2* Mags

eddidit
eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
edited February 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
I was curious if this is happening to anyone else or noticed that when using Mags Red or Blue powers they're always on the edge? I thought it was confirmation bias at first, so I've kept him in my party and 9/10 they will end up on the edge, almost to the point I can predict the exact placement. The only times they aren't on the edge is when there is no red or blue on the edges. Wondering if this is a bug. It's not a big deal with the red but the blue is severely limited because of the placement.

Comments

• eddidit
    eddidit Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Well that's just cruel of the RNG. Figure it would have a better algorithm of random placement… as odd as that sounds. Just happens too often for my taste.
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    happens all the time
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well if you think about it, there are 8+7+7+6 = 28 tiles (43%) on the edge of the board, and another 6+5+5+4 = 20 one away from the edge, for a total of 48 (75%) within 1 tile of the edge.

Of those 48 tiles, a full 1/3 (25% of the whole board) are within 1 tile of a corner. So in short your odds are (assuming you haven't strategically saturated the board with specials/wrong colour tiles)

25% within 1 tile of a corner
    50% within 1 tile of the edge but not near a corner
    25% more than 1 tile away from any edge

So in short, it's both. It is indeed random, but it's also (almost) always going to end up on the edge.

I suspect this is why they eventually had to specifically make an exception for Punisher's green random 3x3 block.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jaedenkaal wrote:
    Well if you think about it, there are 8+7+7+6 = 28 tiles (43%) on the edge of the board, and another 6+5+5+4 = 20 one away from the edge, for a total of 48 (75%) within 1 tile of the edge.

Of those 48 tiles, a full 1/3 (25% of the whole board) are within 1 tile of a corner. So in short your odds are (assuming you haven't strategically saturated the board with specials/wrong colour tiles)

25% within 1 tile of a corner
    50% within 1 tile of the edge but not near a corner
    25% more than 1 tile away from any edge

So in short, it's both. It is indeed random, but it's also (almost) always going to end up on the edge.

I suspect this is why they eventually had to specifically make an exception for Punisher's green random 3x3 block.
    You're correct, but if you're ever bored, keep track of how many times SW's tile gets placed in a corner. I have, and it's way more than 1 out of 16.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    You can manipulate the position of blue tiles on the board with 2* Magneto's purple, which is a pretty important factor in how the character plays when you're only using 3 or 4 blue covers.