3* or 4*, who deserves my iso?

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited February 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Since championing went live I have jumped my roster up from a 127 soft-cap to max level 3*'s to the point that I now have 13 3* champs.

I feel that 13 fully leveled 3*s should be enough to start feeding my iso8.png to the 4* crew as I have a few now on 6-7 covers that may start to prove usable once leveled up to bring them on par with my 3*'s (170 ish).

This bring said, I have yet to get 13 covers for icon_ironfist.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_scarletwitch.png, who are arguably the most popular 3*s around. Also my icon_blade.png has a spare cover queued and I have the iso8.png to max him (although that will burn the full 110k I have stashed).

This is a real "first-world problem" i know, but how would you guys proceed:
    Keep on saving and a-grinding until the final covers drop for
icon_ironfist.pngicon_lukecage.pngicon_scarletwitch.png

Dump my remaining iso into icon_blade.png for the token_legendary.png

Share the wealth and show my puny 4*'s a little love.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, my full roster is in my Sig and its up to date, just ran through and updated it for this very reason.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blade is pretty awesome and can really benefit from the free respec from being a champion, so I don't think that's a bad option. You also don't seem to have enough covers for your fourstars to make them viable threats just now, so I think you are better served for now building your top tier three-stars - at the very least the ones you mentioned. So do Blade and you'll likely have ISO for the others once their covers come around.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd wait for those covers unless it starts piling up. those 4s don't look close. if the covers don't come in before the iso starts piling too high, blade is ok to go with, but I haven't chosen to max him yet. he's probably 4th or 5th on my list of my 3*s left, but I'm concentrating on 4s for now. blade is not bad - he's solid. I just don't play him much. not sure if i'll ever revisit the 3*s - only if they completely restructure the iso in the game.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    All 4 of those characters are very good 3*. It will also depend on what you feel you are best at PVP or PVE. If you soft capped before and specialize in PVE level blade then IF, then Cage. SW does not need levels to be good as she is more support to generate purple for others and create match 5's. If you are looking to do better in PVP focus on IF and Cage. Blade is good, but does better against goons when you can keep red on the board. In PVP if you can starve the board of red it really neutralizes Blade. In PVE having a championed Blade is fun as you can run him 5 black with 5 green, or 5 purple and 5 green and alternate depending on the match up. I have seen some people prefer 5 purple and 5 black too.
    Also if you are doing LR you should be able to earn enoug ISO in 2 weeks to level IF and cage if you level blade now, so even if you pulled a cover today for both you could still earn enough ISO to level them in a short amount of time. All 4 of those 3* are very good so if you hold off on 4* for 3-4 weeks it won't kill you.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards
    In general, the value of 4*s is as the required character in PVE or as a deterrent in PVP. Honestly, many (I'd even say most) 4*s are only marginally better than 3*s. So their value in PVE is decent, but for PVP only the top tier is much of a deterrent. I posted this on another thread, but it's useful info, so I'll repeat it here. This is what I (and many others,) see as the top tier, divided into two teams. I've indicated their best color in parenthesis.

Red Team
    Hulkbuster (Red)
    Cyclops (Red)

Green Team
    Iceman (Green)
    Jean Grey (Purple)
    Red Hulk (Green)

From what I've seen, I believe Nova fits up there in the Red Team; I don't know what color is best for him. You want one from each team - they all play great with anyone from the opposite team, at most missing one color. The color I indicate above needs to be at 5 - anything less isn't much of a deterrent and in most cases there's a really steep drop off in damage. Other colors are good (and there's an ideal build for each of them, really,) but that's the color you want to have maxxed before they'll be considered a real threat.

The TL;DR version of my post is that I think you should concentrate on your 3*s until you can get at least one or two viable top tier 4*s. I don't think they'll be of much value until you do. Creep them up when it will be useful to do so (e.g. they're featured in PVE or you think you can win their DPDQ,) but otherwise focus on the 3*s.
  • Wooodd
    Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Thanks for the input guys.

It was my initial thought to keep on keeping on, but then this voice in my head keeps telling me "your delaying your own transition by hitting up 3*'s over and over you fool"

Then again for day 206 what is the rush right. I'm still a toddler in the game by comparison to most.

I am mainly PvE too so I suppose its all relative right, I do hit PvP but only to around the 650 mark (800 if I have the patience / healthpack.png's left over).
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am in a similar boat as you and decided to continue focusing on 3* because I still don't have enough 4* covers on any one to make them worth pouring ISO into yet. I think my top covered 4* are Nick Fury, Wolv XF, and Hulkbuster at 7-8 covers. There are still a few 3* I want to max as I know I will continue to get way more 3* covers than 4* and have found championing to be a very useful addition for getting cover/rewards. I am finishing off my Patch currently (6 levels to go) and still plan on maxing out Punisher, Loki, Daredevil and BGSW plus maybe IM40 depending on how he plays after the patch. I figure by the time I max all of these characters out (maybe 2 months from now) I will have collected a few more 4* covers to maybe make one or two of my 4* of use. I still haven't found Hulkbuster to be better than my 3* (played him boosted) as I only have 3 red and need to get those other two red covers before dumping Iso into him.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    I feel that 13 fully leveled 3*s should be enough to start feeding my iso8.png to the 4* crew as I have a few now on 6-7 covers that may start to prove usable
    No, they won't. A maxed 3* will be much, much better than a half-covered 4*. Don't even consider wasting ISO on them yet.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    As a vet with a strong 4 star roster I continue to invest in my 3's because that's the way the current game is. 3's are featured in every PVP. To be competitive in PVP, you really only need 2 or 3 of the right characters to compete. Jeanbuster isn't scaring too many people these days but offensively it is still pretty effective. Jean Gray, HulkBuster and Bobby Drake are the key three. Invest in them but otherwise just keep putting it in your 3's.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    westnyy2 wrote:
    As a vet with a strong 4 star roster I continue to invest in my 3's because that's the way the current game is. 3's are featured in every PVP. To be competitive in PVP, you really only need 2 or 3 of the right characters to compete. Jeanbuster isn't scaring too many people these days but offensively it is still pretty effective. Jean Gray, HulkBuster and Bobby Drake are the key three. Invest in them but otherwise just keep putting it in your 3's.
    they really complicated that here when they doubled the number of boosted 4s. this coming week there will be many xpool/thing teams well into the 300s running around, and if those are champed, look out for that xpool black! personally I'm pretty done with 3s with 16 champs until I get the top 2 tiers of 4s maxed, which most of mine have covers for.
  • Even boosted 7 cover 4*s aren't worth running 99% of the time over a strong max leveled 3*.

Staple teams like Fist Cage, Fist Cyc, Switch DP, KK Lthor, Cmags Patches, Fist BP, Lcap Cyc, etc. are much better than undercovered 4*s, even before we take any 3* boosts into account.