Panda's Planeswalker overview, and brief deckbuilding tips

Comments

• It really is OP.

Free indestructible!

PS they should've made the planeswalkers closer to their cards. Ultimates should "win games" but mostly they seem really bad.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    By the by, Panda. A correction.
    Corruption never eliminates 3 cards, rather instead it eliminates the first and last card, allowing you to remove whatever had mana put into it from the turn before.
  • The one thing about Gideon is...well, you really don't have to level him past 32 really; 38 if you want to be safe and get the flying on Sharp Eyes. Giving all your creatures +3/+3 is nice, but the 4 extra mana it takes is arguable, and the first strike on the Champion ability is often redundant on many creatures in the white deck.
  • Blahahah wrote:
    By the by, Panda. A correction.
    Corruption never eliminates 3 cards, rather instead it eliminates the first and last card, allowing you to remove whatever had mana put into it from the turn before.

You're right, that was back when I was level 10 and had to guess what the abilities do.
    The one thing about Gideon is...well, you really don't have to level him past 32 really; 38 if you want to be safe and get the flying on Sharp Eyes. Giving all your creatures +3/+3 is nice, but the 4 extra mana it takes is arguable, and the first strike on the Champion ability is often redundant on many creatures in the white deck.

You don't really need him past level 7, or whenever he gains +1/+1 on his first ability. Everything else is inefficient and redundant =D
  • Having played all the planeswalkers by now. Lelianna's starting deck is the weakest by far. She really only gets good with her rares but unfortunately her supports are quite weak (with the exception of Blightcaster) since most trap cards are too narrow to be played (you can play an entire game without a trap ever going off. For 15 mana, that is inexcusable for a card)
  • Demonic pact is one of 2 or 3 solo game enders, and it is probably the best support in the game.

Which is hilarious because in MTG it is terrible and mostly used if you can donate instead. At least...I think. I haven't used it.

The other two game enders are Mizzium Meddler and Gideon + any creature with first strike.
  • I don't think I would risk Pact in multiplayer. It's mostly Nissa, and that means Conclave Naturalists.
  • Keral_Keep wrote:
    I don't think I would risk Pact in multiplayer. It's mostly Nissa, and that means Conclave Naturalists.

Yea I only used pact for a couple of storyline missions where they had stupid decks and I didn't want to deal with them. It -can- shut down Nissa same as it shuts down anything else, you just need to make sure they don't get a cascade to cast it.

Also this analysis is kinda out of date and they should use the card listing guide instead =o
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    pandabear wrote:
    Demonic pact is one of 2 or 3 solo game enders, and it is probably the best support in the game.

Which is hilarious because in MTG it is terrible and mostly used if you can donate instead. At least...I think. I haven't used it.

The other two game enders are Mizzium Meddler and Gideon + any creature with first strike.

The 20 mana blue mythic creature (Disciple of the Ring) is pretty game ending too - though she can stall out if you can't match any of her 5 activate tiles.

Funny story, I had Claustrophobia on the board and my opponent had a planeswalker ability that allowed them to Act of Treason my creatures. They act of treasoned my Disciple on an empty board which caused the Disciple to get claustrophobia'd and when the creature was returned to me it was still disabled. The opponent AoT'd my disciple like 4-5 or more times before I was able to match away Claustrophobia. Once I started the turn with my Disciple not being disabled the ENTIRE BOARD filled with activate tiles. It was quite awesome. Swung in my 42/44 Disciple to win the game. Epic. Pic below for proofs

BLDtQid.png
  • That is an amazing bug.

Yea activation tiles and support are pretty darn buggy atm.

I've had supports also disappear and yet still provide benefits, or activations disappear but still work, etc.

The treason + claustrophobia type stuff is also hilarious.
  • Anyone else love the dual mana supports?

Once you get your allied color matches to +1 these things are amazing as each walker can use one that creates both allied colors, except Chandra who has it even better with forge providing red and white.

After a couple turns on the board they often start their own cascades when they flip on my turn before I even make a move and can provide a large mana advantage.

Making less of your main color can also actually be a positive effect as well when trying to protect important supports like claustophobia, jace's sanctum or demonic pact.
  • Great thread, and I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. I had rather dismissed Iroas's Champion as too expensive, but after reading this, I swapped it in, and indeed, it is great fun! I don't have the Lieutenant yet, so I can't use that.

But do not neglect Kytheon's Irregulars. For 14 you get a 6/5 with 3 renown, so in a turn or two it may be 10/9. KI is oftern quicker than IC, because of IC being a beserker. Every time your opponent puts down a sodding caterpillar, IC has to go chasing after it, while KI lets the little attackers come to it, and wastes no time attacking the enemy planeswalker. KI may not have first strike, but Sharp Eyes can repair damage.

Also an ace card is Knightly Valor - 9 mana for what is essentially a 4/4 defender. You can often get this out quickly and then pump it up.

I find it often happens that IC is late to the party, as by the time she gets cast, the game has already been won by cheapo cards that have been pumped up by Sharp Eyes into monsters.
  • Oh yea this guide was written for new players with only uncommons.

It is a bit out of date at this point, you can check my card tier list if you want an up to date ranking of cards.

Iroas' is actually really bad in White, I agree with your assessment, and I do not use her in white.
  • pandabear wrote:
    I do not use her in white.

You do in red?
  • pandabear wrote:
    I do not use her in white.

You do in red?

Yes, because she is very good at clearing the board for red. Yes you can use your burn spells too, but the idea is that you use them in tandem with her to clear the board and keep the board clean.

