To spend or save... Taco tokens.

Stick
Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
edited February 2016 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi there! So, I'm not too sure what the best use of taco tokens is. Since they came out I've waffled between saving and spending them. I've mostly spent mine and got some useful stuff out of it. Now, I'm saving all my savoury ones and spending the sweet ones. I'm sitting on somewhere between 100-110 of them and getting an itchy trigger finger. Should I keep saving until I hit 300 for max lulz? Or should I take the risk and pop em until I get the 4 stars/Ltoken each week?

I'm at the point where I don't really have a lot of covered 4 stars. IWs sitting at lvl 138, Wolvie's maxed at 94, I've got Carnage with 5 black covers somehow, and the other (9?) 4 stars I've got at this point only have 1-3 covers each IIRC. The majority of my 3 stars are between 130-150 right now. The good ones are sitting at 150 and I've been levelling the others as they're boosted for PVE, which is where I do most of my playing. I don't spend a lot of cash on HP, and when I get HP it almost always goes to roster space.

With the announcement of Champions I've been stockpiling tokens and covers as well.

Comments

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tacos are the best source of health packs. Save them for when you need some during the pve grind/pvp climb.

Standard and Heroic tokens I open as I get them. I'm going to start hoarding Legendary tokens now as I don't see when I'll be able to max 4* anytime soon. This will avoid the dupes that would of gotten sold for 1000 iso.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Championing now, I'll be opening mine whenever there is a favorable amount of good 3* characters in it since those are worth something to me now. The current one has no-one I have max leveled & champed so I'll wait.
  • Stick
    Stick Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    It was 111, I decided to open them. I champed most of my two stars, because it seems like you get more ISO back in the long run. Ended up getting one legendary token, 2 IW covers, one Cho, one 4* cyke, about 6-10 3 stars that I mostly didn't need, 750(?) hp, about 20k ISO give or take, a bunch of 2 stars and now I have 80+ health packs. Whoops.

I also noticed if you're not using the current vault, it randomizes it every single pull. Didn't figure that out until I started getting rarer draws. Oh well. I'm actually somewhat satisfied. Woulda liked some ice man covers! or even fury for today's DDQ, but what are ya gonna do?
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    I've been saving my Taco Tokens for quite a while now. I currently have 76 for the Savory vault and 140 for the Sweet Vault. While I did, clearly, spend a bunch of my Savory tokens a few months ago, I'm currently saving both varieties until I have 300 and then I'll buy the entire matching vault. Saving like this is more difficult somedays than others but I have the willpower for it.

I also saving my Standard tokens until I have 50. Then I open them until I pull a 3* or run out of tokens. I know it doesn't change my odds since the Standard pulls are more random but it sure is a pleasure to open token after token. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like it depends on where you're at in the game.

A 2* transitioner at any stage should open them, so long as you have available roster slots. If you get a 2*. champ 'em or sell. 3* rewards, add to current, recruit, or agonize over who to sell off.

Early 3* - cash 'em in if you have roster slots.

Late 3* (ie, have several unchampioned but fully covered people) - hold on to them until you've got enough Iso to level up.

3* transition - hold until the vault has the 4* you want, then spend until you get it. Retain the rest.

My advice is all purely theoretical. I've spent my Deadpool tokens immediately since inception. I'm just recently getting to the point where I would consider holding on to them, but with many championed 3*'s I think I'll keep cashing them out. There's one or two slots in the Daily where I have more than one character who's fully covered but short on levels, so I may hoard in those phases. But anytime I'm 80% likely to get a champ+ (or better) I'm gonna take it.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    I'm in the 3-->4 transition. I've got 200ish in each vault. I keep thinking I'm gonna hold out to 300 in each just for the heck of it but I might start testing my luck bc I want those 4s
  • pabasa130
    pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    If you are aiming for the top 3 tokens in the vault ( token_legendary.png and the two four stars), there is some maths in there, although I can't find the post.

the initial draw of a 300 content vault has a 3/300=1% chance of getting the top three rewards. Every time you fail to get any of the three, your chance goes up (3/299, 3/298, etc). The moment you draw one of the three, your chance drops again. So ideally the strategy here is to wait for a vault that contains both 4*s that you need, and start drawing until you get any of the three, at which point you stop opening and start saving again. I think someone did the math and said the ideal amount of tokens needed to start this is 100.

