Is Beast worth leveling up?

Bossblack
Bossblack Posts: 80 Match Maker
edited February 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Beast is one of the few 3 stars that I have not yet maxed. As his PVP is coming up next and I am wondering if he is worth leveling up? He is currently at level 141 and I need about 67.5K ISO to max him and champion him. I will get a LT but I am wondering if he is really worth the ISO? Seeing I have about 95K ISO only, should I save them for the 5 stars? How much help would it be on the next PVP if I champion him compare to current level of 141?

Thank you for your advice.

Comments

• What does your 4* roster look like? I would find it hard to believe that it makes more sense to spend that ISO on Beast than some much better 4* you have rostered.
  • Bossblack
    I have 3x 4 Stars maxed and championed. (XFDP, JG, HB)
    RHULK at level 210 and Carnage 190, most of the 4 stars except the new ones are fully covered but all around level 14x.
    SS at 390 and OML at 330.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Beast is not bad at all. He is a faster version of Groot with a little less punch. When he is buffed he is definatly strong in PVE. The difference between 166 and 140 is not that much except health. In PVP you might use him early when buffed but at the end you will use more 4* or 5*. Overall if you level him it won't be a waste of ISO, but if you don't level him it won't hurt you too much either
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Hah, I am pretty much exactly in your shoes except me 4* look different.
    Absolutely level RULK instead of Beast. Not even a question.

Here is how I see it. Would it be nice to have a champed featured PVP character? Sure, it would. However outside of his pvp and maybe some random PvE when are you going to use him? ALmost never.

When are you going to use a maxed Rulk? Probably all the time. There is your answer.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    You have a 390 SS and 330 OML?? I'm very jelly ; ; And yeah, with your roster you don't need to max out beast.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    On the other hand, Beast is one of my secret favorite toons to play. He's fast (like your mom), cheap (like your sister), and plays well with others. icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Beast, I have him champed, but given what they've done to 4*s, it doesn't make any sense to put ISO into 3*s anymore.
  • simonsez wrote:
    I like Beast, I have him champed, but given what they've done to 4*s, it doesn't make any sense to put ISO into 3*s anymore.
    Exactly this. Especially with Rulk needing ISO.

I have BP and KK each at 130 - both great characters.....just doesn't make sense to spend the ISO on them when I still have 3 top tier 4*s to max, and an OML that can still take 40k ISO.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like most 3*s, beast is worth leveling to at least 120 just for his PvP event. And everything above that will make climbing in his pvp easier, but isn't necessary.

In general, he is a faster version of r&g with cheap aoe damage in place of true healing. His blue in particular is quite good. He's probably a bit underrated by the community now because his first version was so bad. But even in the most favorable light he is still just an average 3* with a mastered burst healing yellow power.

I don't think it would be actively detrimental for you to spend iso on beast. Given the strength of your 4* bench (you have a jeanbuster, and will have imhb/rulk soon) you aren't desperate for 4* growth. But overall there are better places to spend it (like rulk!).
  • Boosted Rulk (paired with a max IMHB) was apparently pretty scary this past event as I was able to climb to over 1200 before getting hit - and my Doc Ock is like level 100 or so.
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I championed my Beast because he's the only one that feeds into 4* Jean Grey. Need that blue cover (my JG is 4/0/1) and it's the first reachable at beast level 183.

As good as any reason to champion him if you have the ISO.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm probably going to max my Beast because I have two covers in the queue now -- one of which is expiring in 2 days -- with one more coming up from DDQ, and he'll eventually cough up Jeans Grey. I've built up a foundation of 4*s, but haven't leveled them since I still only use my 3*s for my real lineups.
  • Bossblack
    I'm probably going to max my Beast because I have two covers in the queue now -- one of which is expiring in 2 days -- with one more coming up from DDQ, and he'll eventually cough up Jeans Grey. I've built up a foundation of 4*s, but haven't leveled them since I still only use my 3*s for my real lineups.

Good point on the JG cover... I have 3 beast covers in the queue... ah decisions decisions...

Thanks all for the good advice.. all have a valid point!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm champing him because I only have 8 more left! So it's a nice diversion for the next month or so. Then I'll go back to the endless work of levelling up all my 4*s...
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    For me, the benefits of championing 3*s is worth it for all of them. I play casually and don't get many CPs and rarely get LTs. Champing 3*s is my #1 way of getting those.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    No

ISO is bottleneck resource in the game, don't waste it. Level your 3s to 120 and take enough good ones to 166 just so you can build your 4 stars. And then only level the top five 4 start (Cyke, JG, Rulk, Ice, HB). Save ISO for 5 stars.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the important question is: Do you enjoy playing with Beast?
    I like playing diverse teams, particularly in PvE, so I have all three-stars champed now. I may move away from them now that my four-star roster is starting to stabilize.
    IMO it's never a waste to put ISO into a character you can see yourself using a lot. The wider your roster, the more you can play and the more ISO you can earn.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Lidolas wrote:
    For me, the benefits of championing 3*s is worth it for all of them. I play casually and don't get many CPs and rarely get LTs. Champing 3*s is my #1 way of getting those.
    yep, me too. I could probably get to 1000 in a PvP and earn the 4*'s with my roster, but i frankly don't have the time. It takes such a crazy amount of ISO to move the 4's i have good covers for (Rulk and 4clops) to a usable level that it makes it more fun to shoot for the achievable goals of championing the few remaining 3*s that i have cover-maxed. Plus, i still need every 4* i can get my hands on except for Rulk Purple and IW yellow.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    chamber44 wrote:
    it makes it more fun to shoot for....
    just wanted to interject - if everyone found what was fun for them and stuck to that (and avoid the rat race the game leads you into), the forums would be much more pleasant. the game does make it hard sometimes but there is so much fun to be had. glad you're finding enjoyment.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    it makes it more fun to shoot for....
    just wanted to interject - if everyone found what was fun for them and stuck to that (and avoid the rat race the game leads you into), the forums would be much more pleasant. the game does make it hard sometimes but there is so much fun to be had. glad you're finding enjoyment.

Was going to chime in with the same message. Do what is fun for you. I don't really need to champ any more 3* characters but I'll probably end up doing them all because it is way less depressing than trying to save up the ISO for 4* characters I don't even have cover maxed. Don't even get me started on 5*s. After hearing about what the 5* meta is like, I'll gladly stick with playing with 3*s in PVE and dabbling in PVP with the 2 4*s I spent $$$ on to get covers.