No Holds Barred PvP event

Comments

• I haven't had much trouble losing points this tournament.

Then again, I wouldn't want to fight against lvl 105 IM40, lvl 103 Punisher, and lvl 65 OBW either.
  • I had over 100 last night and i woke up this morning to see 5 people had beaten me and i lost 28 pts total. I made it all up with 1 fight. At least it should be easier to earn points in this tourney. I dunno about making top spots though since I am not jobless.
  • Hey so I'm switching back and forth between 101 Pun, 90 Spidey and 85 Wolvie and 65 OBW, 62 Patch, 55 Loki. If one of you guys sees me in matchmaking, could you let me know which group you're seeing.
  • pulis wrote:
    I had over 100 last night and i woke up this morning to see 5 people had beaten me and i lost 28 pts total. I made it all up with 1 fight. At least it should be easier to earn points in this tourney. I dunno about making top spots though since I am not jobless.
  • I was trying to hold off joining this event until tomorrow, but I was getting so bored with starting an OSCORP mission, not getting enough AP to avoid a countdown tile, retreating, and restarting, that I just couldn't help myself.

I'm in Il Palazzo's bracket, which he's currently topping with 248. May try to run to 300 today for the token, then let myself sink until tomorrow night, by which point it would be reasonable to start shielding. LRs for tanking tomorrow would probably help, too.

I'm a pretty small fish in this one, though. Running my best team:

72+ Patch
    85 OBW
    58+ Loki

which is comparatively not that good, I'm sure!
  • Competition is brutal at the 5-600 level. Same as the last few weeks, time for one mission to win 15-25 points only to be knocked back with three losses for 60 or more. Something has to give here, otherwise you just play as fast as possible and shield for eight hours. Sucks, no fun. The only answer is to join with a few hours till the end and rush to the top. Really sucks. Please make this game fun again.
  • Competition is brutal at the 5-600 level. Same as the last few weeks, time for one mission to win 15-25 points only to be knocked back with three losses for 60 or more. Something has to give here, otherwise you just play as fast as possible and shield for eight hours. Sucks, no fun. The only answer is to join with a few hours till the end and rush to the top. Really sucks. Please make this game fun again.

Either rack up a big score early and shield out the rest, or join late and make a rush. Either way, not playing for most of the tournament is the way to go.

Actually, in the Thor tournament, it seemed like they had reduced the amount you would lose for getting attacked.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    5/3/5 85 patch + 5/3/5 85 OBW + 5 blue Spidey = Maniacal Laughter

too bad they're going to fix OBW (her black isn't working as intended according to IceIX) and Nerf Spidey

Was this posted somewhere?
  • Kelbris wrote:
    5/3/5 85 patch + 5/3/5 85 OBW + 5 blue Spidey = Maniacal Laughter

too bad they're going to fix OBW (her black isn't working as intended according to IceIX) and Nerf Spidey

Was this posted somewhere?

I've not seen any posts about changing OBW. That would be...bad.
  • Top 10 in my bracket again dominated by players with low to mid level 2* and 1* rosters, and their points do not seem to move at all even when un-shielded. My theory is that most players in their MMR are casual players that log in maybe once a day or inactive accounts of people who tried the game for a while, did not like it and stopped playing. Thus they can attack freely without fear of retaliation.

On the other hand, I'm running level 100+ Patch, Spidey and Hulk, and I swear all the opponents in my match making also have level 100+ Patch, Spidey and some random 3rd cover. It sure is fun attacking the same players and getting retaliated over and over again icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Top 10 in my bracket again dominated by players with low to mid level 2* and 1* rosters, and their points do not seem to move at all even when un-shielded. My theory is that most players in their MMR are casual players that log in maybe once a day or inactive accounts of people who tried the game for a while, did not like it and stopped playing. Thus they can attack freely without fear of retaliation.

On the other hand, I'm running level 100+ Patch, Spidey and Hulk, and I swear all the opponents in my match making also have level 100+ Patch, Spidey and some random 3rd cover. It sure is fun attacking the same players and getting retaliated over and over again icon_rolleyes.gif

In fairness, I've noticed that those low level players usually get shuffled out towards the end of the tournament. They get to the top early because all the power players are playing strategically, while the newer players are just grinding ISO and hitting a few progression awards. But they hit a wall as their opponents get stronger, while strong players break out boosts, shields and time their play to make a proper run.
  • Unless your play time is superb or your skill/roster is incredibly strong, trying to start later is not going to work very well. The way these tournaments now work is that if you let your bracket leader just sit on a runaway lead, he can simply shield for 24 hours and be sure of finishing at least top 5, and oftens top 1 if that lead is big enough. The point is that you're supposed to be participate actively in the first two days of the tournament too so that the bracket leader can't just run away with a very high score.

Not to mention if you start late you're actually pretty likely to also run into powerful players thinking exactly the same thing. It doesn't pay to be lazy in this game. It's one thing if you simply don't have the time, but if you have the time but choose to be lazy, don't come back crying when the guy who keeps on grind away eventually shields at 700 and you've no possible way of catching up to that.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Unless your play time is superb or your skill/roster is incredibly strong, trying to start later is not going to work very well. The way these tournaments now work is that if you let your bracket leader just sit on a runaway lead, he can simply shield for 24 hours and be sure of finishing at least top 5, and oftens top 1 if that lead is big enough. The point is that you're supposed to be participate actively in the first two days of the tournament too so that the bracket leader can't just run away with a very high score.

Not to mention if you start late you're actually pretty likely to also run into powerful players thinking exactly the same thing. It doesn't pay to be lazy in this game. It's one thing if you simply don't have the time, but if you have the time but choose to be lazy, don't come back crying when the guy who keeps on grind away eventually shields at 700 and you've no possible way of catching up to that.
    Yeah all true, looks like another 3am grind session tonight followed by a 24 hour shield what fun
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm lucky that I picked up 5 green wolvies already and have a 4/5/1 hood: I can just take it easy and go for top 45 in this tournament.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel as though this tournament has been good for balancing my MMR.

I had been punching above my weight for a number of recent tournaments, paired with specifically tanking others to try and game my rating. This has been the first time in a while that I've had a loss and thought "that's OK". I'm still getting hit by people with teams just a little bit better than me, and they're worth big retaliation points if I'm successful. I'm also encountering teams equal to, or slightly weaker, than mine; and I managed to climb up to #3 in my bracket during my commute earlier today without too much effort.

If I can keep this up, I may even make a push late tomorrow for a high reward.
  • More like "No Holds BORED," am I right?
  • When Spidey gets nerfed...gonna be somethin' epic...
  • So i gave up on the No Holds Barred tourny cause everytime i finished a match i found someone or sometwo or even somethree people had attacked me and just destrpyed my points. havent touched it today but yet my points keep rising cause my a.i. team is defeating everyone. At this rate i might even get some rewards outta not playing icon_e_smile.gif
  • So i gave up on the No Holds Barred tourny cause everytime i finished a match i found someone or sometwo or even somethree people had attacked me and just destrpyed my points. havent touched it today but yet my points keep rising cause my a.i. team is defeating everyone. At this rate i might even get some rewards outta not playing icon_e_smile.gif
    You do still get the progression award notifications popping up when you're in the middle of doing something else. It's kind of weird, but I don't think anyone's complaining.