Character Rankings February 2016 Edition: Voting Closed

Ebolamonkey84
Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
edited February 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long period of time between this and the last ranking thread. I was working with someone on getting the survey into a website specifically for MPQ so I wouldn't have to use free survey sites, but real life and other priorities have delayed that from happening.

Since the last survey, we've gone from 69 to 92 available characters, and the stream hasn't really slowed down much. 3* characters are no longer released, 4* have become the new 3* but the ability to get them has only increased slightly, and a new tier was released that can completely destroy all lower tiers.

Because the tiers have even less overlap than before, I've decided to split the survey by star tiers. This way the rankings will be useful to people at all points of the game, rather than just those focused on the meta.

Since it has been so long since the last one and there are so many new characters, I will keep the survey open until Wednesday, 2/24.

Here is the link.

Comments

• Minox
    Minox Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    First of all, thanks for doing this. The previous ones helped a lot as a starting player.
    Secondly, I'll be the annoying guy : do we rate IM40 as the old version or as the new version coming up? Same thing with Quicksilver.
  • geno685
    geno685 Posts: 53 Match Maker
    Minox wrote:
    First of all, thanks for doing this. The previous ones helped a lot as a starting player.
    Secondly, I'll be the annoying guy : do we rate IM40 as the old version or as the new version coming up? Same thing with Quicksilver.
    I would say use new quicksilver as he is playable, but dont do the new iron man until officially released in my opinion, as the next rankings will allow you to see just how much he improved
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Made sticky until further notice.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Way easier this time,op.thx for doin this
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Over 200 completed responses so far. Thanks for everyone who took the time to complete.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone know about when new Tony is going to drop? I'd like to play with him a bit before ranking.

Also is it possible for me to just rank the 1-3 star characters?

It'll be interesting to see how championing affects certain characters. Like DD (my favorite super hero) gets a lot more utility being able to switch his colors around over someone like Thor who is mostly 3-5-5.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Over 200 completed responses so far. Thanks for everyone who took the time to complete.
    Can you control for repeat survey takers weighting the results towards their preferred characters? Do you get an IP address cross-referenced with each set of results?

P.S. I've taken and completed the survey exactly once - so if there's something in there that pops up during a second attempt I'd've missed it.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Anyone know about when new Tony is going to drop? I'd like to play with him a bit before ranking.

Also is it possible for me to just rank the 1-3 star characters?

It'll be interesting to see how championing affects certain characters. Like DD (my favorite super hero) gets a lot more utility being able to switch his colors around over someone like Thor who is mostly 3-5-5.

I've added an option for "no opinion/experience" so that you can choose not to rate someone.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Melevorn wrote:
    Can you control for repeat survey takers weighting the results towards their preferred characters? Do you get an IP address cross-referenced with each set of results?

P.S. I've taken and completed the survey exactly once - so if there's something in there that pops up during a second attempt I'd've missed it.
    I'm hoping that people aren't going to waste time stuffing the ballot for something like this. The site I'm using does give me the time and approximate location of the survey taker, as well as how long it takes someone to finish, so I can potentially weed out duplicates. I also look for any obvious troll votes based on some indisputably bad/good characters.
  • Completed! Thanks for making it so easy!
  • kyrain
    kyrain Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Done, was a pleasure.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Just finished the survey, can't wait to see the results!!
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    I miss the old version where we ranked them 1 to however many characters there are because it created more variation. It's harder only having 10 different tiers for 40 characters (3* land). About to complete it now. Will post my rankings when I'm done!

Edit:

I didn't rank 4s and 5s, but here's my list:

Juggernaut (Classic) 10
    Spider-Man (Original) 9
    Black Widow (Modern) 8
    Storm (Modern) 7
    Iron Man (Model 35) 6
    Venom (Dark Avengers) 4
    Hawkeye (Classic) 3
    Yelena Belova (Dark Avengers) 1

Black Widow (Original) 10
    Ares (Dark Avengers) 9
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!) 9
    Storm (Classic) 9
    Hawkeye (Modern) 8
    Thor (Marvel NOW!) 8
    Daken (Dark Avengers) 7
    Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) 6
    Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) 5
    Human Torch (Johnny Storm) 5
    Moonstone (Dark Avengers) 4
    Bullseye (Dark Avengers) 3
    Steve Rogers (Captain America) 2
    Spider-Man (Bag-Man) 1

Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) 10
    Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) 10
    Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) 10
    Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) 10
    Iron Man (Model 40) 9
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 9
    Loki (Dark Reign) 9
    Magneto (Classic) 9
    The Hood (Classic) 9
    Blade (Daywalker) 8
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 8
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool!) 8
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 8
    Wolverine (Patch) 8
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 7
    Daken (Classic) 7
    She-Hulk (Modern) 7
    Thor (Modern) 7
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 6
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 6
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 6
    Storm (Mohawk) 6
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 6
    Bullseye (Classic) 5
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 5
    Human Torch (Classic) 5
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 5
    Beast (Classic) 4
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 4
    Punisher (Dark Reign) 4
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 4
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 4
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 3
    Colossus (Classic) 3
    Psylocke (Classic) 3
    Vision (Android Avenger) 3
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 2
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 2
    Spider-Man (Classic) 1
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 1
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks ebola! After mischief, you are the next guy who I see it as the unofficial-official ranking person.

The survey design was very good. Much easier this time. Took me way less time than before.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for this!

I wonder if we can get whomever is in charge of it (Hi-Fi?) to post it in the Facebook page.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Curious to seek how this turns out.

Frankly, I wish we could decide who gets stunned w Wanda's AoE. I would be more comfortable ranking her a 10.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    Curious to seek how this turns out.

Frankly, I wish we could decide who gets stunned w Wanda's AoE. I would be more comfortable ranking her a 10.
    as a standalone, sure I could see where the randomness can be frustrating, but I use her and hood probably more than any other 3* out there. sure fist and cyke are uber powerful but witch can feed so many powerful characters purple (jean, ice, kp, rulk, doom, fist, blade, gsbw/px, etc), I can't not give her a 10 when I use her so much.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Over 680 completed responses so far. The last poll only had 565, so I may consider closing the polling early if the numbers start to trickle.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor

Eschewing the wall of text. Dude. Beast's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the 4 you gave him. He certainly rates above Hulk. Ragnarok's better than a 1. He's a 5. Psylocke and Punisher have been victims of power creep, but they're 5's as well.

I rated Beast a 7. His blue goes off in one turn, and makes his green do Hulk-like damage to the enemy team for one less AP spent. His AoE's a green, which means it's most likely to go off given the number of green generators. Additionally, his green does double damage if **ANY** friendly blue tiles are in play, including free timer tiles from Scarlet Witch, or Daredevil's recurring blue, Cap's blue, etc...

Ragnarok's best treated as a utility character. And while he's not the 2AP spam machine he was, he's not in any way a 1. He has 10K HPs, a self heal which makes Kamala heal the team (for free), and generates green charged tiles. That'd suck if it weren't for the near dozens of green-generating abilities in 3* land. Add to the fact he has 10K HP, and he's much more likely to survive a hit from XFW or Hulkbuster than say, Patch, Hood, Daken, or Loki. Ragnarok is NOT a 1.

Sentry, for that matter, is not a 2. Nor is Spider-Man a 1. Guy. You need more time with the game. They're not great. They're not terrible.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    ronin-san wrote:

Eschewing the wall of text. Dude. Beast's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the 4 you gave him. He certainly rates above Hulk. Ragnarok's better than a 1. He's a 5. Psylocke and Punisher have been victims of power creep, but they're 5's as well.

I rated Beast a 7. His blue goes off in one turn, and makes his green do Hulk-like damage to the enemy team for one less AP spent. His AoE's a green, which means it's most likely to go off given the number of green generators. Additionally, his green does double damage if **ANY** friendly blue tiles are in play, including free timer tiles from Scarlet Witch, or Daredevil's recurring blue, Cap's blue, etc...

Ragnarok's best treated as a utility character. And while he's not the 2AP spam machine he was, he's not in any way a 1. He has 10K HPs, a self heal which makes Kamala heal the team (for free), and generates green charged tiles. That'd suck if it weren't for the near dozens of green-generating abilities in 3* land. Add to the fact he has 10K HP, and he's much more likely to survive a hit from XFW or Hulkbuster than say, Patch, Hood, Daken, or Loki. Ragnarok is NOT a 1.

Sentry, for that matter, is not a 2. Nor is Spider-Man a 1. Guy. You need more time with the game. They're not great. They're not terrible.

I agree with you about Beast and Rags. I don't think I rated anyone under 5, but if I did (it has been a few days) it would have been Sentry or Bagman. I only handed out 3 or 4 10's across all the levels too, so most of my ratings are in the 6-9 range. I don't regret that, because even though there are some standout characters, overall they are fairly balanced.

Edit: just want to add that Vision and Falcon should be higher using PVE criteria. If it is just PVP, then yeah AI doesn't use them well, but when you are in control they are both very powerful.