Does not apply if you are not aiming for the top 3 tokens.
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    I am going for 290+ in each cause that way if I don't get all I want I buy the slots remaining with all  the HP ;)
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Um. This post was like three years old. Usually best not to add to threads that have been dormant that long.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Um. This post was like three years old. Usually best not to add to threads that have been dormant that long.
    I'm impressed that a thread that old got necroed randomly like this!
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm impressed that a thread that old got necroed randomly like this!
    TBH, I find myself asking myself that question every week.
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    🌮 has health pack in vault. I pull 🌮 only when I burned my health packs, which means I played a lot 😎
  • Carnifex
    Carnifex Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    Hi guys.

Would just like to bump this thread as I am also in this position now. I've tried searching the forums and reddit but I can only find answers for 2*-3* transition players. I am a 3*-4* transitioner and I'm unsure whether to spend or hoard my tokens. I'm sitting on about 120 sweet/savoury tokens each which I've gathered over the last however many months. I've never completed the 4* DPD node as I only have a handful of heroes capable of completing it, so I can't get the max amount of tokens daily. 
    I know these vaults aren't worth hoarding for the 4* characters, but should I keep saving for the guaranteed HP or open to get the rewards from my farms? 
    Thanks guys. 

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am well into my 4* transition with 10 champed characters. I am currently using a hybrid technique where I hoard until there is a meta 4* character that I do not have champed in the vault and then I pull. I have Juggernaut, Sabertooth, Karnak, and Chavez (maybe 2099 and Silk) that all need covers so it isn’t a long wait compared to saving 300 covers.  I don’t always get the 4* but I get a ton of hp when I do start pulling. It is definitely better than when I got small amounts of disappointment every week. 
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Carnifex said:
    Hi guys.

Would just like to bump this thread as I am also in this position now. I've tried searching the forums and reddit but I can only find answers for 2*-3* transition players. I am a 3*-4* transitioner and I'm unsure whether to spend or hoard my tokens. I'm sitting on about 120 sweet/savoury tokens each which I've gathered over the last however many months. I've never completed the 4* DPD node as I only have a handful of heroes capable of completing it, so I can't get the max amount of tokens daily. 
    I know these vaults aren't worth hoarding for the 4* characters, but should I keep saving for the guaranteed HP or open to get the rewards from my farms? 
    Thanks guys. 

Hello, I am a long term player who is in 5star champed tier on their main account and just finished champing all the 3stars on their alternative account.  

Do you have all 4stars rostered? Do you have HP for the potential 4stars that you would roster?

Ultimately, you need to figure out if you can make use of rewards you get from tacos.  

If you pull them as you earn them, realistically you will pull iso8, healthpacks and maybe some HP and a 3star cover or a 4star cover /LL token if very lucky.  

The reason why you'd want to save up Tacos would be to target the 4star, target the Latest Legend token, or just be able to get some guaranteed Hero Points and healthpacks if you need them.  

On my main account I am hoarding Tacos until I get 300. Then spending until I get the LL. Currently hoarding LL and CP until some nice things show up in latest.
    On my alt account, I don't have all the 4stars rostered and am trying to not spend HP on roster slots. So just getting HP by playing instead of buying from special offers and the store.  

If it helps you work out the maths, I think you end up earning 300 of one token in ~167 days. You get 15 every 5 days, and then it swaps to the other vault.

The good thing about the 4star Deadpool Daily node, is that you can do most of them if you have the required 3star championed and only a single cover of the 4star. So give it a try or two and if you get stuck you can always use a strong teamup like dropping whales.

I guess the TLDR would be: Open Tacos as you earn them if you are fine with randomly getting the good rewards and most of the time just getting a 2star cover, some healthpacks or some Iso8.

Target 4s that would help you do PVE and PVP better to smoothen the transition.