Poor 3* Bullseye

Warbringa
Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Ok, so I got to play 3* Bullseye max covered for the first time in his recent PvP event. I don't have him leveled but with his boost it put him at level 165 for me, very near max pre-champion state. I had a lot of fun playing him and he was a lot better than I expected after only playing against him or with loaner versions of him earlier. Since he is so much about tile manipulation, the AI plays him terribly. His purple gave some nice special tile destruction with nice damage and his green was a great targeted board destroyer for setting up AP gain or match 5. His black was a nice too when you focused on getting the last hit in with him although my black is only at 3 for him. My Bullseye is 5/3/5. He paired well with Classic Mags for a full rainbow team and his purple worked very well with Mags yellow weak shields for fodder. The third in my team was Hood for AP control. I enjoyed playing him but alas I will never sink ISO into him even though I found him to be a very useful character and here is why:

1.) His color scheme puts him squarely behind two superior characters in 3* meta with a similar scheme, Blade and Iron Fist. The damage potential of these two is so much greater than Bullseye. Even Iron Fists purple power can effectively create cascades and is a whole lot cheaper than Bullseye's green for AP and Blade's black ability is an underrated ability and it is probably his least covered ability on most builds.
2.) Loki, the other 3* with his same color scheme can be a better support character with his AP draining ability and cheap board shaker. In addition, he works in a nasty combo with Patch very well.
3.) You have to pair him with somebody who makes special tiles so that his purple ability is used enough. You hopefully can target enemy tiles but not all enemy teams will generate tiles or enough to use his purple consistently.

Does anyone else fall in the same camp as I do? Too bad they didn't change up his color scheme to a more rare combination (Purple/Black/Yellow or Purple/Red/Yellow etc.) as I think he is better than 1/2 the 3* out there but just is in an unfortunate color scheme where he is probably the odd man out on most rosters.

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bullseye is actually very unique and probably gets overlooked by a lot of people because of when he came out. I really liked running him with 4Thor and IM40 as his green would create cascades to collect more blue and red. Bullseye's challenge is he is not top tier and you face bullsey too many times in PVE to be constantly viable.
    He pairs really well with Daken, OML, or LC as they all spam special tiles for him to destroy. He is also a good counter to Daken in PVE.
    In PVP the issue is he is a 3* and PVP is really about 4* if you can use your essential 3*. Mine is over 166 and I like using him it is fun to spam strike tiles. I just don't use him much because why bring a 3* when I can use Jeanbuster or 4thor, and IM40 or KP
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Totally agree with you on this one. Bullseye is outmatched by the characters you have mentioned above... But he's so fun to play with. PvE is where he can really create chaos. I enjoy using him as the executioner to finish off a character and get all those strike tiles. I have him Champed and switched him to 5/5/3 just for that purpose. I like to use Cage with him just because Bullseye will always have some time to destroy. While he's not sustainable at any rate, I do use him in PvP with other C team characters while marching my way up to 2k in the season simulator just so I get the most out of my extended roster.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bullseye is so much fun to use in any survival node. It's like he was designed specifically for those. I use him daily in The Big Enchilada, primarily with a couple of other outcasts, Beast and Psylocke. Special tiles galore. Rounds 3 and 4 are usually over in about 2 turns. They are a great team and even if something goes wrong and one of them goes down it's not a big deal as they aren't going to get that much use for the most part.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto, Psylocke and Bullseye is one of my favourite big enchilada teams. Mags is there for the rainbow and to provide special tiles for BE's purple and Psylocke is there for that same reason and also because she has a black ability that makes attack tiles that double up on BE's strike tiles (And her red becomes really cheap too). She may not be the most ideal character but sadly, my BE is still only level 125, so she's the only character with those attributes that doesn't step in too many of BE's colours (since you want to maximise the chances of BE being able to make a match most times when you are about to down a character). I'm guessing Nova or Ghost Rider may be good partners in the future, too.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    He could be stronger, but I don't care, he's one of the best designed characters in the game and super fun. After grinding with HB/IF for a few events in a row there's nothing better for a change of pace than pulling out 3* Bullseye on a multi-wave mission and getting 55 strike tiles on the board. He's my most recent Champ (beat out Hood, Blade, Groot) and I have no regrets.
  • djvkool
    djvkool Posts: 47
    Bullseye is so much fun to use in any survival node. It's like he was designed specifically for those. I use him daily in The Big Enchilada, primarily with a couple of other outcasts, Beast and Psylocke. Special tiles galore. Rounds 3 and 4 are usually over in about 2 turns. They are a great team and even if something goes wrong and one of them goes down it's not a big deal as they aren't going to get that much use for the most part.

