Phaserhawk's Ranking of 4* (Until Colognoisseur's updates)

Phaserhawk
Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
I don't get a lot of PM's about characters, but I have a friend with a sandboxed account so I get to play some of the guys I don't have. Here's where I find everyone. I have them in order of non-buffed, but they are truly interchangeable within that tier if they are.

TOP TIER--INTERCHANGABLE
1.)Iceman
2.) Hulkbuster
3.) Cyclops
4.) Jean Grey
5.) Red Hulk
============================
MID-TIER
============================
6.) X-Force Deadpool
7.) Carnage
8.) Thing
9.) Kingpin
10.) 4* Thor
11.) X-23
12.) Ghost Rider
13.) Professor X
=============================
LOW-TIER
14.) X-Force Wolverine
15.) Fury
16.) Ant-Man
17.) Totally Awesome Hulk
18.) Mr. Fantastic
Trash-Tier
19.) Sam Wilson Cap America
20.) Star-Lord
21.) Elektra
22.) Invisible Woman
23.) Devil Dinosaur

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and in no way should be used to do your own thang. This was more of a PvP view of characters with PvE being the tie-breaker.

Future: On paper assuming no changes, I see Miles and Venom pulling into the Mid-Tier, albeit low. The thing that saves both of them from low tier is Miles yellow and cheap skills, and venom for his yellow and hit points.

The one I see most controversy already is Ghost Rider. However, much like Punisher in 3* land he's about in the middle of everyone, he's a solid body, cheap skills and has the ability to one shot some people. He's enough of a threat that you have to watch the other teams black as it could spell certain death for you if he gets 12.

TA Hulk just doesn't quite make the grade, if his blue actually converted non blue tiles to blue charged tiles he might be worth the time, but his black skill is so hard to get off unless you are playing one of those goon boards or against Dr. Doom

Anyway that's where I see it. If you are a newer player trying to figure out where to spend HP or invest ISO in you can't go wrong with those first 13 characters.

Edit: After some comments I will add a 4th tier and clarify the others.

Top-Tier--Even when not buffed you still run them as they are an always character.

Mid-Tier--When buffed you consider them over the top tier and even run them over top tier. When not buffed you may play them but not at high level PvP but when buffed you would play them at high PvP.

Low-Tier--These are characters that need work, but you still play them over mid tier when buffed or in conjunction with a non-boosted top tier. However if boosted you probably wouldn't run them in top PvP

Trash Tier--You never run them when boosted and these guys are in serious need of rework and balance

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't see relegating Fury and XF to **** tier...
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Thx for this,been waitin for colog to update his so i can see where rulk stands.he very common at high lvl even when other 4s are boosted so i was expecting him to place quite high
  • Phaserhawk
    simonsez wrote:

Agreed they arent the worst however anyone in the low tier in my opinion needs either an ap adjustment, skill updates, or complete rework and X force and fury fall into one of those categories
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Agreed they arent the worst however anyone in the low tier in my opinion needs either an ap adjustment, skill updates, or complete rework and X force and fury fall into one of those categories
    If X-Force green was back to what it use to be then he would be solid. As is he is a one trick Pony with black. I am not saying iT isn't an awaome one trick but his green is just week now.
    With PVP Fury can do really well if (like most 4*) you play him right. Fury feels more mid tier and Xforce lower mid tier.

The other option would be to make a 4th tier for DD, Mr F, SL, and IW as a true trash tier.
  • Phaserhawk
    wymtime wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

If X-Force green was back to what it use to be then he would be solid. As is he is a one trick Pony with black. I am not saying iT isn't an awaome one trick but his green is just week now.
    With PVP Fury can do really well if (like most 4*) you play him right. Fury feels more mid tier and Xforce lower mid tier.

The other option would be to make a 4th tier for DD, Mr F, SL, and IW as a true trash tier.

You know what, that's a good idea. I'll change the ranking criteria. look for the edit update.
  • Phaserhawk
    updated the tiers.

I had to put FalCap in Trash Tier. Maybe I'm still bitter from the DDQ4* but he's just really unplayable right now. I left TA Hulk at low tier. Perhaps with a new character he could move up. Mr. Fantastic is Low-Tier, but if both he and Carnage are ever boosted together, OMG watchout, and while Iceman ruined what his blue could do, his blue is solid, just not up to snuff. Of all the trash tier, they are just a tweak away from moving up, they just need some love. Most of these characters aside from a few just need AP cost change or dmg boost to be fixed.

