a "what just happened" side board

Options
loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
Not sure where you'd fit it, but I'd love to know how some of the effects happen on the enemy's turn. In particular sometimes I'll just have fewer cards or something and it's probably a spell or special power but unless I'm following really closely AND have a good command of all the cards, it's easy to miss.

Comments

• SorinMarkov
    Options
    +1 To this. Great idea.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sometimes it's the planeswalker's ability that causes it. I'd like to see a display "card" for those abilities like we do with regular cards. It would call attention to whatever just changed.
  • mlktws
    mlktws Posts: 26
    Options
    That has been suggested, but it's such a good idea, I'm glad the notion has more voice.
    I'm not sure if a location for such a thing has been suggested, but my two cents: decrease the size of the in-hand card thumbnails (which I think should be done, regardless; it's irksome, having to scroll), and add an icon allowing you to view a list of previous actions.
    I'll bet your losing of cards is due to Lillian's Corrupt ability.
    As an aside:
    In paper Magic parlance, what you're suggesting is essentially the graveyard, though that doesn't cover recently-used abilities, what with there being no paper to place in the pile.
    Just in case you didn't know.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mlktws wrote:
    That has been suggested, but it's such a good idea, I'm glad the notion has more voice.
    I'm not sure if a location for such a thing has been suggested, but my two cents: decrease the size of the in-hand card thumbnails (which I think should be done, regardless; it's irksome, having to scroll), and add an icon allowing you to view a list of previous actions.
    I'll bet your losing of cards is due to Lillian's Corrupt ability.
    As an aside:
    In paper Magic parlance, what you're suggesting is essentially the graveyard, though that doesn't cover recently-used abilities, what with there being no paper to place in the pile.
    Just in case you didn't know.
    A log showing cards like in hearthstone would be a better solution. Intuitive, simple and keep track of "what was used on what" like "exquisite firecrat -> 6 colossus(creature) with skull icon meaning damage was fatal"
  • mlktws
    mlktws Posts: 26
    Options
    I haven't played Hearthstone in a while, so I'll have to take your word, but I don't recall whatever they call their activity log as being so detailed. Not saying it's not; I just don't recall it being so.

That could be nice , I suppose, in both Hearthstone and this, but I don't see how it would be more beneficial to know what cards/abilities affected what.

I'm not saying that to contradict you, though my opinion on the need for target information is contrary to what yours seems to be. That is to say, I don't think I'm correct in my thought that there's no need to know what targeted what, because it may be that my cards and playstyle aren't affected by knowing targets, specific outcomes, or anything being knowing which cards have been used. I just earnestly want to know what good it would do.

Edit:
    Literally the moment after submitting this reply, I think I thought of why you may think knowing targets would be beneficial, essentially:

It is good to know with absolute certainty and minimal effort what removed a card or otherwise affected the playing field. E.G., you lost the cards that were previously in your hand, due to Lilliana's Corrupt ability.
    I discounted that as a reason for needing to know targets and other details, because it seemed to me that it should be easy to figure out that you lost the cards due to Corrupt just by knowing what has been cast/activated, without needing for it to be spelled out.

In that regard, I understand how it would be helpful, but it isn't REALLY necessary; it just saves time and thought. Unless there are other reasons or scenarios that I'm overlooking? Again, not meaning to argue or anything; I truly just want to know if I'm missing something.