*** Rocket and Groot (Most Wanted)***

167891012»

Comments

• wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Level 3: Can destroy enemy strike and attack tiles. Deals 38 per tile.
    Level 4: Max: 2×2 + 1 tile of any type for each greentile.pnggreentile.png , 165 damage per tile.

Is this an oversight, or does this mean that from 3 to 4 it loses the limitation on /enemy/ special tiles and can hit your own too?

I have thought of this question too and are still not very sure. However, I remember seeing enemies R&G using this attack and destroy one of its team mates', 3* Storm's attack tiles.
  • If the tiles are in the center square, they will be hit regardless of what they are, friendly or enemy.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been running them for 4/4/5 for a while and it seems to work well. You heal up enough from the yellow and green does a significant amount more at 4 than 3.

Any real reason not to keep them that way?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been running them for 4/4/5 for a while and it seems to work well. You heal up enough from the yellow and green does a significant amount more at 4 than 3.

You might as well go 3/5/5 at that point, the bump in raw damage from green is not huge but the cascade potential is much better at 5 covers.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:

You might as well go 3/5/5 at that point, the bump in raw damage from green is not huge but the cascade potential is much better at 5 covers.

Eh, I ran 3/5/5 because that's how covers fell, I went to 4/4/5 pretty quick. You lose the extra 4 tiles in the middle, but he's much more sustainable with the 4 yellow heal than 3.

I do tend to use him with either Kamala or 3Thor, who both have better greens, so that plays into the decision a bit. I stayed 4/4/5 over 5/3/5 for the times where he is my lone green outlet.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I played him at 4/4/5 for a long time (how the covers came to me). Green was nice, and I loved slamming the center and doing big damage, but the number of times his Green actually took out a special tile was virtually nil.

Once I recruited SW (5/3/5) and got her Blue up to 4 then 5... and IF up to 4/4/3 (still working on him)... that completely eliminated my use of his green anyway. And with the last PVP, I was able to get my last yellow to put R&G at 5/3/5.

SW creates a blue tile (which sometimes help when you have a blue starved board and suddenly there's a possible blue match) which generates purple, which feeds IF purple attack making your own black to build up to 12... while you wait for Groots blue tile to count down. Then all green goes to IF to kick and generate red strike tiles. When you have IF red strike tiles and R&G Blue strike tiles out there, IF Purple and his Attack tile just destroy tanks in 2 turns, and any cascades tear up the next guy.

Does wonders in DDQ final node, and does well in PVP, even when none of those characters are boosted. I like climbing with them. Even Hulk isn't as scary if you work on him first until you start placing strike tiles, then you save him for last as you build up AP while demolishing the other two, and wrap him up with a hit or two.

Fully healing is so much more helpful then healing 3/4 of the way with only 3 yellow.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I played him at 4/4/5 for a long time (how the covers came to me). Green was nice, and I loved slamming the center and doing big damage, but the number of times his Green actually took out a special tile was virtually nil.

Once I recruited SW (5/3/5) and got her Blue up to 4 then 5... and IF up to 4/4/3 (still working on him)... that completely eliminated my use of his green anyway. And with the last PVP, I was able to get my last yellow to put R&G at 5/3/5.

SW creates a blue tile (which sometimes help when you have a blue starved board and suddenly there's a possible blue match) which generates purple, which feeds IF purple attack making your own black to build up to 12... while you wait for Groots blue tile to count down. Then all green goes to IF to kick and generate red strike tiles. When you have IF red strike tiles and R&G Blue strike tiles out there, IF Purple and his Attack tile just destroy tanks in 2 turns, and any cascades tear up the next guy.

Does wonders in DDQ final node, and does well in PVP, even when none of those characters are boosted. I like climbing with them. Even Hulk isn't as scary if you work on him first until you start placing strike tiles, then you save him for last as you build up AP while demolishing the other two, and wrap him up with a hit or two.

Fully healing is so much more helpful then healing 3/4 of the way with only 3 yellow.

That was kind of my logic. His green is nice to have, but if I've got 10 green already it's not too much of a push to get some more and use a much, much better move. Like, say, Call the Storm or go further and get GSBW's green going. Meanwhile it's a rare time when I've activated their yellow and healed up to 100% from it. It would be nice in the times when there are, say, only 7 TU tiles on the board to get them back in contention again.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    OK... the covers have fallen to me for Grocket at 5/4/4. I have the green from yesterday's DDQ sitting awaiting disposition.

Is it worth upgrading the green at the expense of something else? If so, what?
  • jffdougan wrote:
    OK... the covers have fallen to me for Grocket at 5/4/4. I have the green from yesterday's DDQ sitting awaiting disposition.

