**** Venom (Eddie Brock) ****

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't wait for the essential node that puts you up against Daken, Blade, and Patch.

So deny purple and smash them with his suddenly cheap green? I'm not seeing this as being anywhere close to his worst case scenario.
  • Eddiemon
    JVReal wrote:
    It feels like like a 5/0/5 build until you can save up 5 black covers to go from 0-5 instantly and make him 3/5/5. Except you only have 14 days to go from 0-5 or you've hosed yourself with his passive.

You know if you're running this Venom, the AI will always have a Storm TU...

A Storm TU makes his green destroy a third of the board for 7 AP. you're looking at close to 4k damage from base ability and tile destruction and then any bonus damage and AP refunds from cascades.
  • Honestly I don't think this character is all that bad. In 4 star land how many characters do you have to worry about with attack tiles? I mean isn't it just carnage and ghost rider? Sure it's going to suck against a few characters but not a lot of characters have attack tiles.

I know I'm going to get him. He's been on my wishlist since I first started playing. A non 1* venom.

If it were strike tiles that would be a different story but since they are attack tiles, just chose your battles wisely.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclopes wrote:
    Honestly I don't think this character is all that bad. In 4 star land how many characters do you have to worry about with attack tiles? I mean isn't it just carnage and ghost rider? Sure it's going to suck against a few characters but not a lot of characters have attack tiles.
    There's still a lot of fists out there. And if not, Jean will make attack tiles too. There's just no reason to use a character that has one good ability, one awful one, and one that hurts more than it helps.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 685 Critical Contributor
    Eddiemon wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    It feels like like a 5/0/5 build until you can save up 5 black covers to go from 0-5 instantly and make him 3/5/5. Except you only have 14 days to go from 0-5 or you've hosed yourself with his passive.

You know if you're running this Venom, the AI will always have a Storm TU...

A Storm TU makes his green destroy a third of the board for 7 AP. you're looking at close to 4k damage from base ability and tile destruction and then any bonus damage and AP refunds from cascades.

If you get damage from tile destruction (which you should) then one casting of Storm's black will give you around 1312 extra damage before cascades (assuming the tile damage you get from a power is based on the character's stats and not the whole team's -- I haven't tested this). The power goes to around 619 damage/AP.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eddiemon wrote:

It is enemy tiles not your own, so you can't use your own TU to create the scenario that you suggest.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Cthulhu wrote:
    Symbiotic Fury - 13 greentile.png AP
    Venom crashes through the battlefield, human rage fueling their alien power. Deals 110 damage, then destroys a random tile for each enemy special tile on the board (does not generate AP). Costs 1 less for each enemy special tile (min cost 7).

Give and Take - Passive blacktile.png
    (PASSIVE) Venom's symbiote powers allow them to stalk their prey, but make Venom vulnerable to fire and sonics. Enemy Protect tiles’ strength are reduced by 15% and enemy Attack tiles’ strength are increased by 50%.

Lethal Protector - 9 yellowtile.png AP
    Venom lets their twisted sense of justice guide them, brutally lashing out while believing they’re protecting the innocent. Deals 1032 damage and creates 2 strength 27 Yellow enemy Protect tiles.

Definitely super-situational, but I think we can put down the torches and rakes. Teamed with Carnage, or against Cmags/MHStorm/special spammers, Symbiotic Fury's pretty cool. With enough weak specials, it's a super-effective Unstoppable Crash for 7 AP, which is awesome. It works best with attack tile floods and understandably his black balances that out. What I'm afraid of is that this will often end up as moderate damage and no board shake for 13 AP (ugh). So you really only want to pull him up when you KNOW your enemy is dropping a good amount of specials.

Assuming it counts Cosmic tiles, Venom is going to brutalize Galactus on rounds 4+, which I can wholeheartedly support.

As for Give and Take, I think everyone's looking too hard at rank 1 (which is terrible). Again, he's situational, it's a bit dangerous to use him against a strong attack-tile user. But those characters are all in the 3* tier anyways, and +25% at rank 3 isn't so bad. 10% at rank 5 is a great tradeoff for the benefit; not giving a tinykitty about Thing or FalCap's protect tiles, cutting them by 75%, and a reasonable tradeoff against a runaway Jean or Xavier's random tiles.

Finally, lethal protector is OK. It's something to do with yellow. The damage isn't great, but for 9 AP, ok. The enemy protects are nice fluff that synergize with his other powers. It'd be nicer if it also created a weak enemy attack tile, because then you could match away IF's without it coming back and close up his biggest character-specific vulnerability.

