Whale Thing over Jean? Hear me out...

Stormking3
Stormking3 Posts: 38
edited January 2016 in Roster and Level Help
Okay, I know it sounds crazy, but if I already have a 355 Rulk and 553 Ice, will I be fine without another Purple/Green user?

I have HB at 553 and Cyke at 535.
Xpool at 535 too.

That said, I'm thinking Thing can bring something completely different to my roster. It will help a lot on PvE, especially the super buffed nodes.

Thoughts?
(Thanks in advance!)

Comments

• NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    To be fair, I don't have a maxed Thing, but Jean Grey's power is too much to ignore. She's a pillar of the current meta, she punishes the AI for playing the game, and her purple brings most opponents down enough that a single-target nuke should be able to at the very least cripple them (which is why she's such a good partner with Cyke and HB.)

There's no substitute for Jean. Thing is good, but he's niche. Whale Jean.
  • To be fair, I don't have a maxed Thing, but Jean Grey's power is too much to ignore. She's a pillar of the current meta, she punishes the AI for playing the game, and her purple brings most opponents down enough that a single-target nuke should be able to at the very least cripple them (which is why she's such a good partner with Cyke and HB.)

There's no substitute for Jean. Thing is good, but he's niche. Whale Jean.
    Thanks a bunch for the response!

I see the power of her purple, but feel like Rulk and Ice can match it, at least damage-wise. But you have me intrigued with one particular statement...

Can you elaborate on how she punishes the AI for playing the game?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stormking3 wrote:
    Can you elaborate on how she punishes the AI for playing the game?

The AI will always make a match 5 if its in a straight line. So its easy to maneuver the board into forcing the AI to make a match 5. Also, everyone things the AI cheats with massive casscades involving multiple match 5. JG will help prevent that.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    one other point. if you have hb and cyke finished (and 4thor to an extent), do jean. if you don't have any of those 3 (mainly hb/cyke), thing might make more sense (if you don't have hb/cyke, I'm guessing you'd be considering whaling them), but thing doesn't play well with ice or rulk with the green overlap - to me he would go better with xpool or kp or fury
  • I tend to agree with you. Jean is really good, but I think a bit overrated. I fight JeanBusters all the time, but when I run into a XPool/Thing team my thought is always a defeated "Ugh, I really don't feel like dealing with that..." and they often get skipped if not worth 65+ points. I'd rather fight a OML/SS team because win or lose I know it will be over quickly!

edit: To clarify, I don't think Thing is better than JG. It's a matter of what she would add to your roster that isn't already there, and I don't really think she adds as much as Thing would.

edit2: Thanks so much for making this thread. I have IMHB, Rulk, XFW maxed with XPool at 250. My next 270s were going to be Iceman, JG, Carnage, Thing. But now I think I'm going to go with Thing after Iceman instead. The thought of being just another JeanBuster in PvP doesn't appeal to me.
  • I tend to agree with you. Jean is really good, but I think a bit overrated. I fight JeanBusters all the time, but when I run into a XPool/Thing team my thought is always a defeated "Ugh, I really don't feel like dealing with that..." and they often get skipped if not worth 65+ points. I'd rather fight a OML/SS team because win or lose I know it will be over quickly!

edit: To clarify, I don't think Thing is better than JG. It's a matter of what she would add to your roster that isn't already there, and I don't really think she adds as much as Thing would.

edit2: Thanks so much for making this thread. I have IMHB, Rulk, XFW maxed with XPool at 250. My next 270s were going to be Iceman, JG, Carnage, Thing. But now I think I'm going to go with Thing after Iceman instead. The thought of being just another JeanBuster in PvP doesn't appeal to me.
    Thanks for that input.

I'm glad you (and others) see my perspective. Thing is VERY different from my roster compared to Jean, thus upping my overall flexibility. I really think he's going to help me both save health packs AND defeat difficult nodes in PvE too. Much more so than Jean would (considering my current roster).