***** Silver Surfer (Skyrider) *****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    McDongles wrote:

Point is, the ability is short sighted and doesn't work at low covers while the abilities of the other 5*s are functional at even 1 cover.

But again, I am not entirely sure that is true for red either. With one cover you start doing 1300 for 7AP, at level 330 (6 covers) with one cover you do around 1800 and with 2 covers around 2100, creating just one charged tile, with 3 red the same damage one charged more. That is really low! Fisk for 6AP does more than that ( and if there is a countdown even more ).

At least black is something different, but red is very underwhelming as his only damage ability. At 330 with 2-3 covers it should be doing between 3k and 4k at least, a little bit better than comparable 4 abilities, and at 450 with 5 covers around 15k. As is now, a part from the match damage, there is no reason why anybody should use SS with 6 covers instead of using one of the good 4s at 270.

Oooooor we reduce the other 5 attack skills to the same level of SS, but right now the difference is quite big between them.
  • When he was the only 5* his red looked great, a couple R/Y ISO boosts and a couple red matches did 11k damage. But comparing to other 5*s thats quite low now. Maybe D3 gives to charged tiles the same importance than board shake, decreasing significantly the other ratios to 'balance' it?
  • Polares
    ShionSinX wrote:
    When he was the only 5* his red looked great, a couple R/Y ISO boosts and a couple red matches did 11k damage. But comparing to other 5*s thats quite low now. Maybe D3 gives to charged tiles the same importance than board shake, decreasing significantly the other ratios to 'balance' it?

Well, after what we saw with 4hor, it is obvious they do, but they should not. Charged tiles are quite different than strike, attack, shields, etc. that always help you. The enemy can match your charged tiles and get the AP, charged tiles are neutral, so they should lower the cost of this charged tiles compared to other types of tiles. They can accelerate you, but they can accelerate your enemy.

And in SS is even worse than in 4hor case, at least 4hor red damage goes up with charged tiles, but SS damage doesn't. Then 4hor charges tiles of her colors, SS any color, so in fact he could be charging a color that only the other team has (!!!)
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Ugh, another strike against his black... I just matched it away with a 4-match thinking it would stay where it was. icon_redface.gif Is that as-intended? From the "cannot be matched and does not fall" in the description, I assumed it would be immune to that -- as the same action is considered a "match" for the sake of unlocking a tile locked by QS or IW.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Ugh, another strike against his black... I just matched it away with a 4-match thinking it would stay where it was. icon_redface.gif Is that as-intended? From the "cannot be matched and does not fall" in the description, I assumed it would be immune to that -- as the same action is considered a "match" for the sake of unlocking a tile locked by QS or IW.

They said that it could be destroyed with board shake and match 4 and 5s.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:

Hey notamutant, I have a 1/2/4 SS do you think he is worth leveling? I can get him to 360 so that is 300+ match damage for blue, and 21000+ hitpoints, but just 3000 damage for red I think. I don't know if leveling him could rise too much scaling for PvE...

The other day I used OML black, and he destroyed the black hole. So it is not as indestructible as It seemed... :S
  • notamutant
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

Hey notamutant, I have a 1/2/4 SS do you think he is worth leveling? I can get him to 360 so that is 300+ match damage for blue, and 21000+ hitpoints, but just 3000 damage for red I think. I don't know if leveling him could rise too much scaling for PvE...

