SHould I continue to champion 3*s?

Options
nigelregal
nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
edited March 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Here are the 3* I have left to champion. http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/NigelRegal2/

Level 153
Spider-Man

Level 140
Psylocke
Loki

Level 120:
Vision
Captain Marvel
Colossus
Gamora
Bullseye
Daken
Sentry
Storm
Hood
Squirrel Girl
Mystique

I've just saving up ISO right now and all covers I win for them. I have 5 Colossus, 2 Bullseye, 3 Captain Marvel, 3 vision, 2 Loki, Psylocke and likely will get a few more.

I have iceman championed currently. I also have 4* Thing at 13 covers, X-23 at 12 covers, and antman at 11 covers that I can put ISO into. Should I just let my 3*s stay where they are or put a couple up? I don't see myself really using any of these characters much outside of PVP and essentials but maybe i'm missing out on some synergy with them and others I have not tried.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    really depends on what type of game you want to play. I know some advocate completely hoarding tokens until every single 3* is maxed and champed, then having a token party and basically immediately having nearly level 200 characters. that takes lots of time and patience. I know one that has already done this step. his next step is to hoard all those LTs that he got from champing and all his cp until he gets all/most of his 4s maxed/champed. that will likely happen in about 18 months or so. then he will have so much from that, he'll likely immediately have several usable 5*s and super strong 4s. but in the meantime all he's doing is gathering iso for 4* levels. that is a longer game than I have the patience for. I hoard until my ADD overtakes my OCD and then I pull groups. personally I've moved on from my 3s. I might revisit them some day. if I finish 4thor, xpool, thing, do some with SS and OML (if I ever get that yellow) and all I have left is xfw and kp, I may consider it then, but that is still months away and this game changes so much, I can't make super long-term plans for something I know will change between now and then.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I've got four of the 3*'s you listed as champions - Vision, Capt Marvel, Daken, and Mystique. I like all of them personally, but honestly though, if you think your are ready to focus on a 4* roster ( and Iceman and Thing are a decent 4* corner to stand on), I would only worry about championing Capt Marvel of that group. As I play more and more with 4*, I'm re-evaluating my 3*'s, looking at AP generation instead of damage dealing. That's why people still love Iron fist and and Scarlet witch, or Hulk, or why most people have gone IM40 happy since his revamp. They make great supports for 4*'s to get them where they need to be. If you can get her to tank hits, she's a great source of red and black.

A caveat tho - She won't tank for Thing much, thanks to his yellow passive, and she won't help Iceman at all on his powers. And your champed IM40 will supply the same red supply (plus others) without having to take damage. But In some cases, like essentials or Heroic PVE's, she may be your only option (she pairs really well with Hulk buster)

Also, keep in mind the 4* long game. You may never use some of them but you still will get covers for them, so you might want to invest in championing some of them, for the 4* rewards they'll eventually give you. Here's the thread with the full list of who gives what champ rewards:

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37687

Vision may not be your thing, but he will give you one more 4th Cyclops red cover, Sentry will give you Red Hulk green, and so on as they progress (I skipped Sentry tho myself, he's never fun to play)
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One other consideration is that if you play lightning rounds, it's nice to have the featured maxed. Since it seems they are never going to change the featured characters for LRs (insert emoji of eyes rolling so hard the emoji has a gran mal seizure and dies) Mystique, Loki and Gamora are the obv ones I see on your list.

That being said, I still haven't maxed Myst and Gamora myself. I'd like to, but I put all my iso into 4s.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    nigelregal wrote:
    I don't see myself really using any of these characters much outside of PVP and essentials but maybe i'm missing out on some synergy with them and others I have not tried.

Based on the first part of this statement, I'd say no. I am continuing to champion my 3*, 19 left at 140, but I am willing to admit, it's solely an LT grab for 69k ISO. Outside of their PVP and essentials, I likely won't use them. I'm able to hit my other MPQ goals, collecting covers, hitting 1.3k in PVP and finishing T2 in new release PVEs, so there's no need for me to prioritize maxing my 4*, which the majority of, are at 200.

It's a game, you should do what maximizes your fun in the game. I like opening tokens and getting a shot at GG, and collecting as many covers of new release characters that I can. My roster is built to maximize my goals.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't keep spending on 3* champions is you have usable 4*, which it appears that you do. The only reason that I continue to spend on 3* is that I don't have 4* that I can feasibly use yet. I eventually plan on champing 3 more 3* ( icon_ironman.pngicon_daredevil.pngicon_loki.png ) and start saving for 4*. I might make an exception for icon_shehulk.png when I get enough covers for her and any other 3* that they revamp like IM40 to make really really good.