yet - Deadpool's got a few tricks that could slow Quake, but I don't think I'd call him a hard counter. Still, it's very easy to see Quake in the opponent's lineup and make sure you bring a single target nuke to deal with her accordingly.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ice could be seen as a counter of sorts to her passive. Cheap stun followed by the aoe. But for that to work she has to get the stun instead of the 5* or other character
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I'm enjoying playing with her in Simulator. She's splendid.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Mawtful wrote:

The tile selected isn't necessarily destroyed by the ability. I know it doesn't say that in the ability description, but those have never been reliably consistent. This is more confirmation that taking Blue to Rank 5 is the right thing to do. If you intend to use Blue for denial then you want to maximise the probability that you're removing the desired tile(s).

I think this is a biggie! I thought her blue was strong against goons as she can just destroy most if not all same coloured countdown tiles. But with only one cover, not destroying the tile that is the biggest threat (a 1 turn left countown tile, for example) of your choice might be a bit problematic.

Of course with 5 covers and 8 tiles destroyed, there's a good chance you'll hit that tile anyway, but eh, it's not as nice as Kamala Khan, who will turn the tile that you choose green.
  • Hoho69
    Hoho69 Posts: 48
    OK love quake already, with a one level blue power 70 lvl quake, pair him with X force Deadpool and Scarlet witch = potential killing machine. Quake blue is the cheap X force wolverine black, so even at 70 lvl. Quake blue paired with my champion 275 lvl X force Deadpool can cause like a potential 4500 hp damage triggering her blue power.
  • Hoho69
    Kicked the Quake PVE node using this combo I can attest it is quite effective.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Hoho69 wrote:
    OK love quake already, with a one level blue power 70 lvl quake, pair him with X force Deadpool and Scarlet witch = potential killing machine. Quake blue is the cheap X force wolverine black, so even at 70 lvl. Quake blue paired with my champion 275 lvl X force Deadpool can cause like a potential 4500 hp damage triggering her blue power.

It is good, but not as good as WXF black, because the move itself doesn't do 800 damage per tile destroyed, and it doesn't destroy every tile of a color, so less likely to get all of the CfW tiles. Still really good though.
  • Hoho69
    True I consider her backup to XF wolvie paired with XF deadpool..
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Another great use for Daisy is as a counter to the Caltrops producing ninja Kishu.
    I used her in the insane scaling of EotS and at 444 lvl 250 she reduced caltrops damage to 1 for Kishu from level 387-407.
    At the very least this is a niche use for her in any ninja node with Kishu.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another great use for Daisy is as a counter to the Caltrops producing ninja Kishu.
    I used her in the insane scaling of EotS and at 444 lvl 250 she reduced caltrops damage to 1 for Kishu from level 387-407.
    At the very least this is a niche use for her in any ninja node with Kishu.
    I was thinking that as caltrops was making certain teams completely unviable. she could do the same against spies too - probably completely negating the damage. I think the pyros and rocket guys will overcome her passive slightly, but she will take most of the bite out of em for sure. and the lower aoes like shulk and punpun and beast and the lower rulk one get negated. and even the strongest like ice's get really crippled.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Hoho69 wrote:
    The problem I had with that team was that you lose the 2x Deadpool triggers against Caltrops (don't get me wrong, I LOVE what Daisy has done to caltrops).

I like Phoenix, Quake, IM40 a lot so far.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    Hoho69 wrote:
    True I consider her backup to XF wolvie paired with XF deadpool..

Yep. I rocked with those 3 in PVP. Her blue is another good way of shaking the board when you are trying to get black and purple matches and, in a pinch, a decent facsimile of Surgical Strike if you didn't manage to get enough black and you need to finish an opponent before their next turn.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yup, even at 1/1/1, 165, she was a nice complement to xpool (rainbow coverage too). I suspect that she will be even better when maxed (and a fairly strong support character in her own right).

But probably besy to go 5/3/5 on xpool and not 5/5/3. Unfortunate that she pairs so well with the one character that really wants to be hit with a big aoe attack. But maximizing the quake blue, xpool purple synergy isn't worthless.

For extra fun, match xpool and quake with im40. She uses all the green and blue im40 generates, and xpool uses the red and purple. And there is no active black, so you don't miss its absence from recharge. One successfull recharge is enough to: fire red (if you have 1 extra red), fire purple + blue (sometimes even blue×2), and then reshuffle the board. Its a great combo!