Stop supports from attacking themselves

The next update really needs to address the way supports are played...the current system is broken. Sword of the Animist is the support that comes to mind, though there are a few others that I've played that I just can't think of now. Sword of the Animist cost 7 to cast and gives +2/+2 to your first creature which isn't bad, considering that Brawler's Plate cost 8 and gives +2/+2 and berserker which you don't always want. The problem is that Animist also destroys a 3x3 block every time your first creature attacks and inevitably the very first attack will destroy Animist reducing it's counter from 2 to 1.

If you're lucky you can keep Animist on the board for a few more turns but most of the time following the 3X3 block destruction you'll end up with a cascade that destroys it meaning you just paid 7 to cast a support that didn't make it until the end of your turn. Or it'll stay on the board and very quickly eat up your other supports by targeting them each turn. This is terrible if you play Jace or Gideon and rely on supports.

I would suggest a two sided approach. First, fix the code so your own destruction supports or spells don't target your own supports directly. If I lose a support to a "random" cascade that's one thing but to have a destruction support target itself immediately after playing it gets frustrating. Secondly, let the player choose the color gem that they want to put the support on instead of "randomly" assigning it to a gem that just-so-happens to give your opponent the ability to destroy it on the next turn even when better gems were available in other places on the board. If the support is played on blue, highlight the blue gems and let the player choose which one to play it on.

Just a thought.

Comments

• When you play a heavy support deck, why even add it then? We have lots of supports to choose from.

If you don't want berserk (plate), support destruction (sword) and have a lot of times 3 creatures out, then throwing knife might be what you are looking for. Cheap +2/+2 that hurts your opponent when it's destroyed.

Why should they change it, if we already have plenty of alternatives? There might be someone who wants it as it is as a counter against heavy support decks.
  • The whole point of sword of the animist is that it can destroy itself.
  • I thought about throwing knife but you lose +2 defense which, when you're playing weak creatures, is a negative. Though you are right the 2 damage upon destruction is a bonus. I may try switching those out. But the benefit of Animis is the random chance of destroying an opponents supports which, playing blue or white, are rare commodities.

I still stand by my assertion that we should be allowed to choose where the supports are played rather than letting them be placed automatically.
  • I have a deep hatred for Throwing Knife now because, in a QB last night against a L50 Jace, it provided the killing blow against me as I was about to pull off a drawn out comeback only to have it pop in an unintended cascade.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Sword of the Animist is definitely a double edged sword. Sometimes it can kill your own supports and set up the enemy for match 5 during his next turn. Other times it can fill up 1-3 cards from a crazy lucky cascade that will be ready on your next turn. But because it only costs 7 and adds +2/+2, more often than not it provides a greater benefit than a hinderence.

I have it in 4 out of 5 of my decks and I've grown to love it.
  • raidan wrote:
    Sword of the Animist is definitely a double edged sword. Sometimes it can kill your own supports and set up the enemy for match 5 during his next turn. Other times it can fill up 1-3 cards from a crazy lucky cascade that will be ready on your next turn. But because it only costs 7 and adds +2/+2, more often than not it provides a greater benefit than a hinderence.

I have it in 4 out of 5 of my decks and I've grown to love it.

Same.