***** Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) *****

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    udonomefoo wrote:
    purpleflag.png Bombs: Steals 3 AP of 3 random colors per bomb.

Purple steals up to 27 ap? icon_eek.gif
    Isnt it 9?

Depends on if that's 3ap EACH of 3 random colors or 3ap total of 3 random colors. Their wording always bothers me. Why not just say 1 ap each of 3 random colors. It's prob 3 total per bomb for a total potential of 9, but given how op the 5's are anyway, who knows.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    From the "interview" about Green Goblin:

"
    Err...why would Cap hate getting his Red and Blue AP back? And I'm shocked they didn't mention that you can protect Starlord's countdowns. After all, everyone goes well with Starlord, right?

Sarcasm me thinks.
  • thetimelord
    thetimelord Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    udonomefoo wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

Purple steals up to 27 ap? icon_eek.gif
    Isnt it 9?

Depends on if that's 3ap EACH of 3 random colors or 3ap total of 3 random colors. Their wording always bothers me. Why not just say 1 ap each of 3 random colors. It's prob 3 total per bomb for a total potential of 9, but given how op the 5's are anyway, who knows.

It's pretty OP, I might have been a little off, but think of it as a more powerful version of Loki's mischief.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    My favourite part about Green Goblin is he has no green ability because why should he? It's only in the first part of his name...and costume...and name

His black is OP
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    His yellow ability should have been Green.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Initial impressions from on paper stats:

Black:
    Excellent. 22,509 damage for only 8AP is about half the health of a typical 5* and there are no hoops to jump through to initially activate it! Granted the skill has a chance to be 'lost' after the fact but this is a risk/reward skill that's worth the risk. The fact that this skill essentially one-shots a 4* is notable for those people who haven't fully transitioned to the 5* MMR. This is a very powerful skill that should remain acceptable so long as they don't release a 5* character who generates black as efficiently as Phoenix generates red. Well done!

Purple:
    redflag.png ~11,000 damage to the current target each.
    blueflag.png Random 2 turn stun each
    greenflag.png Destroy 4 random tiles and deal damage each.
    purpleflag.png Steals 3AP from 3 Random enemy colours each.
    yellowflag.png Creates a ~1400 protect tile each.
    blackflag.png Creates a ~1400 strike tile each.

Great. The versatility and power of this skill is insane. D3 was wise to make this skill come with a drawback. The cooldown nature of the ability means you can't completely rely on full impact and the cooldown timer means the colour choice you made might not be optimal when the skill goes off.

Red and Purple are the clear standouts here with green being something that will never be chosen. If the green gave priority to enemy special tiles than it might belong on this list. I'm once again disappointed that Yellow and Black have identical values. This game isn't all about the math. Giving them the same value looks nice on paper but doesn't acknowledge how offense is always preferred to defense in actual play. IMO those protects need to be at least 50% better than the strikes. Both yellow and black could use a buff next to the potential 33,000 spike damage of red.

Yellow:
    Bad. There's no compelling reason to ever bump this beyond 3 covers. The AP cost to reduce CD's by only 1 is asking a lot as well. This doesn't feel like a 5* skill. At all. That being said the passive is interesting and definitely helps the character overall in terms of consistency. This is a poorly designed skill in that its poorly balanced against his other two skills. 5* tier is still young of course...there's room to make this more impressive with future releases. I question the decision to limit the cooldown timer reduction to just 1 turn though. Seems like that should improve with covers as well...especially at 5 yellow.

Initial Build:
    5/5/3.
    Yellow does everything you need it to do at 3 covers. Simple as that.

Overall:
    Top tier.
    This is honestly a tough character to judge in my ranking system. On one hand his damage output is incredible and he requires fewer hoops than Phoenix and OML to go online. On the other hand there's really not a good duo team for this character. You absolutely want to cast his purple and his black which means he directly conflicts with what makes OML deadly and what makes Phoenix quick/deadly (before she dies).

It's worth pointing out that Green Goblin and Black Suit Spidey form a near rainbow team that effectively counters what OML/Phoenix does best. Completely shutting down strikes while dealing huge spike damage and stuns to overcome healing. That's some interesting counter play in such a small batch of characters. Kudos D3!

The reason I rank Green Goblin 3rd is because of his lack of sustained play. I'm sure you could argue that he's better than Phoenix and/or OML in a single battle context but this is a team based game. Goblin doesn't mesh beautifully with OML or Phoenix and when paired with Spidey they'll become a health pack drain over time. Phoenix/OML is incredible for saving health packs and they pack enough punch to get the job done even if you have to spam their skills quite a bit to do so. As new characters come out it's entirely possible Green Goblins rank will increase.

Current 5* Ranking:
    1) OML
    2) Phoenix
    3) Green Goblin
    4) Spider-Man
    5) Silver Surfer
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:

The reason I rank Green Goblin 3rd is because of his lack of sustained play. I'm sure you could argue that he's better than Phoenix and/or OML in a single battle context but this is a team based game. Goblin doesn't mesh beautifully with OML or Phoenix and when paired with Spidey they'll become a health pack drain over time. Phoenix/OML is incredible for saving health packs and they pack enough punch to get the job done even if you have to spam their skills quite a bit to do so. As new characters come out it's entirely possible Green Goblins rank will increase.

Current 5* Ranking:
    1) OML
    2) Phoenix
    3) Green Goblin
    4) Spider-Man
    5) Silver Surfer

For me I think it is something like this:

1) OML
    2) Green Goblin
    3) Phoenix
    4) Spider-Man
    10) Silver Surfer

I think even though Phoenix can save you some health packs in the long run GG is so much faster than her, and this game is about speed, and Phoenix green is easy to overcome, and GG purple is really great. But it is true that if we talk about teams, OML/Phoenix is better than GG/Spidey and GG and OML should not be in the same team, so I get why you consider Phoenix before him.