Examples. XForce green. Look at Cyc blue and realize it needs to return. Nick Fury purple, look at JG and see why. Also take his yellow and instead of 5 of each color make it 3
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    updated the tiers.

I had to put FalCap in Trash Tier. Maybe I'm still bitter from the DDQ4* but he's just really unplayable right now. I left TA Hulk at low tier. Perhaps with a new character he could move up. Mr. Fantastic is Low-Tier, but if both he and Carnage are ever boosted together, OMG watchout, and while Iceman ruined what his blue could do, his blue is solid, just not up to snuff. Of all the trash tier, they are just a tweak away from moving up, they just need some love. Most of these characters aside from a few just need AP cost change or dmg boost to be fixed.

Examples. XForce green. Look at Cyc blue and realize it needs to return. Nick Fury purple, look at JG and see why. Also take his yellow and instead of 5 of each color make it 3

TA Hulk is garbage tier, his black is literally unusable, blue is mediocre and green's damage was nerfed excessively (arguably worse than Xforce green). FalCap is terrible too but Mr. F is pretty decent as a PvE character. Maybe I'll get around to writing up the PvE tier guide but I've been moderately busy recently.
  • Phaserhawk
    dkffiv wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    updated the tiers.

TA Hulk is garbage tier, his black is literally unusable, blue is mediocre and green's damage was nerfed excessively (arguably worse than Xforce green). FalCap is terrible too but Mr. F is pretty decent as a PvE character. Maybe I'll get around to writing up the PvE tier guide but I've been moderately busy recently.

I'm going to give TA Hulk a pass for now until I see how he may play with Miles and Venom (Miles could be a decent pairing), but agreed he's bad as I've used him.
  • bpcontra
    bpcontra Posts: 176
    I like ant man and IW....I have no solid reasoning behind it other than I think they are fun haha
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    If X-Force green was back to what it use to be then he would be solid. As is he is a one trick Pony with black.
    But with XDP, it's a damn good trick...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it would be interesting to do a PVE perspective because I think Electra and Ant Man can really do well there. With all the 2* bullsey and Daken in PVE these 2 can really shine.

I think I am one of the few people who like Electra's red. In PVE it is easy to keep alive and her black can save the game from a brutal attack.

Ant Man with 5 in yellow can also do some damage and take out both Daken and Bullseye's special tiles.

In PVP neither are going to be main stays but for PVE I find them useful. I know IW can lock up those tiles with her blue and her green does good damage, but she like falcap is too multi color dependent to be solid
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    If X-Force green was back to what it use to be then he would be solid. As is he is a one trick Pony with black.
    But with XDP, it's a damn good trick...

Agree. I use XFW with XDP in pve, and the Xforce duo saves me a lot of health packs.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    bpcontra wrote:
    I like ant man and IW....I have no solid reasoning behind it other than I think they are fun haha

Ant Man is pretty good in most PvE fights and godly against Iron Fist / Cage. IW is garbage though.
    wymtime wrote:
    I think it would be interesting to do a PVE perspective because I think Electra and Ant Man can really do well there. With all the 2* bullsey and Daken in PVE these 2 can really shine.

I think I am one of the few people who like Electra's red. In PVE it is easy to keep alive and her black can save the game from a brutal attack.

Ant Man with 5 in yellow can also do some damage and take out both Daken and Bullseye's special tiles.

In PVP neither are going to be main stays but for PVE I find them useful. I know IW can lock up those tiles with her blue and her green does good damage, but she like falcap is too multi color dependent to be solid

Elektra would be garbage tier if not for Patch. She actually isn't very good against Daken - its hard to setup a situation to steal 3 tiles and giving him garbage strike tiles makes his blue hit harder. Her black is cool in theory but frequently all of the traps disappear from a cascade and you eat the attack anyway or she doesn't have a match available and you can't get her out front. Her red is terrible, its impossible to keep alive against Daken and its damage is extremely low. The only reason I use it is to trigger the trap condition for her purple.

As stated above Ant-Man is quite good. Ant-Man / Elektra / Patch, Ant-Man / Mr. F / Human Torch, Ant-Man / Carnage / Blade are all solid teams. Ant-Man / Gamora / Hood is decent but I think Hood tanks some colors.
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    I would like to see some consideration tof the rankings based on how well they pair with well covered 5*.

