In game dictionary

Natsufan01
Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
Besides just clicking on symbols, it would be helpful if there was a glossary of terms somewhere. Like flying, trample, activate, etc.

Comments

• Bumping this as I'm coming across more symbols on new cards that I'm not sure what they do.

So far I've got:

Castle - Defender
    Bowser Face - Berserker
    Wings - Flying
    Bow and Arrow - Reach (Note, why does the Scrapskin Drake need reach when it flies? Guessing that is supposed to be a Castle)
    Bursting Arrow - Haste
    Single Arrow - First Strike
    Double Arrow - Double Strike
    Eyed Shield - Vigilance

Guessing there are more but that's all I found just looking through my inventory just now.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    Clawed Foot - Trample (damage in excess of a blocker's toughness is dealt to the planeswalker)
    Snaky Head - Deathtouch (kill any creature damaged in combat, regardless of how much damage was dealt)
    Vines Under Shield - Regenerate X (creature regains X toughness each turn)
    Laurel Wreath - Renowned X (after triggered - renowned creatures get +X/+X after damaging a planeswalker)
    Cross Over Shield - Lifelink (controlling planeswalker gains health equal to the damage dealt by this creature)
  • It would even be cooler if we could tap on the symbol, and it told us the name and definition... I'm really old-school (haven't played M:tG since Homelands, so many of the mechanics/symbols are unknown to me).
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can when inspecting a card. Touching the icons should display a tool tip bubble. It doesn't display right if the card belongs to your opponent.
  • 3 rune spiral - hexproof.

Kamehameha - haste.
  • You can when inspecting a card. Touching the icons should display a tool tip bubble. It doesn't display right if the card belongs to your opponent.
    I have to try again, but I get the impression that only works if it has extra info on the card text (eg. Renown). Tried tapping on the haste icon, and got nothing... Will try again in a bit.
  • Natsufan01
    That's all well and good, but I don't want to have to rely on seeing it on a card. Especially if I have no cards with a particular ability. Have this as a totally separate file under Help or something like that. A list that shows the Name, the Symbol, and what it means in game.
  • You can when inspecting a card. Touching the icons should display a tool tip bubble. It doesn't display right if the card belongs to your opponent.
    I have to try again, but I get the impression that only works if it has extra info on the card text (eg. Renown). Tried tapping on the haste icon, and got nothing... Will try again in a bit.

Let's do a straw pole? Who is and isn't seeing this behavior. I've done this both in game and in inventory and I'm not seeing this. I'm playing on an iPhone 5c. All, please post your devices as well, in case this is a device specific bug.
  • Natsufan01
    I've never got it to work with the text, only with the abilities that have icons, so opposite of their post.

Then again, my fingers are clumsy and I think my screen protector is a bit too think, so it might just not be reading my finger right on the smaller text.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If someone wants to start a glossary/definitions thread in tips and guides, and promise to keep it updated, i will gladly sticky it. The more of these guides the better, also it can show what we want included!
  • Galadrial
    Galadrial Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Hi everybody,
    Just picked up this game a few days ago. I've heard of MTG but never seen or played it, so I feel like I'm sort of stumbling around. I know what berserker/attacker/defender are and the differences between support/creature/spell. But that's about as far as it goes. For me, a game guide or reference would be huge. Is there a help menu? If so I am unable to find it. I did get to here by way of the support button. Really love the game but I'm sort of stuck as far as what to do next.

I play on an android, leveled up Chandra since I got lucky and scored a couple red mythics, and would really like to be able to pvp against something other than the same level 45 Nissa I get matched up with every time I quick match. :)
  • Could not post a new topic, but this one is closest to what I would like to say. I think definitions of certain words and symbols on cards would be super helpful, as a previous MTG player I found that certain abilities worked a little diferently so some clarity somewhere would be appreciated. Opponent cards are also often cast so fast you can't read their abilities and it is tedious to find the multiple gems they are on to read the texts. Some abilities like renowned does not explain anthing when a tap on the word so have no idea what it does. Players who have never played MTG (or stopped playing years ago) might not know what all these abilities entail and can be overwhelmed.
  • I'll throw a couple of cents on the abilities that aren't symbolized

Reknown X: When this creature deals combat damage to the opponent, if it isn't reknowned, it gets +X/+X and becomes reknowned

Menace: This creature can't be blocked except by 2 creatures (This is what it does in the card game, there are usually not enough blockers on the board to confirm if it works the same)

Activate X [color]: At the start of the turn (Support/Creature) or when used(Spell/Loyalty), this charges up X tiles [of the specified color]. The effect triggers when you match or destroy those tiles. Creatures and Supports charge tiles back up if there are less than X of them

Activate X Y-Turn [color]: When used, this charges up X tiles [of the specified color] with a countdown timer that ticks down at the start of your turn. The effect triggers when the countdown reaches 0 or when you match/destroy it

Trap X: At the start of the turn (Support/Creature) or when used (Spell/Loyalty), this charges up X tiles. The effect triggers when the tiles are matched or destroyed by the enemy and they are invisible to the enemy (I have to do more testing on Trap tiles later because I only have one card that puts them down and it has shown up to be pretty terrible)
  • Just a note, things with Activate X only reactivate the next turn if you match them.

If the enemy matches them, they will instead reappear after 2 turns. So they have an incentive to match your activates. And indeed, the AI will prioritize matching your activation tiles.

For example say I play Disciple of the Ring. It activates 4.

On my turn, I activate 2 of them. On the opponent's turn, he activates 1.

On my next turn, I have 3 because there is 1 remaining, and it reactivates the 2 that I matched.

On the turn after that, I will have 4 again, since the one the opponent matched is finally back.

Also just as a note, the line destroys from match-4 do count as activating them.