**** Sam Wilson (Captain America) ****

Comments

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Additionally -- in the past few months, has anyone with a fairly maxed FalCap had more time to try him out since franckynight's post above? Any thoughts? Mine's very undercovered but I'd be curious to hear others' opinions, groupings that have worked, etc.!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    My biggest problem with this guy is RNG, I don't know if you have had the same problem.

Thing is in his PvE I won a blue cover. Then another blue cover as progression. I won one yellow in a legendary I think. Then another blue as progression. Another yellow in progression and another blue in legendary. Final result? He is 2/4/0, so he is completely useless :S :S :S

I hope I can win at least one red cover before his 4 DDQ.

But this demonstrates the problems with one trick ponys. If you can't get enough red, he is useless. Even though there are others like RH for example that just have one attacking power, at least he has another power that helps build that one. Captain is not like that. He needs the 14 red, and not only that, he needs to cast first yellow, so it is even worse :S If blue/yellow helped a little to get the red he would be far superior...
  • Marc_Spector
    Polares wrote:
    My biggest problem with this guy is RNG, I don't know if you have had the same problem.

HA; I have. icon_e_biggrin.gif I got one of each cover when he debuted, but haven't gotten another red/blue in these 3 months since... while his yellow is at 4 or 5 by now. (I can't even remember, having no occasion to use him just yet)
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like all protect tile characters, they are lacking. The devs need to take a serious look at protect tiles. You need to either triple to quadruple their protection or just scrap them for something else. Take Squirell girl, her protect end the turn, those things to block upwards of 2000 dmg or more.

I think a very nice solution would be to have the tiles block a % of the dmg instead of a flat number. Instead of each tile protects 200, how about each tile protects 5% of the dmg. Now you give protect tiles some teeth and make people actually want to use them or avoid them. They are a speed bump when they should be a wall.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    from the notes on tomorrow's update

"Sam Wilson (Captain America) has had an increase in his power levels. You’ll see an increase in all of his abilities at all levels."

I wonder what they'll be.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder what they'll be.
    Survey says, "meaningless"
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks to PvP progression and some odd Legendary pulls I now have one cover of each color for Sam in my queue. Mine is 5/4/4 at the moment, and I am wondering what the optimal build would be.
    Red at 5 is a given. Maxing the damage output is rarely a bad idea. All Powers have a significant Power jump from 4 covers to 5 covers, so it's pretty much between 5/3/5 or 3/5/5.
    At first I figured 3/5/5 might be good since yellow feeds red equally well at any level. Right now I am thinking the Power jump to 5 yellow is a lot more useful than the Power jump to 5 blue, so I'm leaning towards 5/3/5.

One possible option is to save up 200K ISO and champ him Before the covers expire, but I'd rather put that ISO into Rulk...
  • Quebbster
    OJSP wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Thanks to PvP progression and some odd Legendary pulls I now have one cover of each color for Sam in my queue. Mine is 5/4/4 at the moment, and I am wondering what the optimal build would be.
    Red at 5 is a given. Maxing the damage output is rarely a bad idea. All Powers have a significant Power jump from 4 covers to 5 covers, so it's pretty much between 5/3/5 or 3/5/5.
    At first I figured 3/5/5 might be good since yellow feeds red equally well at any level. Right now I am thinking the Power jump to 5 yellow is a lot more useful than the Power jump to 5 blue, so I'm leaning towards 5/3/5.

One possible option is to save up 200K ISO and champ him Before the covers expire, but I'd rather put that ISO into Rulk...
    I suppose it depend on who you want to pair him with? If 3* Steve Rogers or Ghost Rider, I can see 3/5/5 is better.

As a standalone character/last man standing, he's better 5/3/5, isn't he? Except when fighting against 3* Captain Marvel with 5 Photonic Blasts, where it doesn't really matter if Wings of Liberty is at 3 or 5. It might make a slight difference having him 5/3/5, if we could starve Captain Marvel of any red matches.. but if the last DDQ proved something, it was almost impossible.
    That's basically what I am thinking. I prefer to build characters so they can stand on their own, so I suppose 5/3/5 is the way to go for me. If I can buff some tiles that's a bonus...
  • Polares
    Quebbster wrote:
    OJSP wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

I suppose it depend on who you want to pair him with? If 3* Steve Rogers or Ghost Rider, I can see 3/5/5 is better.

As a standalone character/last man standing, he's better 5/3/5, isn't he? Except when fighting against 3* Captain Marvel with 5 Photonic Blasts, where it doesn't really matter if Wings of Liberty is at 3 or 5. It might make a slight difference having him 5/3/5, if we could starve Captain Marvel of any red matches.. but if the last DDQ proved something, it was almost impossible.
    That's basically what I am thinking. I prefer to build characters so they can stand on their own, so I suppose 5/3/5 is the way to go for me. If I can buff some tiles that's a bonus...

If the vote is 3/5/5 is for a reason icon_e_wink.gif

5 in yellow is not going to stop any strong attack (even though it can help more against AoE, that is true), and for match damage 3 is enough. But the difference in blue from 3 to 5 is A LOT (from 90 to 258), and it makes Falcap useful in some other teams (like GR+ProfX+FalCap).

And even when playing 1vs1 you can cast yellow and then made the tiles stronger with blue, so with 3/5/5 you can end up with even stronger shields than 5/3/5 if you do 2-3 blue matches.

