Dump ISO into 5* or continue 4* transition

GuidedByVoices
GuidedByVoices Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
edited February 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Have about 12 3* champed and have now moved into spending most of my ISO into leveling up my 4* characters. However had had some good legendary token pools and currently have SS at 2/2/1 and level 300, and OML at 1/2/1 still at base level as I haven't invested any ISO into him. Am I better off continuing to use my ISO on getting my 4* leveled up or should I be pumping as much as possible into my 5* and then go back to the 4* after maxing them as much as I can for their covers?

Comments

• Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Have about 12 3* champed and have now moved into spending most of my ISO into leveling up my 4* characters. However had had some good legendary token pools and currently have SS at 2/2/1 and level 300, and OML at 1/2/1 still at base level as I haven't invested any ISO into him. Am I better off continuing to use my ISO on getting my 4* leveled up or should I be pumping as much as possible into my 5* and then go back to the 4* after maxing them as much as I can for their covers?

I'm around the same stage, with an SS 0/2/2 and a OML 1/1/2, and I toyed with that idea myself, but ultimately decided to keep focusing on the 4*'s for now, figuring by the time I get 4-6 of them to lvl 270, I'll have amassed enough 5* covers to have at least one of them (or my 0/2/0 Phoenix) in the 8-10 cover range. But it is slow going, so that may not be for you.

I'd just hate to start banking on 5* at their current cover level and then have one of those 5* dry spells others have reported here on the boards. Also scaling worries me, if I only have two characters above lvl 300 and everyone else is almost a 100 behind them. Of course that's a PVE consideration, if you're more PVP focused, that could work, to a point.... where MMR keeps matching you with maxed 5* teams.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    FWIW, I've got a 2/3/3 Surfer and both OML/PHX have 5 covers. I've got just 5 champed 4* (despite 12+ covers of all but the recent 5, thanks iso shortage!) with two more champs pending iso. I'm still intending to focus my iso on 4* after.

That could change if I get lucky with some pulls of OML or PHX, but my feeling is the game is more enjoyable with a breadth of 4* characters, so I want to continue towards that. I don't personally feel like I'm missing anything not prioritizing the 5* characters.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    do you have any maxed 4* yet? if not, you would be directly affecting your scaling and only have 3*s to deal with said scaling. if you have some of the top 4*s maxed, theres no reason not to level an OML that has at least 1/1/1. I'd love to stuff him with iso, but sadly mine is 2/-/5. if that yellow ever drops, look out. I would not recommend putting iso into SS as my top guy at your level unless he has way more covers (i.e. 6-8) and nothing else is ready to move on.

I think it depends on your 4*s but your OML would not be a bad investment.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I waited until I had more OML covers before putting ISO into him. At 1/2/1, I don't think he's going to help you nearly as much as a champed 4* during his boost week. SS, I would ignore completely until he was practically full covered.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    do you have any maxed 4* yet? if not, you would be directly affecting your scaling and only have 3*s to deal with said scaling. if you have some of the top 4*s maxed, theres no reason not to level an OML that has at least 1/1/1. I'd love to stuff him with iso, but sadly mine is 2/-/5. if that yellow ever drops, look out. I would not recommend putting iso into SS as my top guy at your level unless he has way more covers (i.e. 6-8) and nothing else is ready to move on.

My 3/5/1 OML would gladly swap a yellow for a red. Gonna be pretty upset when I pull a 6th yellow (and I assume you'll feel the same when you get a red). Not gonna complain about 9 covers on OML, but could get pretty annoying pretty quickly.

Edit: also, OP, I have OML sitting at 275 w/ a champed JG. Working on champing HB and Icebaby and XFDP, plus have 12 covers on 4*Cyke and Rulk, and plan on keeping OML at 270 until I at least finish HB, Ice, and XFDP (probably a month+ given the ISO drought).
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards

Depends on where do you play the most.

These 5s are going to be destroyed in PvP, because as soon as you level them to 300 and start using them you are going to be paired with max 270+ 4 teams and even 5 teams, and then you will become a target a Jeanbuster team destroys a 300 level SS). So if PvP is your focus I would wait until you 8+ covers for SS or 6+ for OML.

If you play PvE then, I guess you could level them. I guess your scaling is already high because of them, so level them a little is not going to make things worse (and we are supposed to have a fix for scaling soon).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    LordXberk wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

My 3/5/1 OML would gladly swap a yellow for a red. Gonna be pretty upset when I pull a 6th yellow (and I assume you'll feel the same when you get a red). Not gonna complain about 9 covers on OML, but could get pretty annoying pretty quickly.

Edit: also, OP, I have OML sitting at 275 w/ a champed JG. Working on champing HB and Icebaby and XFDP, plus have 12 covers on 4*Cyke and Rulk, and plan on keeping OML at 270 until I at least finish HB, Ice, and XFDP (probably a month+ given the ISO drought).
    a dupe OML that starts with a yellow is not all that bad. one that starts with red, with no yellow coming for the dupe any time soon since I have to fill up my main = completely useless. I'd trade positions with you in a heartbeat, even minus your 1 red. hell, I'd give 2 reds for a yellow. I'd give 2 reds and 2-3 random SS covers for 1 yellow. but enough with the "I got it worse".... the system is severely flawed.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    OP: what kind of scaling do you see in PVE and what are your PVP matches like since you have that 300 Surfer?

I'm in a similar situation to you (bunch of 3* champs and weak 4*s) and am thinking of leveling my 1/2/0 OML to 300 to help with the 4* transition. But still worried that may backfire if the scaling/MMR then outpaces my roster.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Soma/