Choose your own PVP adventure.

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
I think it may be time for PVP to be tiered. At the beginning of a season, maybe there should be a choice, 3* or 4*. 3* would be for all the 2 and 3* transitioners, and you play the 3* pvp's as they are now.

4* would be 4* pvp's. All the 4* pvp events exist, but for some reason, the 4* ones seems to never, EVER, be re-run! It's a waste to 1 and done them, so let's put them to use! Change the rewards to 1k for current event cover, 1300 for next event cover, 1500 for LT in these next tier events.

Thoughts?

Added from below"
Azoth658 wrote:
I'm definitely on board (no pun intended) with multiple PVP events.

But how about keeping the 3* events as they are (no change at all to frequency or limitations)

Adding a new 4* event but with restrictions similar to heroic PVE:

4* and 5* characters only.
Seed teams are all 4*s with one of each cover
Event progression rewards suitable to 4* players (more ISO, 200 = random 3*, more gold tokens, 800 = featured 4*, 1000 = classic legendary token, top reward equals latest legendary token)

The above would create an enviroment in PVP where top tier 4* and 5* players will focus their time allowing for 3* players to reach better rewards in the 3* event with pushing themselves.

Lastly the addition of a new 2* event similar in restriction to the 4* event above.
1* and 2* characters only.
Event progression rewards suitable to 2* players

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That should be in the works. Although I'd be a bit sad, because my current 3*s are almost all championed and thus finally useful!

I always think that it's a shame they only do the 4* when it's a new release, because then mine only has 0 to 4 covers, so it's basically useless cannon fodder at that point. It would be great to do a 4* pvp with my current championed thor instead! Although since she has a mountain of health points, each match would last forever icon_e_geek.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    4* would be 4* pvp's. All the 4* pvp events exist, but for some reason, the 4* ones seems to never, EVER, be re-run! It's a waste to 1 and done them, so let's put them to use! Change the rewards to 1k for current event cover, 1300 for next event cover, 1500 for LT in these next tier events.

Thoughts?
    4* PvP should also have more appropriate placement rewards. Right now they're just drop-in replacements for a 3* PvP, rewarding more 3* covers and overwriting a 3* event in the rotation.
  • I would only be in favour of this if the 4* rewards were good enough to lure all the 4*/5* players there, and if you did NOT get the chance to play both.

3* covers actually being obtainable for players who need them, instead of just feeding 5* rosters would be a massive boost to this games long term prospects.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker

But how about keeping the 3* events as they are (no change at all to frequency or limitations)

Event progression rewards suitable to 4* players (more ISO, 200 = random 3*, more gold tokens, 800 = featured 4*, 1000 = classic legendary token, top reward equals latest legendary token)

The above would create an enviroment in PVP where top tier 4* and 5* players will focus their time allowing for 3* players to reach better rewards in the 3* event with pushing themselves.

Lastly the addition of a new 2* event similar in restriction to the 4* event above.
  • Malcrof
    Azoth658 wrote:

That would totally rock, especially replacing 1 and 2* random covers with 2* and 3*, so we can still work on championing while grinding the 4* pvp's. With your permission, i would like to add some of that to my OP
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    It may be time? Heck, it was time for tiers and reward restructuring over a year ago. Still a good idea.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Great idea and it practically writes itself. This would also structure alliances to be 3* and 4* alliances. This would be a serious assistance to 3* transitioners, and make the game a lot more fun and engaging for the 4*'s.
  • Azoth658
    Malcrof wrote:
    Azoth658 wrote:

That would totally rock, especially replacing 1 and 2* random covers with 2* and 3*, so we can still work on championing while grinding the 4* pvp's. With your permission, i would like to add some of that to my OP

Absolutely fine with me.

It'd just be great to see D3 splitting the 3* rosters from the 4* a little more forcing different combinations and thus letting 4* transition players fight eachother in the 4* arena rather than desperately grinding pve for legendary tokens or working so hard for the 1000 4* if they can even get there.

In a world where 4* are becoming the norm make it easier for people to start getting involved.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    I had a thought on this tiered PVP idea...

