Character Rankings February 2016 Edition: Voting Closed

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    cardoor wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

I didn't rank 4s and 5s, but here's my list:

Eschewing the wall of text. Dude. Beast's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the 4 you gave him. He certainly rates above Hulk. Ragnarok's better than a 1. He's a 5. Psylocke and Punisher have been victims of power creep, but they're 5's as well.

I rated Beast a 7. His blue goes off in one turn, and makes his green do Hulk-like damage to the enemy team for one less AP spent. His AoE's a green, which means it's most likely to go off given the number of green generators. Additionally, his green does double damage if **ANY** friendly blue tiles are in play, including free timer tiles from Scarlet Witch, or Daredevil's recurring blue, Cap's blue, etc...

Ragnarok's best treated as a utility character. And while he's not the 2AP spam machine he was, he's not in any way a 1. He has 10K HPs, a self heal which makes Kamala heal the team (for free), and generates green charged tiles. That'd suck if it weren't for the near dozens of green-generating abilities in 3* land. Add to the fact he has 10K HP, and he's much more likely to survive a hit from XFW or Hulkbuster than say, Patch, Hood, Daken, or Loki. Ragnarok is NOT a 1.

Sentry, for that matter, is not a 2. Nor is Spider-Man a 1. Guy. You need more time with the game. They're not great. They're not terrible.

I agree with you about Beast and Rags. I don't think I rated anyone under 5, but if I did (it has been a few days) it would have been Sentry or Bagman. I only handed out 3 or 4 10's across all the levels too, so most of my ratings are in the 6-9 range. I don't regret that, because even though there are some standout characters, overall they are fairly balanced.

Edit: just want to add that Vision and Falcon should be higher using PVE criteria. If it is just PVP, then yeah AI doesn't use them well, but when you are in control they are both very powerful.

To me, if you didn't rate anyone below 5, then you're not doing it right.

The 1-10 rating scale only measures the characters against each other. IMO, Rags and Sentry absolutely belong in the 1-2 range. Who is worse? No one. That's why they are 1s or 2s. I read Ronin's post and it started off ok, I agree about Beast, but went totally off the rails after that. If there are no characters lower than 5, then why don't we just rank them on a scale of 5-10? We could do 1-5, but then we'd have to argue again about who's not a 1.
  • udonomefoo wrote:

The 1-10 rating scale only measures the characters against each other. IMO, Rags and Sentry absolutely belong in the 1-2 range. Who is worse? No one. That's why they are 1s or 2s. I read Ronin's post and it started off ok, I agree about Beast, but went totally off the rails after that. If there are no characters lower than 5, then why don't we just rank them on a scale of 5-10? We could do 1-5, but then we'd have to argue again about who's not a 1.
    Exactly this. If you don't have at least one 1 and at least one 10 then you aren't using the scale properly.

If you gave Beast a 5, and you have no one lower than 5....he is a 1.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    udonomefoo wrote:

Exactly this. If you don't have at least one 1 and at least one 10 then you aren't using the scale properly.

That's fair. I just think Ragnarok's better than "worst". He's no wrist-cutter like Sentry.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rags is a regular partner for my Iceman+Kingpin team. He fills out Red with a fast skill that generates Blue and does decent damage.

I've got a good 4* roster, so the 3* characters I use frequently is a short list:
    Black Widow with Prof X for the match-5 exploit (but boring, only when necessary).
    IM40 + Captain America for board control (my favorite new team)
    IM40 + She-Hulk for a drain strategy.
    IM40 for bluetile.pnggreentile.pngredtile.png generation.
    Iron Fist for blacktile.png generation (Frequently with Luke Cage)
    Scarlet Witch for purpletile.png generation.
    Ragnarok for bluetile.png generation.
    Beast / Vision / Daredevil when fast powers needed for Prof X / Carnage

In my opinion, those 3* characters have more utility than these new 4* characters:
    Totally Awesome Hulk, Ghost Rider, Miles Morales, X-23, Spider-Gwen, Nova, and Venom.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel bad now for doing this survey before the IM40 changes came out. I initially gave him a 3 I think, but now he's at least an 8 and probably even a 9. He's easily in the top 10 of all 3*s.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ding ding ding!

