Imbalanced Mana Crystal Rewards for Quick Battle Events

Options
Mikeymike
Mikeymike Posts: 24
It's pretty clear that D3 wants to make it more difficult to get Mana Crystals with the recent chances to the solo mission's 2nd-order goal rewards. I don't like that change personally, but I get it.

However, it is extremely strange to me that finishing anywhere between 17-101 in the Quick Battle Events will win you Mana Crystals, but finishing 1-16 wins you Runes. I of course realize that finishing 1-16 also wins you guaranteed rares and boosters, but if I am a bit low on time for a particular QBE I will gladly fall into the 17-101 range to get Mana Crystals instead of grinding for those boosters.

I am not at all suggesting that you take away the Mana Crystals from 17-101 - please keep them, but you should also give them for finishing 1-16 as well. I don't need more Runes, especially when just 9 match victories will win me more Runes than I get for finishing 1st in the QBE. But I do need Mana Crystals, and if they were part of the reward package for a top-16 finish it would supply me the extra motivation to push for such a finish.

Anywho, doing really well should reward you with the most desirable currency in the game, and that currency is Mana Crystals.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• They give you greater or equal the number of equivalent runes through card packs.

As long as you have a decent enough buffer of crystals for inevitable new planeswalkers, you should be fine.

It is still worth it to go for 2-6 but 7-16 is kinda meh, esp during double crystal quick battles.
  • pandabear wrote:
    They give you greater or equal the number of equivalent runes through card packs.

As long as you have a decent enough buffer of crystals for inevitable new planeswalkers, you should be fine.

It is still worth it to go for 2-6 but 7-16 is kinda meh, esp during double crystal quick battles.

I would always take 5 pack over 30 crystals, when it's a normal 5 pack.
    To me it looks like the quick battle reward packs have lower rates then the ones you bought with crystals. If this turns out to be true then crystal are more interesting - at least for me.

A fatpack is something else of cause. Even a bad fp is better then 30/60 crystals.
  • Mikeymike
    Options
    pandabear wrote:
    They give you greater or equal the number of equivalent runes through card packs.

I agree that winning the real booster pack is more efficient comparatively can 30 crystals, it's more about at that 1-16 finish what is really the point of getting Runes? In order to finish that high you probably won in the neighborhood of 50 or so matches, which is good for 15,000 Runes anyway. So what purpose does the additional 1,500-2,500 serve? They should really just be crystals.

And given that I get crystals for 'settling' to not finish in the top 16, it makes me less compelled to grind hard for that booster pack. Beyond that the reason I specifically want crystals is because I like being able to buy Fat Packs w/o needing to spend an inordinate amount of time to finish in the top 6.
    Nerimos wrote:
    I would always take 5 pack over 30 crystals, when it's a normal 5 pack.
    To me it looks like the quick battle reward packs have lower rates then the ones you bought with crystals. If this turns out to be true then crystal are more interesting - at least for me.

A fatpack is something else of cause. Even a bad fp is better then 30/60 crystals.
    Sure the pack is better because you need 60 crystals anyway to buy a pack. But I'd argue that you can win 30 crystals in a given event in about 1/2 that actual time spent to finish in that 17-26 range vs 7-16, and you get a basic booster out of it in the process.

Some back-of-napkin math
    Push for a 7-16 finish
    - Spend 6 hours
    - Get a rare and a booster pack

Setle for 2 17-26 finishes
    - Spend 6 hours (3 hours x 2)
    - Get 2 rares and 60 crystals (1 booster pack), and 2 basic boosters

That is why I am less incentivised to push for the booster pack.
  • You don't have to be super incentivized to push for it.

If it isn't worth the effort for you the. It isn't worth the effort. Be happy that it is such a good reward for such an easy placement
  • Mikeymike
    Options
    With all due respect, you still aren't answering my question with regards to the primary point:

What is the purpose of winning runes 1-16 when you already win 10x as many naturally during the course of the event? And if you agree there is no purpose to the runes, why shouldn't those just be crystals?
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    For the time being, the only thing you candle spend 'mana crystals' (used to calling them gold) on is potions and packs. If you are getting top 6, you probably have at least 2 walkers at high level and don't need potions anyways.

Although the first couple weeks since the update have shown packs won through QP have lower draw rates, it could be bad luck

So, you are looking at 30-60 crystals for 17-?? (Don't really remember), 60 crystals plus a rare for 7th - 16th, 200 crystals plus a rare for 2nd - 6th, 200 crystals and a mythic for 1st.

If they do keep future walkers at low gold cost (10-50), then pvp is still really generous, and the gold amounts give people the option of either spending immediately on boosters, or saving for fatpacks/big boxes, or saving for any gold needed for walkers.

By offering gold for top 16 as well, you ensure one thing

If I have all mythics and rares of a certain color, instead of pushing for 17th, I'm gonna go for 1st, meaning one less person who could actually use the rares/mythics is not going to get them. I'm sure I'm not alone, and eventually, top 6 could end up being 6 players who don't need any cards whatsoever who are just hoarding gold

This became an issue early in MPQ when we could sell 3* covers for Hero coins. It didn't matter that I had a fully covered and leveled ragnarok. I was still gonna make sure I got 1st or 2nd just so I could have a few more hero coins instead of letting someone who needed the covers get them
  • To be fair the runes are way too low.

Generally, the avg rune won prior was 50-100 for high bracket and 100-150 for low level scumming.

So currently since we get 300 per win we should be getting around triple what we currently are.

I propose 9000 12000 15000 runes for the top 3 brackets.