That way you don't have to keep spending mana every turn to keep the scrubs out, and can sweep the game with your efficient creatures like volcanic rambler and keral keep.

Bear in mind though that I haven't played red since like a week after launch, as white and blue pull off more convincing wins.

Sometimes I get screwed on red and I admit that is likely because I didn't put much effort into that deck (along with not having many good cards for red).
  • White is almost invincible (level 8), but I find red more fun to play (level 16). Partly because the only mythic that I have is red (Avaricious Dragon) and I'm wary of putting too many high-cost cards in.
  • Hiya all.

Relatively new player here. I have to agree with Panda's view on things.

In regular magic I played mainly Black, or Blue, or a combo of the two. So of course my favored color was Lilliana. However, I am getting frustrated with her, as she cannot really compete. The creatures are very heavy, and while I can make use of some of the cards I have, her mana ramp is slow. Her abilities are also slow making battles tip in favor of dual casters, as well as creature efficient PW's.

I leveled Jace as well. There is a obvious difference in ability and efficiency.

Gideon and Chandra are very strong, and I assume they continue to gain momentum as they level. Chandra and Gideon are level 15, and my Lilliana is level 26, and they can handle story content that she is no able to manage. Especially when fighting enemies with 8 mana cost 4/4 creatures with effects. Lilliana has barely anything to compensate for removal or lockdown and for efficient creatures I am generally forced to use weaker zombies or colourless creatures.

She does have some fun spells, but generally speaking they cost much, and with her mana ramp being so low spells seem a waste over putting out creatures.

Chandra suffers none of the issues that the other colours seem to face. Jace also seems potent. Chandra has the benefit of not only being excellent at burning an opponent down, but also has similar benefit to Gideon and Nissa. However she surpasses Nissa in the spell category. Chandra's ability to cast direct damage to creatures and enemy creatures, coupled with spells like Act of Treason and very effective and efficient creatures makes her the PW of choice, or arguably the PW you need to take to compete.

Gideon has the atvantage of locking down, as well as flyers. I have won battles against enemies just by using Murder Investigation alone. Keeping my fliers flying and using them to block Menace.

Overall, Lilliana relies on a few cards. It's hard to believe that looking through her cards you need essentially 5 cards to make her more viable. These depend on drops of course. She has little flexibility and my frustration comes from exactly that. She can't do anything that others can do, and other can do everything more effectively.

Example: A few of Lilliana's powers give creatures that return to your hand, or on the battle field. Nissa has the abilitiy to draw a card (Which is usually a creature as she is creature heavy) Nissa also has a high mana ramp. Lilliana has Reave the Soul, but Gideons spells are much more efficient and effective. As are Jace's for removal. Chandra is equally powerful, if you should choose to burn creatures instead of PW's directly.

Overall review:

I am having fun with the game, and not so much fun playing Lilliana. I feel as though there are huge holes in the the balance of each walker, which is evident in the player base with Chandra, Gideon and Jace being the most played. If this was regular Magic, balance could be managed differently i guess. However in a Match 3 game, where speed is essense and damage abilities and efficiency is paramount, PW's like Lilliana suffer.
  • I am new to the game and have only played through some of the stories and mainly playing the quick battles to get to know the cards. My Lillian, who is one of my favorites, can beat just about any other player out there in quick battles at level 4 with the following lineup:

Malakir Cullblade
    Hound of the Farbogs
    Wicker Witch
    Runaway Carriage
    Reaver Drone
    Reave Soul
    infernal Scarring
    Murderer's Axe
    Caves of Koilos
    Shard of Broken Glass

I also play all the basic Plainswalkers and have developed my decks by playing the quick battles. Nissa is my least favorite and most challenging. Most likely because most players use her and have developed more advanced skills.

I can 98% of the time dominate the other players but there is inevitably one player that comes along who beats me with a rare card. Btw, I haven't sunk any money into this game. icon_e_smile.gif

I would like to add more Plainswalkers but haven't decided who else is worth adding. Any suggestions?
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    If you're looking at Planeswalkers, get Koth before he cycles out of the Vault next Thursday. He's one of the best Red planeswalkers and as a mono-colour planeswalker is cheaper to level up (80k runes vs 161k for dual-colour).

People typically strongly recommend getting Kiora when she's available cause her colour combination and abilities are the best in the game. Just make sure you have the runes to level her up when you get her.

The rest honestly will depend on your cards to see which colour you can build for. I recommend spending on a Big Box, if you haven't already, to build up your collection early on. Probably SoI since your favourite colour is Black.
  • MockStar
    MockStar Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Lilianna is getting a lot of hate but she is my favourite at the moment.

She is Level 33 and the cards i have are:

Grotesque Mutation
    Guul Draz Overseer
    Diregraff Colossus
    Accursed Witch
    Smothering Abomination
    Campaign of Vengeance
    Call the Bloodline
    Bloodbond Vampire
    Stromkirk Condemned
    Unholy Hunger

One of my favourite cards to get out is Bloodbond vampire who at 9 mana gains +1/+1 when ever you gain life. Campaign of Vengeance gives you +1 life for every attacking creature which means you can get +3/+3 every turn BEFORE attacking. Stromkirk Condemned gives vampires +1/+1 every time you discard so thats +2/+2 when you use corruption

With Call the bloodline (which gives you 1/1 Vamps with life link) and Accursed Witch giving you a +1 life per turn support when its destroyed, Bloodbond Vampire can potentially gain +4/+4 per turn and then an additonal +2/+2 when you discard... So much fun watching that.