All of the 3's are useable. No one is really garbage. Even Sentry is a great scarecrow on defense because who cares if he hurts your own guys on defense where health packs aren't an issue. 5 should be average, as in equal number characters better or worse, or middle tier. Not every non-elite character can be middle tier or it's no longer the middle. Making a 5 your floor is kind of silly, but to each their own.

There should be 1's and 10's for every * level. There needs to be variability. This is why I liked the old system where characters were ranked 1-40 and I added that caveat before posting my rankings. Don't worry so much about the "number" rather than how they rank against eachother.

Re: IM40: I ranked him a 9 based on his description alone, though I flirted with a 10. After playing him, if I were to re-rank him, I think he deserves a 10 but a 9 is close enough.
    udonomefoo wrote:
    cardoor wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

Eschewing the wall of text. Dude. Beast's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the 4 you gave him. He certainly rates above Hulk. Ragnarok's better than a 1. He's a 5. Psylocke and Punisher have been victims of power creep, but they're 5's as well.

I rated Beast a 7. His blue goes off in one turn, and makes his green do Hulk-like damage to the enemy team for one less AP spent. His AoE's a green, which means it's most likely to go off given the number of green generators. Additionally, his green does double damage if **ANY** friendly blue tiles are in play, including free timer tiles from Scarlet Witch, or Daredevil's recurring blue, Cap's blue, etc...

Ragnarok's best treated as a utility character. And while he's not the 2AP spam machine he was, he's not in any way a 1. He has 10K HPs, a self heal which makes Kamala heal the team (for free), and generates green charged tiles. That'd suck if it weren't for the near dozens of green-generating abilities in 3* land. Add to the fact he has 10K HP, and he's much more likely to survive a hit from XFW or Hulkbuster than say, Patch, Hood, Daken, or Loki. Ragnarok is NOT a 1.

Sentry, for that matter, is not a 2. Nor is Spider-Man a 1. Guy. You need more time with the game. They're not great. They're not terrible.

I agree with you about Beast and Rags. I don't think I rated anyone under 5, but if I did (it has been a few days) it would have been Sentry or Bagman. I only handed out 3 or 4 10's across all the levels too, so most of my ratings are in the 6-9 range. I don't regret that, because even though there are some standout characters, overall they are fairly balanced.

Edit: just want to add that Vision and Falcon should be higher using PVE criteria. If it is just PVP, then yeah AI doesn't use them well, but when you are in control they are both very powerful.

• cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    udonomefoo wrote:

Making a 5 your floor is kind of silly, but to each their own.

1-4 were still available to me if I thought one of the super heroes deserved it. Here is an example of rating something else that might help you understand where I am coming from. If you had to choose between two people you thought were extremely attractive, one of the two would still win. It would not change your opinion that the other is still to your liking though (or should be rated a 1).
  • Daredevil217
    cardoor wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

1-4 were still available to me if I thought one of the super heroes deserved it. Here is an example of rating something else that might help you understand where I am coming from. If you had to choose between two people you thought were extremely attractive, one of the two would still win. It would not change your opinion that the other is still to your liking though (or should be rated a 1).

One of the two would win what?

Girl A: Rated a 10, Girl B: Rated an 8
    Girl A: Rated a 10, Girl B: Rated a 2

The ratings are different, but the ranking is still the same:

1. Girl A
    2. Girl B

Again, win what? A date? A night of fun? Either way, we're all picking girl A. Similarly, what does a character "win" by being ranked above another character? For me I determine who to invest in, level up, play more, face less, etc. based on these rankings. So let's look at my 3's again...

Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) 10
    Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) 10
    Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) 10
    Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) 10
    Iron Man (Model 40) 9
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 9
    Loki (Dark Reign) 9
    Magneto (Classic) 9
    The Hood (Classic) 9
    Blade (Daywalker) 8
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 8
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) 8
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 8
    Wolverine (Patch) 8
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 7
    Daken (Classic) 7
    She-Hulk (Modern) 7
    Thor (Modern) 7
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 6
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 6
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 6
    Storm (Mohawk) 6
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 6
    Bullseye (Classic) 5
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 5
    Human Torch (Classic) 5
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 5
    Beast (Classic) 4
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 4
    Punisher (Dark Reign) 4
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 4
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 4
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 3
    Colossus (Classic) 3
    Psylocke (Classic) 3
    Vision (Android Avenger) 3
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 2
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 2
    Spider-Man (Classic) 1
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 1

Now lets convert them to your scale:

Iron Man (Model 40) 10
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 10
    Loki (Dark Reign) 10
    Magneto (Classic) 10
    The Hood (Classic) 10
    Blade (Daywalker) 9
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 9
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) 9
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 9
    Wolverine (Patch) 9
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 9
    Daken (Classic) 9
    She-Hulk (Modern) 9
    Thor (Modern) 9
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 8
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 8
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 8
    Storm (Mohawk) 8
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 8
    Bullseye (Classic) 8
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 8
    Human Torch (Classic) 8
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 8
    Beast (Classic) 7
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 7
    Punisher (Dark Reign) 7
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 7
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 7
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 7
    Colossus (Classic) 7
    Psylocke (Classic) 7
    Vision (Android Avenger) 7
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 6
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 6
    Spider-Man (Classic) 5
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 5

In the second set, it's much harder to rank characters 1-40 (which is ultimately, exactly what will come of this) when they are all rated the same.
  • cardoor
    cardoor wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

1. Girl A
    2. Girl B

Why not just rank them honestly and call it a day? If girl B is an 8 just rank her at 8. Trying to game the rankings in order to give those you think are 10's more contrast actually makes the rankings less accurate. If someone thinks a character should be ranked under 5, great (as long as that is their real opinion).

What girl A won is the higher ranking. In your own example that ranking does not change based on the ratings. If 300 people fill out the survey and just answer honestly how each character ranks out of 10 then the results would be accurate based on those surveyed.
  • When's the cut off for posting the results of this? I've got characters I need to retire to make way for 4-star and 5-star characters icon_e_smile.gif
    --
    Moovine
    http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Moovine/
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    cardoor wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

1. Girl A
    2. Girl B

Again, win what? A date? A night of fun? Either way, we're all picking girl A. Similarly, what does a character "win" by being ranked above another character? For me I determine who to invest in, level up, play more, face less, etc. based on these rankings. So let's look at my 3's again...

In the second set, it's much harder to rank characters 1-40 (which is ultimately, exactly what will come of this) when they are all rated the same.

If the rankings were only based on your one set of scores, then it would be harder to rank characters 1-40. Since it is based on 850+ responses, the likelihood of a tie score is minimal. I think how useful a character can be is more important than how they rate relative to other characters. Obviously, if you have access to all of the characters, you will use your best. But if you are at earlier stages and are limited by ISO and covers, it is worthwhile to know if someone, while not the best, is still worth investing in.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Moovine wrote:
    When's the cut off for posting the results of this? I've got characters I need to retire to make way for 4-star and 5-star characters icon_e_smile.gif
    --
    Moovine
    http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Moovine/

I originally said next Friday (2/26), but may close it earlier if new votes slow down. We have gained another 200 in the past two days.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Terrific new format for this. Just did my voting - thanks for taking the initiative!
  • Ruibarian
    Ruibarian Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I miss the old version where we ranked them 1 to however many characters there are because it created more variation. It's harder only having 10 different tiers for 40 characters (3* land). About to complete it now. Will post my rankings when I'm done!

Edit:

Yo, you've got some weird **** priorities if you think Punisher and QS are on the same level as Falcon and worse than Mystique and Bullseye.

