New player - looking for advice

Unknown
edited February 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Hey guys and gals.

Just looking for some advice off the veterans on here.

I've been playing for 14 days and my roster is looking average I expect for the timeframe.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/jimmy1532/

Little confused as to what I should focus on and which chars to roster at the moment.

Currently waiting to be rostered - lacking space. I've ordered in time left (longest to lowest). Daredevil is sitting at 5 days before I have to make a decision.

Modern Hawkeye ** blueflag.png
Modern Hawkeye ** purpleflag.png
Grey Suit Black Widow *** redflag.png
Patch Wolverine *** greenflag.png
Classic Bullseye *** blackflag.png
Mohawk Storm *** blackflag.png
Mohawk Storm *** blackflag.png
Modern Hawkeye ** redflag.png
Man Without Fear Daredevil *** redflag.png

Sitting on 50 HP (Can't seem to down Rag for the extra) / 49272 ISO / 43 CP

PVE placement is typically top 50 for those I've attempted so far. PVP is more difficult for me. DPD quests I can complete the * and adjacent Taco Token quest each day. Prologue is done besides a few * I am saving for when needed and Ragnarok.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    1) Juggernaut is the best all-around 1* and will eventually be the only 1* you need to keep on your roster. (edit: check! I see you have already done this)

2) don't waste iso or HP now, you will want them more later: so don't level any 1* up past about 30 or so. But the time you get there, you should be getting close to having a 2* high enough to eclipse your 1* roster and the iso is better spent on 2*s. (edit: stop leveling IMHB for now. focus on getting the top tier 2*s to 94; then focus on getting the best 3*s to max; THEN you can worry about 4*s)

3) don't open tokens unless you have enough HP to buy a new roster slot should you get a new character. It will slow down your progress a bit, but it's MUCH better than the feeling the squeeze to spend real cash when you have an iron fist or Iceman cover wasting away in your queue about to expire. tokens never expire.

4) try to keep every 3*-4* cover that you pull. They are needed for essentials and aren't terribly easy to replace.

5) think carefully before rostering a 5* should you be fortunate enough to pull one from a legendary token. Until you have characters in the 166-200 range, even a single 5* might cause problems for your scaling.

6) be patient! progress in this game can be quite slow. it will probably be 1-2 months before you have your first 3* fully covered. And many many months past that before you can get a 4*. It's easy to be tempted to drop a lot of money on 40 packs or something thinking it will help you speed up your roster development. Try to resist that urge if you don't have hundreds of dollars to burn. The most likely outcome of buying a 40 pack is that you will end up with a few covers for LOTS of characters. So you will just end up needing more HP to roster everyone without making any real progress).

6) Of the covers you list, Patch green is the one to prioritize. Patch is a great transition character. His green is a very fast damage multiplier, and when you can get it his yellow will save you a ton of health.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some general advice first, stop putting ISO into your 3*s and especially your 4*s for the moment. Your goal right now should be to optimally build and cover max your 2*. They will be your workhorses in generating ISO and covers for your 3* and 4* characters. In general characters don't really become useful until you get 7+ covers (and usually more like 10+ covers), if you dump ISO into them you are going to be doing nothing but increasing your scaling, making it harder for your well covered 2* to compete.

Of the specific covers you list I would prioritize 2* Hawkeye first. With 2* Mags and baby thor he can be very useful. Of the 3*, I would think in terms of which characters are top tier and also which characters will give you covers for when you champion your 2*. I would rank the 3* you have as follows

Patch
    Storm
    GSBW
    Bullseye
    Daredevil

The top 4 all 3* are all good and have 2* that feed them covers. Bullseye has a feeder but is a niche character in both 2* and 3* land. Honestly Id rather take the 500 ISO from selling a DD cover in your spot. He's a low tier character who doesn't have a 2* champion feeder. Note that GSBW may be a better character but red is her worst cover and you have multiple mostorm covers so i rank her higher for you.

Please look at NPs guide viewtopic.php?style=1&f=6&t=3939 (which is useful still but getting outdated) as well as the new character rankings when they are done. This should help you get a sense of which characters are the best within each tier.

Finally, don't open tokens unless you have enough HP for a roster slot since you never know when RNGesus will give you a character you don't have rostered.
  • Thank you for the quick and in depth replies!

Patch Green will definitely be rostered. 2 * Hawkeye too seems a definite.

I will try to work in Storm and GSBW too. Bullseye and DD seem to be better off selling for ISO, I'll follow your advice for that. I had to sell a Nova and X-23 because of scaling issues, it was difficult to sell them but now I am finding it more manageable.

My 2* covers are trickling in slowly. In terms of tokens, is it best also to save Recruit Tokens also until roster slots develop? I have been (shamefully) using my heroic tokens immediately hoping for more 2* covers, I'll be patient and save from now on. Also in that line - I've been using my Taco Tokens too, same question - should I save those? Thank you.

In terms of making space for the suggested characters, any recommendations on which of my characters to sell for room if no roster space develops in time?

Ms. Marvel has the most covers of my 2s but is also the least used at the moment. I am hesitant to put ISO into her as I'm not sure if the slot would be better used for another.

Thank you both for the help.
  • Some good advice in here already. I would rank those 3*s like this:

Patch
    GSBW
    Daredevil
    Storm
    Bullseye
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    TC,

The risk of opening standard tokens is relatively small, so if you really need to open something. That's not the worst idea.
    Save your tacos though. Eventually you can use them to target key 4* covers (once you save up hundreds) and in the meantime you should view them as healthpack repositories. It usually doesn't takeoff than 5-10 tacos to pull 5 healthpacks and that can be a great way to save HP/time when grinding out a pve sub.

But I would focus mainly on building your 2*s from pvp matches. Don't worry about PvP event placement since you can't do well with your current roster, but play anyway as each win is a shot at 2* covers.

Don't put his in 2* marvel. She's not worth it. Imo, the good 2*s are (in descending value order): obw, ares, daken, cStorm, mnmags. Thor and wolvie are also good, but ares is better for the same colors. Moonstone is also an interesting niche player for over-leveled pve nodes (control shift on beefy special tiles is fun) but she is a luxury item and not necessary. You should probably plan to max 4-6 2*s. More than that is a waste of iso.