Nickname character restrictions

Options
Irgy
Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
Hi

I've just installed the game and I'm already frustrated. I'm being asked to choose a nickname. Every time I do, I'm told I need to choose a name "between 6-12" characters. Even when I choose a name that's 6 or 7 characters long.

Now I *assume* it's because some of the characters are things like '.' and '_'. I can't experiment too much since I'll be stuck with the first thing that works, forever apparently. I guess my main question is, how do I found out what characters *do* towards the 6?

I also have some curiosity over what possible good reason there could be for having a 6 character minimum, but that's fairly secondary since I doubt that will change regardless.

I imagine I could just call myself "asdfghjkl" or something but it's going to annoy me every time I play.

Comments

• Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ok well that was an underwhelming response, but for the benefit of anyone who happens to find this thread because they had the same issue, here's what I worked out by experimentation:

You cannot have any non-alphabetical characters in your name at all. These will result in getting the 6 to 12 characters message, even if you have 6-12 total characters, whether you include the non-alphabeticals in that count or not.

So if you're another one of the other people who's online identity is one of the over-12-million unique less-than-six-character strings then, well, at least you know your options now.
  • There are also some odd restrictions. My first choice was not allowed even though it looked quite legal. I eventually concluded it was because it included the letters c-l-a-n (it was actually a placename).