TL:DR; It's going to be incredibly fun to blow up half the friggin' board after an enemy Hailstorm. As awesome as that is, his green isn't good against more vanilla opponents with few specials. He's probably a lot stronger against high-4* tier opponents than powered-up 3*'s. Definitely pick your battles... not for everyday use.

Also: His tile damage has a typo, right? He's only got two strong colors listed.
  • Eddiemon
    Crowl wrote:
    Eddiemon wrote:

It is enemy tiles not your own, so you can't use your own TU to create the scenario that you suggest.

When you cut the post I responded to that complained that "the AI will always have a Storm TU" then yes, completely isolated and out of context my post looks like I don't understand the power.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Green and yellow are amazing, but black is kind lack luster, unless you gives are giving a change to protect tittles wich are pretty much the hardest type of title to put to use.

Honestly, protect tittles need a buff, they usually reduce the match damage to 1 per hit, but do nothing agaist ability wich are the most important part of the game.
  • ArcanaMoon wrote:
    Green and yellow are amazing, but black is kind lack luster, unless you gives are giving a change to protect tittles wich are pretty much the hardest type of title to put to use.

Honestly, protect tittles need a buff, they usually reduce the match damage to 1 per hit, but do nothing agaist ability wich are the most important part of the game.
    it would be more interesting if the trade off part was more useful take more damage from match damage( or substitute countdown tiles)25% for a reduction to all other damage types against him by a %. it could even be based on how many special tiles the enemy has each contribution a % with a max of 5 instances. lvl 1 adds 5% each instance, 2 adds 6%.....5 adds 10% this way one skill increases the other 2 skills. With covers 4 and 5 reducing the negative consequence by 5 % each.

that way you need to protect the enemy protect tiles to protect yourself more icon_mrgreen.gif
    i would make his green target only basic tiles, or lower the cost to 9 always and consume the special tiles for extra damage to the nuke sacrificing the protection for more ko potential.
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Instead of decreasing enemy Protect tile strength, he should increase friendly Strike tile strength.

Similar effect, and could even give him a place in 5* fights like Rhulk.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Mmm... If he becomes viable, I'm gonna sick ant man on him.
    Everyone knows ants are better than spiders.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Mmm... If he becomes viable, I'm gonna sick ant man on him.
    Everyone knows ants are better than spiders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimAnt

This game would like to have a word with you about that assessment.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 685 Critical Contributor
    Regarding that passive: Removable covers can't come soon enough.
  • To be fair, you don't need to bring him to every fight, so the penalty for having his black covered is easy to be avoided. Just don't freaking bring him to fight attack tile enemies.

For Odin's sake, yeah we all know it's a bad downside but the good part of it is very handy so just choose wisely when to bring him in. Not against Carnage, not against Antman, not against Blade, not against IF...

Realistically, don't bring him ever but if you absolutely must (or want) bring him vs LCap, Falcap, Falcon, Thing, Cage..
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    OJSP wrote:
    This is a good point. I'd add CMags to the list, as I think his Coercive Field has the highest annoyance factor, due to its low cost.

Also, thematically, it's quite appropriate that it weakens Spider Sense. But, it's saying something, if they actually designed him as an option to counter 3* Spidey.

Like Lisa Simpson, he's the answer to the question nobody asked icon_lol.gif
  • I still don't think this attack tile increase is as bad as people think. Jean grey can create attack tiles. Fair, don't bring him against her. But I would venture to say dont bother fighting her with most characters.

I think people are underating this character because of that attack tile mechanic. But I don't understand this game enough. I just play for fun. I'm barely even close to having 2 lvl 168 4*. But of all the 3* I have I play a lot of them. I mean, almost every maxed character. Only groot gets neglected right now.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    Wow. This is one of the worst, most uninspired characters that has been released since 3 star Bullseye. Yellow and Green are basically the same damn generic attack move, and he has a passive that makes things worse for you, arguably even when you have 5 covers, and then you really don't have a choice to not get 5 covers of it, taking two away from one of the other attacks! What were you thinking?!?

Seriously, my version is superior (stealth complain/spam post). I hereby give you the permission and rights to use it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31403
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The really bad part is that the black is complete garbage at 1 cover. The 50% drop from 1 to 2 means you almost want to go from x/0/x to x/2/x immediately, which good luck timing that unless that's the alliance cover for his PvE

Here's hoping Carnage is boosted for his PvP.
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Its a shame that he wasn't released before the current Luke Cage pvp as he seems like the best counter for Cage's ridiculous defense tile. As a matter of fact that may be his only real use besides neutering over-scaled 2* Bullseye in pve.