Now, If I could get some red covers ... (Mine is 5/5/3 icon_e_sad.gif )
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    OJSP wrote:

And even when playing 1vs1 you can cast yellow and then made the tiles stronger with blue, so with 3/5/5 you can end up with even stronger shields than 5/3/5 if you do 2-3 blue matches.

Now, If I could get some red covers ... (Mine is 5/5/3 icon_e_sad.gif )

I agree with your logic, but I too have no practical experience with him as mine is sitting at 1/2/0. And my Taco vault has Yellow in it, JOY!
  • Quebbster
    I opened a bunch of Legendaries last night and got a whole bunch of new Sam covers, so I guess I am championing him after all. Then I can experiment a bit and see if I prefer 3/5/5 or 5/3/5.
  • Marc_Spector
    Quebbster wrote:
    I opened a bunch of Legendaries last night and got a whole bunch of new Sam covers, so I guess I am championing him after all. Then I can experiment a bit and see if I prefer 3/5/5 or 5/3/5.

Thanks, Quebbster! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on those
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    A thought occurred to me on the twentieth or so try at his crash today. His blue really ought to fortify the strengthened tiles.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    A thought occurred to me on the twentieth or so try at his crash today. His blue really ought to fortify the strengthened tiles.

Great idea. Perhaps more feasible than fixing the CD reduction thing, which I suspect would take coding manually an exception for each ability whose CD should be increased instead of decreased.
  • Polares
    Pylgrim wrote:

Great idea. Perhaps more feasible than fixing the CD reduction thing, which I suspect would take coding manually an exception for each ability whose CD should be increased instead of decreased.

Not a bad idea, and probably makes more sense thematically than reducing countdowns. A pitty that this change would break the GR+ProfX+CapFalcon combo, but a part from that I am all for it.

PS: But devs never rework old chars with new abilities icon_e_sad.gif
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:

Said Ragnarok.

• Polares
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Said Ragnarok.

Yeah you are right, in his third rework, and after 4hor was nerfed they though adding charged tiles to his powers would make him suck less. But they changed his powers completely ala Magneto, I doubt they are going to change anything just for a small change. But hey, I hope I am wrong.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Said Ragnarok.

Yeah you are right, in his third rework, and after 4hor was nerfed they though adding charged tiles to his powers would make him suck less. But they changed his powers completely ala Magneto, I doubt they are going to change anything just for a small change. But hey, I hope I am wrong.

Fortifying isn't actually a small change. It could potentially change a segment of battles if it becomes something more than an obscure ability only used by a single 5*.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    personally i think that he is interesting but he is off. His yellow is strong and decently priced. His blue does not do enough/synergize enough. His red can be brutal but only if someone takes the time to 23 ap. While having enough yellow on the board to actually make his yellowflag.png add some real damage.

I think a decent fix would be

Make blue scale more on the specials like 3*falc

Aerial Avenger - redtile.png PASSIVE
    (PASSIVE) Captain America whips around the battlefield, giving his team an aerial advantage while coordinating their battle-plan from above. Whenever his team makes a red match, Sam Wilson strengthens 1 friendly special tile by 22.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Strengthens a friendly special tile by 29.
    Level 3: Also reduces the timer on a friendly Countdown tile by 1.
    Level 4: Strengthens 2 friendly special tiles by 41.
    Level 5: Strengthens 3 friendly special tiles.
    Max Level
    Level 3: Strengthens 1 tile by 90. Reduces 1 friendly Countdown by 1.
    Level 4: Strengthens 2 tiles by 129. Reduces 1 friendly Countdown by 1.
    Level 5: Strengthens 3 tiles by 129. Reduces 1 friendly Countdown by 1.

I still think redwing is a better ability just for its clean up but that would give people a real reason to go 5 blue.

or make red weaker but cheaper

Dive Bomb - 9 bluetile.png AP
    Captain America soars high before swooping down towards his opponent, using the strength of his shield to deliver a powerful blow. Deals 559 damage, plus 84 for every friendly Protect tile on the board.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 5: Deals 5000 damage, plus 665 for every friendly Protect tile.

That brings his damage in line with lady thor with the added bonus of protect tiles. Which i think is pretty decent considering he has no ap gen.

I think one of the other big issues with falcap is that there are so few good synergies. If you are going to focus on big tiles then you need to bring a blue user and right there you are left with beast, rocket, cap, or fury (all active blue users with special tiles) Beast and rocket are interesting for cooldown reduction but then again you are bringing a three star to a four star battle and their specials go on blue limiting match potential for the passive. Probably the best person to bring along would be fury. You get very strong strike tile that benefits from cdr plus a blue that when matched will do damage.

Kingpin is also a pretty decent partner to him but again means that a blue user is needed.

If they were to change his color scheme then i think he would be much much more interesting. Red is already such a strong color, blue is pretty weak in the grand scheme of things (except for big stuns) and yellow is the only good way to get protect tiles off. If they even just switched his Red and blue powers i think he could be much more interesting. Freeing red would allow for Xpool combo, lady thor, hulkbuster, etc..

Furthermore, there is not a lot of blue tile gen up other than Iceman where as there is a ton of red gen.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Fortifying isn't actually a small change. It could potentially change a segment of battles if it becomes something more than an obscure ability only used by a single 5*.

Perhaps one approach they could use would be for some characters to only fortify their own tiles so you could have things like this Cap fortifying his own protects, Vision creating fortified density tiles etc. without it being too dramatic a change.