Quick Battle Reward Rarity Upgrade Chance?

Options
Rootbreaker
Rootbreaker Posts: 396
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
The quick battle rewards all say things like "Uncommon Guaranteed, Chance of Rare" or "Rare Guaranteed, Chance of Mythic."

I haven't seen any upgrades yet. Have you?

Any official info on the chance of upgrades? Does it get higher at the higher tiers?

Comments

• The_Leftist
    Options
    Not sure, but we could get a decent preview if we got enough people to say what place they got, and whether or not they got the better rarity.

If you want, I could start collecting data on FB and Reddit if you want to start collecting data here on the forums
  • My personal record is 0/2 rare upgrades =P I have not really been playing too much.

Hypothesis: the chance is a lie.

Data fits hypothesis so far.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    0/4 for rare to mythic upgrade.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Keegan wrote:

Those are all 2-6 finishes.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    Keegan wrote:
    Keegan wrote:

Those are all 2-6 finishes.

2 times I got 2-6 place, (3rd place both times) 0/2 rare to mythic upgrade.
  • fruithead
    Options
    0/4 upgrades
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    Very interesting. I'll reach out and collect some info and see if we can't get a better look.
  • Collecting data on this will be a waste of time. When a few people get an upgrade, one of them will for sure post it.

My guess is that it will be ultra rare so it will be almost impossible to get an accurate percentage out of such a data collection.

If we don't collect data and get about one post per month about it just happened to someone we will already know that it's a thing and that chances are super rare.

And why should we even care if chances are 1 to 10000 or 1 to 100000000? Would definitely not change anything for me. Collecting data on chances for opening different kind of boosters on the other hand does make sence because with that data you can decide if you wanna act in a different way (spending 600 instead of 200 crystals).
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's probably the same chance as getting a Mythic from a Basic Booster, which is roughly 0%. Zero percent is a percent! It's zero percent!
  • Yea it really should be in the range of 10-25%. Which it seems like it isn't.
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    I was thinking it's probably about 2 percent. Seems like I'm the only one who has gotten an upgrade (uncommon to rare), and you are right. More people are likely to post they got the upgrade than not, but if we can get enough people to post they aren't, perhaps the developers will make the chances higher. Which is one reason I keep track of booster percentages. The devs are less likely to change things people complain about if there isn't a decent amount of data to back up their complaints. Worst case scenario, nothing changes, but best case scenario, they possible change it from 1:50 to 1:20, which makes it worth trying in my opinion
  • While 2% might make sense as a whole, as a player this means even if I make top 25 for half a year I only have a small chance of getting a mythic.

This seems really demoralizing.
  • raidan
    Options
    It would be nice if the higher you are to 1st, the higher your chance for an upgrade are.
  • raidan wrote:
    It would be nice if the higher you are to 1st, the higher your chance for an upgrade are.

I think it's more likely the other way around.

You will have like a 1 % chance to upgrade from common to rare and like 0.1 % from rare to mythic.

Why should devs give people any reason to think they have a high chance to get a rare with only one fight? They want us to play more, not less. And they are making their money by people having probs getting the higher tier cards so they won't just throw them after us.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At first I had kind of hoped (expected) that one person from each prize tier would get upgraded. So for 2-6, one would get mythic, the other 3 would get the expected rare. I'm 0/3 so far. Of course when I finished first I got Starfield of Nyx icon_rolleyes.gif
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Keep in mind:
    All of us have played through - at most - 8 PvPs. Most people have probably played fewer than that (especially since the 1st blue PvP was so screwed up). So if the chance is even as high as 1 in 20, we just don't have that many samples yet to really get a feel for it.

I believe I've gotten 1/7 upgrades so far - in that I've played 7 PvPs and one of them have been upgraded. But that might not be right because the "claim" button doesn't show you what your reward should have been, and you just have to remember what it was and then compare it to what you got. I might have placed into a rare and not been upgraded from uncommon, for example. And frankly whenever I get a dupe I don't pay much attention anyway.

The chance is low - that's for sure. But it does happen, and that's what's important. I agree it would be difficult to track, unless you got a dedicated group of people who simply reported every single time for a few weeks.
  • raidan
    Options
    0/3 (2 rank 3), (1 rank 2) upgrades from rare to mythic.
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Options
    soultwist wrote:
    At first I had kind of hoped (expected) that one person from each prize tier would get upgraded. So for 2-6, one would get mythic, the other 3 would get the expected rare. I'm 0/3 so far. Of course when I finished first I got Starfield of Nyx icon_rolleyes.gif

I also got Starfield of Nyx for finishing 1st! (I already had one too).