Nissa's Heroic Encounter 1: Gaea's Revenge

Options
raidan
raidan Posts: 128
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I have beaten 24 of the 25 Heroic encounters, but I cannot beat Nissa's first deck that has Gaea's Revenge and Evolutionary Leap.

I have tried a bounce/control deck, but hexproof ensures nothing works.

I have also tried a burn/support destroy deck, but even if I kill Gaea's Revenge and Evolutionary Leap, I barely manage to hold on for a couple more rounds.

For those of you who have beat this, what strategy did you use?

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does Gaea's Revenge trample? If not, Murder Investigation could shut it down.
    Edit: throw in Knightly Valor and you don't even need to use Sharp Eyes to give your soldier tokens Vigilance
  • Murder investigation works, consul wil also just completely destroy it as it is a 6/5 first striker for 12 once you cast sharp eyes on him.

Gideon wipes the floor with nissa.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have beaten this level, but I forgot if I did it with Nissa or Chandra.

First thing you want to do is get rid of the Evolutionary Leap. With Chandra, you need Demolish or Smash to Smithereens early on (or get really really lucky with a Volcanic Rambler). Then you need to smash your creatures into their creatures or have their creatures smash your creatures. So, defender / reach / berserker. After that, you need to not be dead long enough to finish the opponent.

With Nissa, you can try to cascade into an early Conclave Naturalists to get rid of the Evolutionary Leap, and fight the ground war with berserker / defender / reach.

If you have The Great Aurora, then just cast it early on, wipe out Evolutionary Leap and Gaea's Revenge at the same time and then start throwing down your troops.

In blue, you might be able to do something cute with Day's Undoing and Displacement Wave.

I had overall success with this Chandra build:

Chandra's Fury
    Embermaw Hellion
    Exquisite Firecraft
    Fiery Impulse
    Ghirapur Aether Grid
    Iroas' Champion
    Lightning Javelin
    Skyraker Giant
    Smash to Smithereens
    Volcanic Rambler

This Nissa Build:

Animist's Awakening
    Battlefield Forge
    Conclave Naturalists
    Dwynen's Elite
    Honored Hierarch
    Mage-Ring Network
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Rhox Maulers
    Skysnare Spider
    The Great Aurora

This other Nissa Build:

Aerial Volley
    Animist's Awakening
    Brawler's Plate
    Dwynen's Elite
    Honored Hierarch
    Nissa's Pilgrimage
    Ramroller
    Rhox Maulers
    Skysnare Spider
    The Great Aurora

and some other builds I didn't write down. Good luck!