The other day I used OML black, and he destroyed the black hole. So it is not as indestructible as It seemed... :S

It depends what else you have on your roster. That would be an annoying team to fight, but even at 4 covers in black, his black isn't that great. You pretty much have a match damage only character. Now the match damage is high, along with his health, but that pretty much is what it comes down to. If you have well developed 4 stars, I would use them instead of SS (except for PvE or specific opponents like the Hood). We don't really know the exact mechanics of scaling right now. If we knew leveling him up 60 levels would mean enemies became 30 levels higher, then I would say it isn't worth it since he still can't take on hard nodes with that few covers. SS is also the worst at lower cover levels of all the 5 stars. If you don't have any top tier 4 stars (HB, JG, Iceman, Classiclops, RH), then I would say go ahead and do it to help you climb to 1k more often. If you do, which I am guessing is the case considering how many covers you already have of SS, then I would say hold off for one or two more covers. That extra couple of covers will be what pushes him over the edge.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:

It depends what else you have on your roster. That would be an annoying team to fight, but even at 4 covers in black, his black isn't that great. You pretty much have a match damage only character. Now the match damage is high, along with his health, but that pretty much is what it comes down to. If you have well developed 4 stars, I would use them instead of SS (except for PvE or specific opponents like the Hood). We don't really know the exact mechanics of scaling right now. If we knew leveling him up 60 levels would mean enemies became 30 levels higher, then I would say it isn't worth it since he still can't take on hard nodes with that few covers. SS is also the worst at lower cover levels of all the 5 stars. If you don't have any top tier 4 stars (HB, JG, Iceman, Classiclops, RH), then I would say go ahead and do it to help you climb to 1k more often. If you do, which I am guessing is the case considering how many covers you already have of SS, then I would say hold off for one or two more covers. That extra couple of covers will be what pushes him over the edge.

Yeah I have a good 4 roster (not iceman or RH yet, but all the other are well covered). I guess wait it is then, it is a pitty because if it was OML (mine is 1/1/4) or Phoenix (1/0/1) the one I got with 7 covers I would probably level it.

The worst of all is that even if I pull another red cover, the next one is quite useless, going from 2 to 3 just gives an extra charged tile :s:s:s !?!?!?!?!?!

Ps: It is 'sad' being extremely lucky pulling 5s and not being able to use them for competitive play
  • notamutant
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

Yeah I have a good 4 roster (not iceman or RH yet, but all the other are well covered). I guess wait it is then, it is a pitty because if it was OML (mine is 1/1/4) or Phoenix (1/0/1) the one I got with 7 covers I would probably level it.

The worst of all is that even if I pull another red cover, the next one is quite useless, going from 2 to 3 just gives an extra charged tile :s:s:s !?!?!?!?!?!

Ps: It is 'sad' being extremely lucky pulling 5s and not being able to use them for competitive play

You can still use it unleveled for pve. I use my 1 cover JG unleveled and 3 cover SS unleveled for anything under level 120~.
  • Polares
    notamutant wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

You can still use it unleveled for pve. I use my 1 cover JG unleveled and 3 cover SS unleveled for anything under level 120~.

Yeah I use them in the easy nodes in PvE and in DDQ, but it is not the same icon_razz.gif
  • Because they are in a bad state (ofc) I like to use Phoenix - OML on PvE, specially with IF on the easy nodes. It goes so fast.
  • Hulkster
    Hulkster Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    I've just pulled a blue cover for him and I'm thinking, how to make him useful.

Obviously without more covers his abilities are a bit of a joke. His health and match damage on the other hand isn't.

I wanted to capitalize on that and tried to pair him with red/blue/black batteries since these are his colors.

I've had some successes running him with Doctor Doom, and MNMags (boosted) in the simulator. He tanks everything except for purple. I try to focus on red/blue/black matches. Red is used for Mags Flux, black for Doom's demons and blue for Technopathic Strike (often leads to huge black matches and cascades, the damage is awesome). Usually by the end of the fight he is around 20% of his health but partners are almost unscratched.

I've been thinking about other guys that could create big matches and cascades in that colors and I've come up with:
    Cyclops 3*
    Iceman
    Thor 4* (making charged red and blue tiles)
    Phoenix maybe?
    IMHB (same colors, silver would tank for him)

What do you guys think?

