How do we feel about the nerf of buffed 3*s

Comments

• _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I think people are overreacting. But I guess I always think that.

Previously a level 166 Cyclops was being buffed to level 240. So 240 was the max. But now, you can take Cyclops to level 266, which means when buffed, he'll be over level 340 (not sure if buffs are % based).

So comparing at level 240, yes, they're weaker. But comparing at their highest attainable levels, it won't even be close.

First, it is not consolation to us that you say that our characters will be strong once we gather a 100 covers of them. Second, as far as I know there are no fully championed 3*s yet but available reports of the highest ones around suggest that they are still nowhere near as powerful as they were pre-nerf. In other words, a level 300 or so 3* is not as strong as a level 240 one used to be. It may well be that they will only become as strong at level 340 (fully championed + buffed) meaning that all that championing did for them was making them a 100 covers weaker. So yeah, no overreaction.
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Wasn't the 3* nerd initially acknowledged as a bug, then never mentioned again?

Yes it was & acknowledged by a Dev. Used to be stickied in the Bug forum. Its totally buried now, but can view it here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37685

I'm pretty sure they hope we forget & shut up about it. It was supposed to be fixed on this latest patch, but theres been silence on it for a month.

Read what I posted above. The admitted bug was one already resolved regarding the amount of levels given by a buff (e.g. 120 instead of 124 for a featured 3*). It was never this issue.

Yeah, I'm not following. The link I linked isn't about levels being off, its about the same boosted characters doing drastically different damage the day of the champions patch. Nothing about levels. Its about power.

I'm with Roboduck, the name of the post from the link is "Boosted Characters do less damage now after Champion Patch"
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    My bad, I didn't clarify: The thread was about the damage values indeed, however, David's post in that thread about the devs' response was regarding the amount of levels. I initially believed it was about the damage values too but eventually proved to be another thing. After that I though that David was trying to obfuscate or misidrect the actual issue but I've come to believe it was an honest misunderstanding of his allowed to happen by a combination of the stubborn silence from the devs plus imprecise gaming lingo.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it makes the 3-4 transition harder. voted for the last, lack of comm. option. I find it odd that they upped the boosted ability damage of the 4s so dramatically (used to be much less) and reduced the 3s so much. glad I'm playing mostly 4s, but for 3* players this really sucks when you are forced into taking on 4* rosters to make 1K, which should be the primary transition mechanism.
  • It does feel like championing has been a bit of a waste, even if the legendary token is nice. If levelling isn't really doing much, then a lot of ISO has been pumped into characters (17 in my case) without any significant power increase. Just a way of lengthening playing time by keeping people in 3* land that bit longer.

Having said that, I don't think it's a massive issue, just disappointing. I still intend to champion most of my 3*s eventually
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do we know yet what a boosted 3* looks like when champ-maxed? I'm wondering if at some point the damage dealt increases sharply, like what we're seeing with boosted 4*s.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did notice pretty quickly that something felt off. I think it was either a Kamala Khan PvP or a time when she was boosted. I was doing about 4,800 damage with her green and I thought that was way too low, I seemed to remember it doing nearly 6k when boosted.

Then I knew for certain something was wrong when Dr Doom was boosted. I remember Diabolical Plot doing about 1700 damage per tile but he was doing around 1400 now.

So yeah, I'm not overly keen on this power drop. It kinda diminishes the point of championing if getting them to level 266 just puts them back to where they were power-wise before championing existed.

It would have been nice to have some info on this, too. Things have been pretty mum on the subject.
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    I saw a screenshot of a fully champed level 266 Scarlet Witch during her event, she had something like 50-60k health and was boosted to 465 or something to that effect and did crazy damage. I believe they changed it to keep them from being completely out of control when buffed.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    No Happy Option? I'm glad my 4's can roll 3's again.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim - thanks for adding this poll.

Naturally, I voted:
    I'm very unhappy, but mostly about the lack of communication about it

I think the "intent" behind the change from the devs was to give 3*->4* transitioners more incentive to start using their 4* characters. Of course we don't know becuase they won't tell us. And sadly, the real impact is that the change to boosted ability damage makes it HARDER for 3*->4* transitioners to actually transition since it makes it much harder for us to hit the higher progression rewards in PVP.

I think if the dev's reworked the way covers work on 4* (eg making 4* more powerful with less covers instead of making them weak until cover #5 in an active), then we would be encouraged to use our under-covered 4* more often. But seeing as that's not the case, the only way a 3*->4* transitioner can compete is by using their boosted 3* characters during a given week. Making those characters 25% weaker against increasingly more powerful 4* teams only sets us back further.

Sure the dev's always want to slow down the game while we players want to speed it up, but I think they crossed a line with the R91 change that, without communication, really doesn't sit well.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    vaportrail wrote:
    I saw a screenshot of a fully champed level 266 Scarlet Witch during her event, she had something like 50-60k health and was boosted to 465 or something to that effect and did crazy damage. I believe they changed it to keep them from being completely out of control when buffed.

Sure - but they could have easily accomplished this by slowing the growth curve for 3* abilities above level 290, rather than drastically reducing the curve from level 167-290.
  • It's also frustrating because let's face it, the majority of us aren't getting 100 of the 3* cover any time soon
  • Isn't the answer the same that has been so painfully obvious since day one of MPQ?

Why would someone bother to upgrade a character?

So now we're actually dealing with artificially nerfed heroes across the board?