Also, 7 for Thor? and a 9 for IM40? Are you high?
  • Ruibarian
    Ruibarian Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    cardoor wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

1. Girl A
    2. Girl B

Iron Man (Model 40) 9
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 9
    Loki (Dark Reign) 9
    Magneto (Classic) 9
    The Hood (Classic) 9
    Blade (Daywalker) 8
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 8
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) 8
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 8
    Wolverine (Patch) 8
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 7
    Daken (Classic) 7
    She-Hulk (Modern) 7
    Thor (Modern) 7
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 6
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 6
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 6
    Storm (Mohawk) 6
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 6
    Bullseye (Classic) 5
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 5
    Human Torch (Classic) 5
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 5
    Beast (Classic) 4
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 4
    Punisher (Dark Reign) 4
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 4
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 4
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 3
    Colossus (Classic) 3
    Psylocke (Classic) 3
    Vision (Android Avenger) 3
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 2
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 2
    Spider-Man (Classic) 1
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 1

Now lets convert them to your scale:

Iron Man (Model 40) 10
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 10
    Loki (Dark Reign) 10
    Magneto (Classic) 10
    The Hood (Classic) 10
    Blade (Daywalker) 9
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 9
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) 9
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 9
    Wolverine (Patch) 9
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 9
    Daken (Classic) 9
    She-Hulk (Modern) 9
    Thor (Modern) 9
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 8
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 8
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 8
    Storm (Mohawk) 8
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 8
    Bullseye (Classic) 8
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 8
    Human Torch (Classic) 8
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 8
    Beast (Classic) 7
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 7
    Punisher (Dark Reign) 7
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 7
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 7
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 7
    Colossus (Classic) 7
    Psylocke (Classic) 7
    Vision (Android Avenger) 7
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 6
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 6
    Spider-Man (Classic) 5
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 5

I get exactly what you're saying here, but we're not comparing each list in and of itself, we're comparing everyone's ranking. There are absolutely 1's at every level, i.e. a character you're NEVER going to level (At least, that's how I chose my 1's.) Most of my characters fell above a 5 because I think most characters are pretty good options. Yeah, we all know IF, Cyke, Cage and SWitch run away with the competition and arguably Blade and KK are part of that group of elites, but the list isn't really about those obvious facts, it's about the subtleties.

How good do people think Doom or MoStorm are? In my PvE Alliance, LCap is a lot more liked; Vision and Bullseye are a lot better because you don't get crapped on when you're on defense. Is CMags better than BP? DP? I think this rating is wildly different for people who have XFW. Sentry is super annoying in PvP, but in PvE, where team self-damage matters a lot more since you're trying to completely avoid any damage on Goon nodes, he's a lot less useful

Just my insights. Ock is also a lot better in PvP with Goons feeding his black.
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Welcome back, ebolamonkey. And thanx for doing this.
  • Daredevil217
    cardoor wrote:
    Why not just rank them honestly and call it a day? If girl B is an 8 just rank her at 8. Trying to game the rankings in order to give those you think are 10's more contrast actually makes the rankings less accurate. If someone thinks a character should be ranked under 5, great (as long as that is their real opinion)

Well if I'm being honest, I don't see Loki and Iron Fist as on the same level. So rating them both 10s seems silly. I've essentially broken each star level up into 10 "tiers" of characters. First tier, second tier, etc. you did the same but used 5 tiers instead of ten. Either way, the end result is going to be the same. Just those who used a 10 point scale had more variability between characters than those who used a 5 point scale.
    Ruibarian wrote:
    Yo, you've got some weird **** priorities if you think Punisher and QS are on the same level as Falcon and worse than Mystique and Bullseye.

Also, 7 for Thor? and a 9 for IM40? Are you high?

I think Thor had been overrated for awhile and the meta has passed him by as he's just too slow now. I do like that he's idiot proof on defense and self feeding, and he has a great yellow, but he's not exactly a guy people are skipping anymore. I think 7 is fair and could see people putting him at 8, but any higher is silly to me.