Yes, this is spot on

In survival mode, he's best matched with Doom, Mohawk, HT (JS), and IF - when he gets his strike tiles out, and there are some attack tiles handy, you can literally mow down a survival wave in a few turns, especially when the survival node is started of by a couple of goon waves...
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Warbringa wrote:
    3.) You have to pair him with somebody who makes special tiles so that his purple ability is used enough. You hopefully can target enemy tiles but not all enemy teams will generate tiles or enough to use his purple consistently.
    Try Captain Marvel. Her black is fairly cheap, damaging, stuns, and provides an enemy tile for you to clear. After that, Magneto, IM40 are good to fill out the rest.
    Sad that Psylocke is considered an outcast. Since the IM40 update, I'm running him 5/4/4 with Psylocke and Kamala Khan with pretty good success. Three relatively cheap powers to activate KK's passive, and the yellow battery letting you put out several strike tiles before Embiggened Bash. It can lead to a fairly fast kill.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I go Bullseye right, Black Panther Center, and Thor left. Bullseye gets dibs on all kill shots.

http://m.imgur.com/31IokjA

3* Bullseye is absolutely my favorite character in the game. Not best; not by a long shot. But he is incredibly fun.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    3* Bullseye is absolutely my favorite character in the game. Not best; not by a long shot. But he is incredibly fun.

This, 50000x this. Remember this is a game, it should be fun. 3BE is one of those guilty pleasures, wave nodes are his bread and butter, especially if ninjas are around. Kills the attack tiles and gives you boards full of strike tiles. In his PVP , he worked amazingly well with OML, and he captures the essence of the comic character perfectly.

Not to mention, every time contract killer goes off, i yell Huzzah! It is my favorite animation in the entire game.
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    Never rostered him and haven't missed him really. I've tried him a few times as a loaner and I just don't see the need to spend 1000HP on a spot for him.

I get punished by CONSTANTLY pulling 2* Bullseye covers (at least in my head that's why it keeps happening)
  • vtwardo
    vtwardo Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I use him daily in The Big Enchilada, primarily with a couple of other outcasts, Beast and Psylocke. Special tiles galore. Rounds 3 and 4 are usually over in about 2 turns. They are a great team and even if something goes wrong and one of them goes down it's not a big deal as they aren't going to get that much use for the most part.

When I was capping my team around 130-140, I used this exact team. It's quite fun to play and I would use them in the Sim when other characters were healing. Sadly, they've gotten left behind when I started championing my main teams. Bullseye is definitely one of my favorite characters and I'm at the point where I'm going to champ him and have some fun again.
  • icon_bullseye.pngicon_blade.pngicon_daken.png

blade with red maxed

attack tiles galore for bullseyes pink to finish off and activate his black

plus daken's attack tiles really jumps up your attack power

a few turns in and i'm hitting for around 1000 for regular matches
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's also pretty good with Luke Cage. Missing one turn of unbreakable isn't too bad compared with never waiting for setup on his purple.
  • Zyrook
    Zyrook Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I maxed out my Bullseye before champion was a thing and had no regrets. He's okay in PVP, but like everyone has already said he doesn't hold a candle to other green and purple users. Even when he first came out and 4*s hadn't fully taken over PVP, or for people transitioning from 3 to 4 he's not worth it for PVP.

PVE he's a beast. I run icon_bullseye.pngicon_doctoroctopus.pngicon_wolverine.png in survival nodes no questions asked. The color spread on the team is garbage, but their skills are surprisingly complimentary. Patches is constantly throwing down tiles for both teams, that Bull can throw or Doc can insult. I'll often hit round 3 and have literally the entire board covered in friendly strike and attack tiles.

I think Bullseye's problem is he falls into a weird niche. He's more versatile than other niche characters, like Doc Oc and Squirrel Girl thanks to his green, but he plays for endurance over speed, which isn't good for the fast hops the PVP has become.
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I'm all onboard with the bullseye love. Use him every day in the BE and any event with wave nodes. In Enemy of the State he's pretty much an MVP. I play my own meta-game of trying to fill the board with 64 swords to make things more interesting, and it's tons of fun when you do.
  • TheWerebison
    TheWerebison Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

This, 50000x this. Remember this is a game, it should be fun. 3BE is one of those guilty pleasures, wave nodes are his bread and butter, especially if ninjas are around. Kills the attack tiles and gives you boards full of strike tiles. In his PVP , he worked amazingly well with OML, and he captures the essence of the comic character perfectly.

Not to mention, every time contract killer goes off, i yell Huzzah! It is my favorite animation in the entire game.

Hrm. May have to level him up more. Sounds like he would be fun not just against ninjas, but also those wicked Ultron goons that pop out special tiles with nearly every match.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    As others have mentioned, he really shines in any survival node, and of course is awesome in the Enchilada. I've been using Lazy Daken/Bullseye/Falcon for several weeks now and it doesn't take long for the pain train to get rolling.

He's also handy to punch through seed teams ridiculously quickly.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the next pve Bullseye is boosted along with Carnage and Black Panther. Can't wait.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bullseye/Cyclops/Mystique could be a really fun team in said pve.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really really like him. Just a totally fun character to play with, especially when boosted so that Contract Killer procs more. There's nothing quite like finishing a match with pretty much the whole board covered in friendly strike tiles icon_cool.gif