Remember that time some thought championing was actually a cool new feature? Yeah, exactly.

DBC
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    So comparing at level 240, yes, they're weaker. But comparing at their highest attainable levels, it won't even be close.

Exactly this. If they kept the original power levels, I believe 3*s would be too strong, or show less significant power changes.

What it also means is that elder 3* rosters will be as strong as 4* rosters making the transition easier to get to 4*s.

Here is what the system will look like over time:
    Weakest to Strongest (and means they are fairly equal)

Elder 2* Champions and Newer 3* Champions
    Elder 3* Champions and Newer 4* Champions
    Elder 4* Champions and Newer 5* Champions
    Elder 5* Champions

We now have more specific roster types that can equate to each other, which should in theory help the transition by far better than before.

Except that this hurts people trying to make the 4* transition like myself way more. Now I have a real tough time competing in PvP due to the fact 3* are weaker and it will take a long time to get 100 covers for a 3*. In PvE it is also now a lot harder because the enemy goons did not get a downward buff and they represent at least half or more of PvE. So it is a huge issue because now the ability to move into 4* land is much harder for those not yet there since our rosters have effectively been nerfed and 4* reliant rosters were not. In addition, due to being able to compete at higher levels already, 4* roster will be able to max 3* characters out faster by the nature that they will probably receive 3* covers faster. I honestly think I will probably just consider skipping the 4* transition and slowly accumulate 5* covers and hoard iso for them at this point, why not?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Warbringa wrote:
    In PvE it is also now a lot harder because the enemy goons did not get a downward buff

Didn't they tho? I don't know about y'all, but I've noticed that Ares, Moonboobs and Pals® do significantly less damage with their spammy skills than what I'm used to. Moony hit me with a Photon Blast this morning and it only did a few thousand damage. Ares fired off Onslaught with 7-8 green and it too only did a few thousand. I'm used to those skills firing off and taking half of my characters health away.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending the across the board 3* nerf: It SUCKS. I guess they did it because they thought there would be lvl 266 LThors running rampant two days after championing, maybe? I play a LOT and my highest level 3* is 180. That's 14 extra covers on her (Mystique in case you're curious) since championing went live, so its going to take close to a year I'd guess to get any of them close to max champ level for anyone but mega-whales that are buying up 40 packs every day. And those mega-whales? Yea, they're not using 3*s no matter what level they are when they can run high level champed 4 & 5*s instead. The huge nerf to the entire 3* tier makes little sense to me...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I rarely use 3*s, certainly not in pvps (other than the pvp-specific one), so it doesn't matter much to me. I do love using oml/daken/if in pve though, that team rocks!!
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Warbringa wrote:
    In PvE it is also now a lot harder because the enemy goons did not get a downward buff

Didn't they tho? I don't know about y'all, but I've noticed that Ares, Moonboobs and Pals® do significantly less damage with their spammy skills than what I'm used to. Moony hit me with a Photon Blast this morning and it only did a few thousand damage. Ares fired off Onslaught with 7-8 green and it too only did a few thousand. I'm used to those skills firing off and taking half of my characters health away.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not defending the across the board 3* nerf: It SUCKS. I guess they did it because they thought there would be lvl 266 LThors running rampant two days after championing, maybe? I play a LOT and my highest level 3* is 180. That's 14 extra covers on her (Mystique in case you're curious) since championing went live, so its going to take close to a year I'd guess to get any of them close to max champ level for anyone but mega-whales that are buying up 40 packs every day. And those mega-whales? Yea, they're not using 3*s no matter what level they are when they can run high level champed 4 & 5*s instead. The huge nerf to the entire 3* tier makes little sense to me...
    Goons - non-hero characters. 2* characters were nerfed too.
    All 4* were buffed. all 3* and 2* were nerfed.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Lukoil wrote:
    Goons - non-hero characters. 2* characters were nerfed too.
    All 4* were buffed. all 3* and 2* were nerfed.

Ah, so that's what I'm seeing. In that case, as much as I like playing with most of the 3*s, I don't touch them in PvP except for the obvious exception of the featured character, and it's made PvE considerably less resource intensive. I don't burn thru nearly as many health packs now, and I rarely have to use boosts. I think I want to change my vote to "Not a fan, but I'll get over it"
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Let's face it, even at their best, their communication was still pretty bad. They have actively ignored important questions on this forum for two years. Sadly, this will be ignored too. They decimate the competitiveness of their largest tier of characters and just wash their hands of it while transitioners are left to scrape and claw for their slim slim chance to find their way out of their hell.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    avs962 wrote:
    Let's face it, even at their best, their communication was still pretty bad. They have actively ignored important questions on this forum for two years. Sadly, this will be ignored too. They decimate the competitiveness of their largest tier of characters and just wash their hands of it while transitioners are left to scrape and claw for their slim slim chance to find their way out of their hell.

Actually this is really, really bad even for previous standards. The worst case I remember before was an issue going unacknowledged for a week or so. This has been going for month and a half. And most times that they have taken ages to say/do something about an issue at least we have had a token acknowledgement at some point ("we're looking into it", "cannot give a definite answer yet, but..." etc). This time, it is almost as though as they were pretending that an issue doesn't exist.
  • Just feel like it's worth mentioning that as a result of these nerfs/adjusted scaling

The Mega Crazy Damaging Level 350 Juggernauts have received a huge nerf in the process. As did other overscaled PVE enemies.

So it's not without some benefits.