Have I messed up? (Probably)

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I decided to give MTG:PQ a whirl as I enjoy MPQ and thought it would be nice to have another game to add to the grind icon_e_ugeek.gif because we all know the one thing missing from MPQ is a good grind.

I'm around half way through Chapter 2, and my opponents are now coming in at levels 33, 34. The issue I have is that I have been leveling my manapw.png's evenly (Nissa is 16 and the rest are 15) so its becoming a struggle. I'm probably winning 1 in every 5 matches now due to the hill I've made for myself.

As each character has their own strengths and weaknesses I thought it best to level them all as this would give me options, but all it has done has made the fight feel like a constant barrage of lvl 395 Juggs (sorry for the reference if you don't play MPQ).

Should I have concentrated my efforts to one character rather than spreading the love?

On a side note, I am yet to buy any card packs from the vault, I have been holding onto my manacrystal.png an anticipation of new manapw.png's. Is this the right thing to do or should I get some more cards?

Comments

• Well honestly I would just spend the mana crystals on cards, considering you spent al your runes levelling all of your characters. It would be extremely difficult to win on a regular basis with basic cards at your level. I know that's not the answer you want to hear.
  • Wooodd
    Rpills wrote:
    Well honestly I would just spend the mana crystals on cards, considering you spent al your runes levelling all of your characters. It would be extremely difficult to win on a regular basis with basic cards at your level. I know that's not the answer you want to hear.
    Thanks, I'm not really sure what answer I wanted to hear.

I haven't spent all my manarune.png I have around 2,000 but stopped leveling everyone equally until I got some input.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Chandra can win a lot at lower levels. I'd spend on packs in hopes of getting more of her good stuff to get you out of this rut.
  • Wooodd
    Chandra can win a lot at lower levels. I'd spend on packs in hopes of getting more of her good stuff to get you out of this rut.
    Yeah I like Charizard (oops, sorry wrong game), but her low HP is off-putting, particularly as at lvl 15 she has 34 against opponents who are sitting in the mid 90's.

I have 450 ish manacrystal.png and I think I will drop these on two 200 packs and see where I end up.

Going to need to focus on one character from hereon in, it's a shame really I would love to keep using a variety of characters. I'm concerned the game will go stale quickly using the same manapw.png over and over.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    The health is scary, but keep in mind there is a big health gap at the end. The last mission, chandra had 66 health and the opponent had 166 I believe. She can pack a punch.
  • void
    void Posts: 65
    I don't think you've messed up at all.

This game is much more about the quality of your cards than the level of your Planeswalker, with a good deck you could clear the whole story with Jace as soon as you unlock his second ability. If you are having fun levelling up your characters evenly you're only sacrificing your card collection. There's no real reason to force yourself to focus on only one Planeswalker unless you find one you enjoy significantly more than the others or wish to min-max your ability to stomp people on Quick Match to earn runes quickly.

Some of the Story Mode stages will be dificult but more often than not that's because you lack the tools in your deck to deal with them efficiently rather than because of your level. Or you were just unlucky and they cascaded 2 Mizzium Meddlers to the board on turn 1.

But yeah, you should definitely buy some big packs for more cards. The only reason to save crystals I can think of is waiting for them to release new cards, I hope this game never develops into a direction where new special Planeswalkers are important.
  • Wooodd wrote:
    Yeah I like Charizard (oops, sorry wrong game), but her low HP is off-putting, particularly as at lvl 15 she has 34 against opponents who are sitting in the mid 90's.

I have 450 ish manacrystal.png and I think I will drop these on two 200 packs and see where I end up.

Going to need to focus on one character from hereon in, it's a shame really I would love to keep using a variety of characters. I'm concerned the game will go stale quickly using the same manapw.png over and over.

The thing that makes Chandra so good despite her low HP is her ability to deal direct damage to creatures or the opposing Planeswalker. With her abilities and spells you can keep the board clean while you whittle away the opposing enemies massive HP.

As for the game getting stale, my suggestion is level whomever you like the best/have the best deck. Jace is my favorite Planeswalker in MTG but right now I don't have the cards to make him work. On the other hand I have a very good White deck so I leveled Gideon to the point of being competitive until the late game story. Now I am working on pulling packs and leveling my other Planeswalkers so that I can comfortably switch to any of them when I want to.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    To add one more voice, you're not lost, just made it difficult right now. Buy those card packs, see what good cards you get, and let that help choose which Planeswalker to use. I started using my Chandra after Nissa started getting beat down. Most opponents have double her health where I'm at in the story, yet I often win with taking less than 10 damage, and even no damage sometimes. The one I struggled against was the fight that had Erebos's Titan. Had to switch back to Nissa for more creature damage. Otherwise it has been smooth sailing with Chandra.
  • Buy cards if you haven't you've made this game very difficult, planes walker level is irrelevant. I cleared up to chapter 3 with my planes walkers levels 3-8. Then I dumped a bunch of runes into Gideon because Unholy Hunger killing my creatures every other turn was insane as well as to unlock his tier 3 ability but after that I was still clearing missions into chapter 3 with some of my level 3 guys. It's all about the cards (and some walker abilities make things easier) and match ups. Some walkers will be inherently better at certain battles then others.
  • Planeswalker level is very unimportant. The difference between common and rare cards is HUGE.

I beat the whole story mode with a level 20 Gideon. Chose Gideon because that's what color gave me the best deck. And the bonus with Gideon is you never take damage if you can give a flier vigilance and make it big, which is the strategy that worked for me the whole way through with maybe 2 losses total. (not to brag or anything)
  • Save your 400 and save up for 600. Much better. I saved up 600 by grinding the story and was much happier for that.