What if there were three tiers:
    • 2* PVP (3, 4, & 5* characters locked out) - rewards would be 2* & 3* covers
    • 3* PVP (4* & 5* characters locked out) - rewards would be 3* & 4* covers
    • 4/5* PVP - rewards would be LTs, or if Demiurge is feeling generous, occasionally one cover of a specific 5*
    People transitioning to 3* could be playing in the 2* PVP, getting covers and actually progressing while playing opponents of a similar level. 4* transitioners would play in the 3* PVP, and they are playing with other maxed 3*s at the top end of things, not facing legions of Jean Grey/Hulkbusters or OML/anybody else at the high level.

Competition would still be fierce since there would be so many people fighting on the same level, but potentially less frustration because you wouldn't run into teams that there is no possibility of your team winning. And everyone would be working toward progression and placement rewards that make sense to where they're at in the game.

You could also argue for 5* to be locked out of a 4* only PVP tier, but I don't really know the numbers on how many people have maxed/leveled high enough to be scary 5*s right now (a 5* only tier could be something added later though). The 4/5* PVP tier I outlined above would essentially be the same as the PVP that runs today, minus the 3* and 4* transitioners that the big 4* teams might occasionally queue up and fight if MMR allows them to, because those people likely wouldn't have the 4* and 5*s needed to be competitive in that PVP.

All of the PVP graphics and stuff exist for every 3* & 4* character, and coding already exists to lock certain characters out of events, so in theory it would be easy to implement. The 2* tier would require more work, creating graphics and stuff for each 2*, but I think it would be fun for that level of player to join in on.

Separating PVP into tiers also makes the matchmaking theoretically much easier to code. Demiurge wouldn't have to worry about under-leveled characters in higher * tiers being a factor, since we're locking those tiers out.
  • Azoth658
    You're right, I think that there needs to be these tiered events. It's frustrating to climb up the ranks in PVP and find that because I can only field maxed out three stars I will lose hundred of points to teams with maxed jean grey or hulkbuster in their team.

Locking 4* and 5* out of the 3* events would level the playing field a lot. Shield Simulator is where there are 0 restrictions to test out combination teams and you can have off season events like Black Vortex etc with 0 restrictions.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    One potential problem with this is figuring out how to handle alliance scoring. What if it becomes obvious that certain tiers are easier to pump the score in than others, and alliances concerned with their placement start flooding a lower tier in order to focus on alliance rewards?

It might not be a huge deal, but it's a complex system to introduce.
  • Azoth658
    DayvBang wrote:
    One potential problem with this is figuring out how to handle alliance scoring. What if it becomes obvious that certain tiers are easier to pump the score in than others, and alliances concerned with their placement start flooding a lower tier in order to focus on alliance rewards?

I can't imagine this being too much of a problem if the alliance rewards matched the tier.

Why bother focusing on two star event if all you can win is one three star for example
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Azoth658 wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

I can't imagine this being too much of a problem if the alliance rewards matched the tier.

Why bother focusing on two star event if all you can win is one three star for example
    That's my thought as well. If the rewards match the tier, then you really don't have a problem because no 4*/5* transitioner is going to put in a ton of time in a PVP just to earn 2* and 3* covers. The 3* and 4* tiers could also have higher ISO rewards than the 2* tier PVP, since it takes more ISO for each tier to level up their characters.

Edit: And I say a ton of time because you would be forced to use your 2* characters for that PVP, you couldn't just blaze through it with 3*, 4* or 5* characters. And as anyone who plays The Big Enchilada with 2*s knows, those matches aren't exactly the fastest to go through. Even if you have champ 2*s, things can be pokey (when compared to using your maxed 3*s or 4*s).
  • Malcrof
    DayvBang wrote:

With the new scaling and MMR coming, it may be best to be auto-placed, this way, no-one is over or undermatched.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    One potential problem with this is figuring out how to handle alliance scoring.
    Here's an idea: remove alliance rewards completely from PvE, and always have a galactus/ultron running concurrently with the standard PvE.