Do you have any nice combos for low level Surfer?
  • He is good combined with characters he can tank for. I love to combine him with Mystique, or even Cyclops (he's maxed out at Stormysusie). His damage for matching tiles is pretty useful. That's why I keep my Surfers although they are disbalancing my team... icon_cool.gif
  • I have been playing with him the same way using him as a tank.

I have found he works well w xfdeadpool and xforce wolverine tanking red and black.

I have also used him w 3* cyclops and fist to try to abuse match damage using cykes yellow and fists purple to feed red and black matches.

I also mostly use blackhole in that team just cus i have 3 covers in it. That being said cykes black is usually better but the match damage cascades and ap generation of black hole can be good esp after fists green for strike tiles.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    SS isn't meant to be as offensive as OML or Phoenix. Keep in mind, he is the only character right now who can blow up Phoenix's countdown at 5 covers thanks to his stun immunity.
    OML has good healing and damage, but its not always sustainable. He is also liable to get CC'd like hulk and them. His dependence on having certain colors at certain amounts shortens team compositions because he would need someone who can fuel his hunger.

SS is meant to be utility and basically undying. True self-heal, the ability to black hole away a lot of issue tiles should he need to, and just **** out charged tiles the whole time.
    3x damage on a 5* damage scale is no laughing matter, and when he is popping 5 at a time it gets crazy.

I mean 16k isn't damage you want to have to do twice. Especially not when he only needs 3 or 4 matches to get it all back... AGAIN.
    Like yeah when you compare him to OML and Phoenix its like "what does he even do?" But I mean put him on any team and he is still good.
    Plus all 3 5*s make a perfect rainbow so...
    Go team go?
  • Sorry bit I fail to see the relation between his stun immunity and Phoenix revive tile. If it's in an unmatchable place you are screwed unless someone can blow it up, and his black takes a turn to start doing so. If it's in a matchable place then anyone can match it.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Sorry bit I fail to see the relation between his stun immunity and Phoenix revive tile. If it's in an unmatchable place you are screwed unless someone can blow it up, and his black takes a turn to start doing so. If it's in a matchable place then anyone can match it.
    If it's in a matchable place, SS is the only one who can match it before the CD tile goes off. At level 5, Phoenix stuns every opponent when she puts her CD tile and it goes off the very next turn. With SS, you can survive the stun and deal with that CD tile, either by matching it or using a TU.
  • notamutant
    himatako wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Sorry bit I fail to see the relation between his stun immunity and Phoenix revive tile. If it's in an unmatchable place you are screwed unless someone can blow it up, and his black takes a turn to start doing so. If it's in a matchable place then anyone can match it.
    If it's in a matchable place, SS is the only one who can match it before the CD tile goes off. At level 5, Phoenix stuns every opponent when she puts her CD tile and it goes off the very next turn. With SS, you can survive the stun and deal with that CD tile, either by matching it or using a TU.

What are you talking about? Phoenix doesn't have a stun ability. You need to go reread her skills.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:
    himatako wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

What are you talking about? Phoenix doesn't have a stun ability. You need to go reread her skills.

I think he remembered the *old* version of the green skill. At level 5, she will stun the whole team for 1 turn.

I also remembered that description of green but it has since been changed.

Here is the old description.
    eaise wrote:
    Jean Grey (Phoenix) icon_jeangrey.png
    5 Star Rarity (Epic)
    At Level 270: HP: 11196 Tile Damage: 16/120/19/137/154/54/78/4.0x

From Ashes - greentile.png Passive
    Locked in the circle of death and rebirth, the Phoenix is eternal. When Jean Grey becomes downed, create a 3-turn red Countdown Tile that revives Jean with 40% health and changes this power to Phoenix Force
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Restores 48% health
    Level 3: Creates a 2 turn Countdown tile
    Level 4: Restores 55% health
    Level 5: Creates a 1 turn Countdown tile and stuns the entire opposing team

So basically she gets to revive no matter what since your whole team is stunned while her CD is out
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah, I didn't realise that they've changed her green icon_redface.gif