For example Iceman and Rhulk are my top 2 since they pair so well with OML. Rhulk is good in general in the 5* meta; high health, cheap abilities, passive triggers off most 5* match damage, which goes great with OML insane strike tiles, and causes cascades that frequently do 5* match damage.

On the other hand, I value IMHB less since his colors overlap with SS and OML.
  • Phaserhawk
    When 4*'s get their boost I would rank 5*'s in there. As is 5*'s have a huge advantage over all the 4*'s except maybe top tier, and even then 5*'s can just outlast you
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    God Tier

1.) Iceman
    2.) Hulkbuster
    3.) Cyclops --\
    4.) Jean Grey --/
    5.) Deadpool

Top Tier

6.) Red Hulk
    7.) Thing
    8.) Carnage
    9.) Kingpin
    10.) X-23

Mid Tier

11.) Thor
    12.) Ghost Rider
    13.) X-Force Wolverine ---\
    14.) Nick Fury
    /
    15.) Professor X

Low Tier

16.) Miles Morales
    17.) Ant Man
    18.) Totally Awesome Hulk
    19.) Mr Fantastic
    20.) Venom

"Why did I buy a slot" Tier

20.) Flaptain America
    21.) Star-Lord
    22.) Elektra
    23.) Devil Dinosaur
    24.) Invisible Woman
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mostly agree with this ranking, if talking PvP mainly, maybe I would put Carnage a little bit lower, maybe GR a bit lower too, and I think x-23 can be a bit better, If you are smart with purple and the healing can help a lot (GR and x-23 not maxed yet so I am still undecided).

I would really like to try a 5/5/3 Carnage, but my covers fell 5/3/5...

My biggest mistake was with Antman, I thought he was going to be really good, and execpt maybe with a 3/5/5 ProfX and against some Strike generator Goons he is really meh, they need to change Grow so you can cast it with purple or blue indistinctly, 18 AP of the same color is too much icon_e_sad.gif . And purple as a trap is also really a problem, it always gets overwritten, it is like one of my MPQ super powers, it never lasts more than two turns in the board.

Maybe Xforce can be ascended to mid-tier, because he plays so well with Xpool, quite good team.

Still undecided with Spidey and Venom, probably both low tier (I thought Spidey was going to be really good as fan favourite, but he seems just ok, maybe worse, more PvE than PvP).

Right now I think that the biggest problem is that even when buffed I still play the God tier 4s, iso is a problem for maxing all of them, but even if I had all of them at the same level, God tier is so good that I would just use the other 4s for climbing, but never above 900-1000. I use some more 4s for PvE but I think the level of quality in the 4 space is not very good in general, as a whole. Maybe it is just a wrong impression, but I think there was more variety/possibilities for team composition in the 3 space... ( probably because there are more icon_razz.gif )
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    I mostly agree with this ranking, if talking PvP mainly, maybe I would put Carnage a little bit lower, maybe GR a bit lower too, and I think x-23 can be a bit better, If you are smart with purple and the healing can help a lot (GR and x-23 not maxed yet so I am still undecided).

I would really like to try a 5/5/3 Carnage, but my covers fell 5/3/5...

I would disagree, PvP centric Carnage should be a touch higher. He's horrific for climbing (unless you empty your tacos for health packs first), but he's quite efficient for hopping, because his red has excellent damage/AP. I also like 5/3/5, because even if the damage is inconsistent, the extra 6 tiles of board shake is quite helpful.

When it comes to PvP, I think of "do I see them when they're not boosted and the player has a choice" which in my experience reduces the top PvP tier to IMHB, Jean, and RHulk, with Iceman/Carnage/XDP/4Thor occasionally thrown in (like this week where 4Thor-LCap is something I've been seeing a bunch).
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Totally forgot I needed to update this.

I'll get that done in the next few days.
    I agree with you on the top-tier 5. Those are where anyone should be concentrating their efforts in 4*-land.

I do disagree on Totally (not) Awesome Hulk I think he is hands down the worst 4* There is nothing he does which you would put him on your team ahead of any other 4*. My advice if you get those covers sell them and put the iso into another 4*.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Am i the only person alive that actually likes star lord?seriously a 535 sl with a 355 cyc and switch can destroy a lot of good teams and most important of all is fun to play with.i think a lotta ppl think meh about certain characters without taking the time to find ones that fit