Promote Deadpool or Magneto?

mjmora87
mjmora87 Posts: 18
What's everyone's opinion on who I should promote, three star Deadpool or Magneto.

Here my situation. Unfortunately I only have 93,000 Iso at the moment and a Magneto cover that expires in a day and a half. I also have four Deadpool covers expiring anywhere from five and a half days up to 13. Do I go with Magneto since he's close to expiring or Deadpool since I have more covers?

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    to me magneto is a much better character. I consider him one of the very best 3*s. dp is fun and his red is strong, but while dropping megawhales is fun too, 14 for normal whales pretty much requires witch if you want any chance of dropping it consistently. I'd go mags. that blue is strong (one of the strongest blues in the game) and his red leads to cascades and other ap. I can name several well-known teams that mags is a part of: fist/cage or panther or cyke/mags, xf/mags/loki or xpool or fist, thor/mags/loki. dp is good with hood and a blue/green user (groot or ice), but I'd stick with cmags.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    I more or less agree with moose.

I would say that cmags is a tier 2 3*. He was top tier (even post nerf), but was passed over in the first half of 2015 by superior characters, kind of like black panther. Definitely worth having, especially when boosted.

3pool is a tier below cmags. His red is great when boosted (4k for 6ap is a great early move), but doesn't have quite enough punch normally. Whales is a decent aoe (especially with switch fueling it), but there are better/faster options. And while super-whales is great, you hardly need a max level dp to use it.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mags. Overall I'd say he;s the better character.

That said, it depends on what teams you have for them. Cage/Fist/cmags is one of my favourite teams (for DDQ anyways) but pool/switch/hood is also pretty hilarious.

That being said, championing 4 deadpool covers gets the same iso as you'll get for selling them, plus you would sell the cmags cover, so you'd be up 500 iso in that scenario. So if you really need 500 extra iso... icon_e_wink.gif
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    If you intend to eventually promote both then I would probably promote the one with the most covers pending (i.e. Deadpool) to reduce waste. Also 3* DP leads to 4* DP whilst Mags leads to PX and I think 4* DP is a more useful 4* (winfinite aside). But I agree with the others that Magneto is the better character, I still regularly use him and I am well into the 4* transition.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd go with the approach that yields the most legendary tokens soonest. Champ Mags now, then save up for 13 days and champ Deadpool. Unless one or the other is going to make a drastic impact to your ability to achieve progression or placement rewards *today*, the order doesn't otherwise matter. You'll have ample opportunity to champion most of your 3* roster by the time the 4* covers they'll yield become a factor. Getting more legendary tokens now increases the likelihood that you'll have a usable 4* or 5* character.
  • Thanks for all the info guys. I like the analysis of both of these heroes. So clearly Magneto is the better hero and worth promoting.

I guess my other question would be, is Deadpool even worth leveling much past 120 and promoting if I have a fairly solid lineup of maxed out three stars? I guess I kind of feel bad tossing four covers for him but I also don't want to feel like I wasted 97k Iso on leveling him if I don't use him.
  • I'd go with the approach that yields the most legendary tokens soonest. Champ Mags now, then save up for 13 days and champ Deadpool. Unless one or the other is going to make a drastic impact to your ability to achieve progression or placement rewards *today*, the order doesn't otherwise matter. You'll have ample opportunity to champion most of your 3* roster by the time the 4* covers they'll yield become a factor. Getting more legendary tokens now increases the likelihood that you'll have a usable 4* or 5* character.

Sounds like you basically answered what I just asked. Hearing this, that sounds like the strategy to use. Thank you!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjmora87 wrote:
    Thanks for all the info guys. I like the analysis of both of these heroes. So clearly Magneto is the better hero and worth promoting.

I guess my other question would be, is Deadpool even worth leveling much past 120 and promoting if I have a fairly solid lineup of maxed out three stars? I guess I kind of feel bad tossing four covers for him but I also don't want to feel like I wasted 97k Iso on leveling him if I don't use him.
    if I ever return to my 3*s to finish, he's on my list to max, but not high. I put him in the category with patch, grocket, doom - good, not great. he's not a bad choice at all. he's more in that "personal preference" category. if you enjoy him and play him often, do it. if not, don't.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    When boosted, Deadpool fills a niche few individual characters can -- cheap but potent quick-strike damage combined with beefy group damage (although it's expensive compared to JG's) -- not to mention his "tinykitty it, this match is over" escape hatch provided by Mega Whales. He's worth maxing.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Also, as previously mentioned, Redpool feeds XDP, who, apart from being a mid-high tier 4* (depending on whom he's paired with), also has longevity as an excellent partner for OML and SS later on in the 5* transition. So worthwhile maxing eventually. Agree with prioritising CMags first, though.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really, really think DP 3* is way better than most forum goers give him credit for. Head to head yes, Magneto is better individually for damage (conditionally) but I actually like DP better because I pair him with Cage and Switch and it is one of my most effective teams for PvE or shield simulator PVP. Color scheme is another issue for Magneto because I already have Cap and IM40 and Magneto and there are many times I choose one of them over Mags. DP color scheme of red/black/purple is fairly uncommon in 3* land. If you want DP to be super effective as noted above though, Switch is a must at 5 blue covers. Magneto is probably more useful for normal PvP however I tend to use him less in PvE since I prefer Cap and IM40 in PvE. I would say you want both eventually maxed and champed but I don't think you can lose either way. For me, I would go with the character you have more covers for which would be DP since it seems you won't be able to level them both. Mags will be coming around in a couple of weeks in DDQ again since he is at the start of the rotation and we are getting nearer to the end. By that time you will hopefully have him maxed or close to max leveled. That is the strategy I have always used when championing and it has worked pretty good for me.

This is how I would compare them:

Magneto
    1.) His red power is very good damage for 8 AP but often times overrated imo - bonus - can provide matches/cascades - cons - really works terrible with some character combinations (QS, Grocket, anyone who benefits from TU tiles on board) - sometimes it just doesn't work well if there aren't enough TU tiles on the board regardless
    2.) His blue power is his best power for 10 AP as it can offer amazing damage - bonus - sometimes you can get a red or blue match from the board shuffling but in my experience limited - con - if there isn't enough red or blue tiles on the board this power really drops in damage so it is still somewhat conditional
    3.) His yellow is a throwaway power at 3 covers but is better than most - defense never hurts but the strength of the shields doesn't really impact the game

Deadpool
    1.) His red power is actually very good damage for 6 AP and can be very effective on the same character several times - con - it does have diminishing returns if you use on the same character more than twice in most cases but....
    2.) You usually don't need to use it more than that since his purple power is a good AoE damaging attack (little over 4300 per character at max level or so I think?) - Super Whales is a very good ability to have too - you won't use it often but when you do it will be really, really valuable - like beating the Gauntlent or super whaling last two matches to get to a progression reward in PvP etc.
    3.) His black passive is a throwaway power too just like Mags but it is better than nothing as he can intercept an attack against an ally in some cases and if the 1 turn countdown goes off, he heals around 930 or so damage I believe around max level

Edit: Hilarious...this is an old post from a month ago I just saw. Oh well hopefully it may help anyone else in a similar scenario and hopefully the OP has both of them maxed now icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Actually in Tex mex I was doing his red more than HBs. Because it was doing 5500 for 6 ap lol. Only punched them when I can kill. Def underrated