Pun, QS and Falcon all have niche uses. Definitely below average but very good in those niche uses. I guess QS may be more than a niche guy. I need more time with the new version, but I mainly use him for board control / tile swap.

Mystique and Bullseye are underrated. More so Bullseye. With Mystique I'm a 3* only player and with so many black batteries I like black nukes. Masterstoke is one of the best. She's no Cyclops, but then I rated her several tiers below him. I like her as a battery too. Again, she's no Cyclops or Switch but is several tiers below them too.

Bullseye just continues to be criminally underrated. He's a consistent running mate with patch due to his purple being selectable. Match away any clustered purple, then hit the hard to reach ones usually killing someone in the process and triggering black... Oh that black. When Lester starts racking up kills I've been known to do 3K off match damage alone! Mines championed so respecing to 5 Green is nice for board control but I don't do that because his green is costly. Still he's a great character.

IM40 I already explained. I should have rated him higher but didn't think it was fair to give a 10 to someone I hadn't tried out yet. If you're saying a 9 is too high then you obviously haven't played the new version. He's now probably the first guy I go to, ends matches quick and allows me to punch way above my weight class. Tier 1 easily.
    Ruibarian wrote:
    I get exactly what you're saying here, but we're not comparing each list in and of itself, we're comparing everyone's ranking. There are absolutely 1's at every level, i.e. a character you're NEVER going to level (At least, that's how I chose my 1's.) Most of my characters fell above a 5 because I think most characters are pretty good options. Yeah, we all know IF, Cyke, Cage and SWitch run away with the competition and arguably Blade and KK are part of that group of elites, but the list isn't really about those obvious facts, it's about the subtleties.

How good do people think Doom or MoStorm are? In my PvE Alliance, LCap is a lot more liked; Vision and Bullseye are a lot better because you don't get crapped on when you're on defense. Is CMags better than BP? DP? I think this rating is wildly different for people who have XFW. Sentry is super annoying in PvP, but in PvE, where team self-damage matters a lot more since you're trying to completely avoid any damage on Goon nodes, he's a lot less useful

Just my insights. Ock is also a lot better in PvP with Goons feeding his black.

I think we're saying the same thing. If I think Magneto and Deadpool aren't on the same level then I'm going to put them on different levels. On a 1-5 scale they may be on the same level and are more or less "the same", on a 1-10 I can put one a tier above another which feels more accurate.
  • cardoor
    cardoor wrote:
    Why not just rank them honestly and call it a day? If girl B is an 8 just rank her at 8. Trying to game the rankings in order to give those you think are 10's more contrast actually makes the rankings less accurate. If someone thinks a character should be ranked under 5, great (as long as that is their real opinion)

Well if I'm being honest, I don't see Loki and Iron Fist as on the same level. So rating them both 10s seems silly. I've essentially broken each star level up into 10 "tiers" of characters. First tier, second tier, etc. you did the same but used 5 tiers instead of ten. Either way, the end result is going to be the same. Just those who used a 10 point scale had more variability between characters than those who used a 5 point scale.

It would be silly to rate Loki and IF a 10 if that was not your opinion, I agree. That would only happen however if you are assigning unnecessary rules to a fairly simple 10 point system. As I said initially I only rated 3 or 4 10's across all the *'s (not just 3*). Once I know what I think a 10 is, I compare all the characters to that and rank them accordingly.

As I have said numerous times now if I wanted to assign a character a rating of 1-4 I would have; so like you I was using a 10 point system. What my results show that you do not seem to understand is that they rated above 5 because they were none so hideous that 1-4 was required (YET - and this is the important part so please concentrate - 1-4 still exist and have weight in the meaning of the ratings - look above for clues about what that meaning is).
  • Daredevil217
    When are the results being posted?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    We may need to re-do the poll entirely now that everyone has had a chance to use the new and improved IM40!!