I think they 'changed' his green power/color to black on purpose so he would not be the perfect companion for OML. Imagine GG had green, purple, yellow colors, as he should have had, giving yellow to OML but using the passive, and being almost a rainbow team. No reason to get any other 5 icon_razz.gif
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    The passive makes it worthwhile to have at least 3 yellow covers. The active is nothing special, true.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    redflag.png Bombs: Deals 11k dmg to the current target for each bomb.
    blueflag.png Bombs: Stuns a random enemy for 2 turns per bomb.
    greenflag.png Bombs: Destroys 4 random tiles and deals damage per bomb.
    yellowflag.png Bombs: Creates a yellow protect tile of around 1400 per bomb.
    blackflag.png Bombs: Creates a black strike tile of about 1400 per bomb.
    Nice, thanks.

I like the idea of versatility, but geez, when would you ever not want to choose red?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    If he's not leveled up yet, the bombs that don't rely on a power level (blue/purple/green) are going to look more attractive. Plus the bombs get power bumps at different cover levels so even if you do get him to 550, the difference between three covers and five will probably be more extreme than usual for the 5* tier.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Nice, thanks.

I like the idea of versatility, but geez, when would you ever not want to choose red?

Purple is very good too, you can cripple the other team and fuel yours A LOT with it.

I guess that green and blue should have let you decide the targets. Green as it is, is very bland compared to red and purple. I guess that if you are fighting a 400 level muscle that has already created 5 strike tiles in the board for a combined damage of 7k+ each turn, then maybe you would want to use a green bomb...

PS: But yeah, 11k EACH bomb is probably too good to pass, that is 33k damage. It can easily kill one target and cripple another one (not talking 5s of course).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obviously this is before I have played the character, but he seems very strong.

8ap for 22k black is incredible (and completely devastating as an ai power).

The purple ability also seems very strong, basically 6 powers in one. Tons of damage or so theft, or strike tiles, at player's choice.

Yellow is a very weak active power paired with an awesome passive.

5/5/3 seems like the way to go, and looks very strong. Above Phoenix and weaker than OML (still gets a huge bump for true heal).

Also, can we talk about the balance issues in that purple power: 27 ap theft = 33k damage = 4.2k of strikes seems ok (though maybe a bit too much damage or not enough strike tile strength). But all 3 of those equal 12 destroyed tiles + cascade?!!!!!!!!! Demiurge: please fix the internal valuation of boardshake!
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Ok....lemme get this straight....GG has no green (or even red for that matter)....and he is yet another 5* waaaay better than SS....I know they said power in comics doesn't translate to * level....but C'MON!!!! SS could literally destroy like most of the chars in MPQ all at once w/o getting a scratch!!! He could be a boss fight. This is getting ridiculous....we know one of the devs is obviously in love with Logan and Spidey...but this totally sucks for us actual comic fans....how about the next char you update is SS(does anyone even care about Vision?)? So that he is actually relevant and not the IW of the 5* world!!
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    The purple bomb actually says "drains" NOT "steals", but, seeing how there's not much continuity in ability descriptions, "drains" could mean "steals".
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    Nice, thanks.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, Blue will stun the entire team if all 3 tiles activate. Granted that's not 33k to one target, but locking the whole team down for multiple turns is pretty attractive.

edit: Also just occurred to me that all the different effects also gives you the option of choosing the colours least likely to get targeted by the AI, thus helping to ensure they all go off. Though I'm VERY curious to see exactly how the AI makes the choice of which colour to use.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, Blue will stun the entire team if all 3 tiles activate.
    A random stun used to be able to target an already-stunned character. Did they ever change that?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Level 255
    1 Cover:
    Yellow create 232 Yellow Protect
    Red 1619 Damage
    Blue 1 Turn random stun
    Green Destroys 3 random tiles (Doesn't generate AP)
    Black 232 Black Strike Tile
    Purple Drains 3 AP from 2 random colors
    2 Covers:
    Yellow 278 Yellow Protect
    Red 1937 Damage
    Black 278 Black Strike
    3 Covers:
    Yellow 325 Yellow Protect
    Red 2256 Damage
    Blue Random 2 turn stun
    Green Destroy 4 Random tiles (Doesn't generate AP)
    Black 325 Black Strike
    Purple Drains 3 AP from 3 random colors
    4 Covers: Ditto
    5 Covers:
    Yellow 358 Yellow Protect
    Red 2482 Damage
    Black 358 Black Strike

Level 450
    3 Covers:
    Yellow 1306 Black Strike
    Red 9067 Damage
    Black 1306 Black Strike
    4 Covers: Ditto
    5 Covers:
    Yellow 1439 Yellow Protect
    Red 9974 Damage
    Black 1439 Black Strike

There you go. Properly described Pumpkin bombs at 3-5 covers and min/max. Feel free to format that all nice an pretty like and add in the flavor text...I don't get paid near enough to mess with that.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    How many tiles are destroyed by green at 5 purple covers?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    simonsez wrote:
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, Blue will stun the entire team if all 3 tiles activate.
    A random stun used to be able to target an already-stunned character. Did they ever change that?

Yes. I believe the new rules are: Random stun never stuns characters that can't be stunned or already-stunned characters (unless they are the only characters available).
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    4-tiles at 5 purple for Green. Red/Yellow/Black are the only colors that improve any after 3 colors (and those only by about 10% which seems crazy low).