Is it worth upgrading the green at the expense of something else? If so, what?
    green is good but there's better greens. His yellow and blue are his premier abilities
  • People give opinions for 3, 4 and 5 yellow and green, but the concensus is that 5 blue is the one keeper.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I switched just recently from 5/3/5 to 4/4/5 with my extra DDQ cover and have to say, meh. I want to try 3/5/5, might have to create a sandboxed account on steam to try out builds, but 3/5/5 is purely a PvP build for when R&G is featured, because he's not great as a PvP threat. While I am starting to build more for PvP over PvE, there are some characters that are just meant for PvE and some that are just mean for PvP. R&G IMO is pure PvE, and personally I've lost more PvP fights to a 5/3/5 R&G you matched yellow and was saved from death than a 3/5/5 who hit harder with green, although that green maxed does hurt, but not all that much more than an X-Force.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShionSinX wrote:
    People give opinions for 3, 4 and 5 yellow and green, but the consensus is that 5 blue is the one keeper.
    '

Yep, I can't ever see going below 5 blue. For my personal play style 4/4/5 has been the sweet spot - good (enough) healing at four yellow, not-great-but-passable green in a pinch (and less likely to blow up your own special tiles), and then that monster blue. Still, if I land another yellow cover I might well move to 5/3/5, as R&G's green is pretty far down on the list of green powers I'd like to use.
  • Minox
    Minox Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    How does Beast compare to this guy? Same colors, generates strike tiles, shakes up the board and heals.
    I ask because I have a lot more Beast covers than Grocket and want to know if I should keep him on my roster.

Beast's blue is very fast and only 1 turn countdown, but a lot more random and weak. His green can do some decent damage and shake up while his yellow isn't all that sexy.
    What are your experiences with the two?
    Thanks for the help!
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Minox wrote:
    How does Beast compare to this guy? Same colors, generates strike tiles, shakes up the board and heals.
    I ask because I have a lot more Beast covers than Grocket and want to know if I should keep him on my roster.

Beast's blue is very fast and only 1 turn countdown, but a lot more random and weak. His green can do some decent damage and shake up while his yellow isn't all that sexy.
    What are your experiences with the two?
    Thanks for the help!

They compare rather well if you ask me, Beast is a bit weaker but also faster to put out tiles. His blue tiles are random which is a problem but its so cheap you can keep using it. You'll run into the same problem that R&G has though, you run out of blue tiles after gathering blue to use their abilities. He'd pair well with Falcon or Prof X.

Beast's green damage-wise is actually better if you have a blue special tile out, it adds up to roughly 6000 (2000 x 3) since it's an AOE. The board shake-up is weaker though, won't lead to a lot of cascades like R&G can.

Yellow is trash-tier, fake healing and some protect tiles, you'll already have those out if you used his blue. It's a bad skill.

Overall he's very similar to R&G except he doesnt have true healing. He's still worth putting Iso in now though.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wasn't sure how to build my dupe. which was 553. My main is 535. After reading thru the thread, went with 355 for my dupe, after getting a blue from DDQ and another from 900 token in Sam Cap pvp. Surprised that more than half the thread was speculation before he was playable.
  • He's pretty astraight foward character, there isnt much to talk about. Blue is awesome, actually one of the best CD tiles ever, which was expected as Rocket is a genius.
  • He's (they're?) still my primary character for climbing PvP, and I use him all the time for PvE. Make sure to take him out of PvP for your last battle though, cause he's like a "hit me!" sign on defense as *all 3* of his powers actually require more than AI intelligence to use. (Chosen blue placement, save yellow matches for <25% health, wait on green till you move your strikes out of the middle, etc.) Even though I love using him, he's on my "never skip" list for PvP.

I've been going 4/4/5 for a very long time and have played him several different ways. I miss the damage of 5G, but the wide center hole would invariably kill my own blue tiles so that had to go. 5Y seems like over-kill (heal?) and I like that 4G is capable of taking out enemy CD tiles, which has saved my butt a few times.

That said, it's getting to the point where I'm seldom using his G anymore since there's such other good G choices out there. So I'm probably going to yield to the masses and change to 5/3/5.
  • Br34k
    Br34k Posts: 4
    Today's DD prize!
  • kyrain
    kyrain Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Been running Grocket, Pheonix and moonstone through The new Enemy of the State and just running things. Combining Rocket's blue tiles with the control moonstone offers and the raw output and damage soak of my (one cover) Jean I've toppled the map today.
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Luke cage, kk and Cmags can tank yellow and boosted cyclops and l thor lso spoil the 5 yellow plan.

His green is great if we have 30 greens where we get to fire it 3 times in DDQ and the board shake + damage is much valuable. So major PVE player mainly ???