Best There is Bracket. Am I missing something?

Options
I my good fortune I appear to have ended up in a weak bracket and am currently in second with 503 points. Took a look at the guy ahead of me and am either amazed at how good at this game he must be or how wickedly he is cheating. His top three characters are

Astonishing Wolvie 2/4/3 lvl 53
Orig Widow lvl 3/5/5 lvl 40
Punisher 2/1/1 lvl 30

How do you manage to grind out even 500 points with that lineup? Am I really just that bad being right behind him with my 85 Thor, 65 Wolvie, 65 Spidey?

Comments

• Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    500 points in a low MMR bracket isnt THAT hard to get. anything above that though can start to become hell.
    This just goes to highlight the need to remove the persistent MMR all together and have the MMR reset after each tourney.
    Sure the low and mid players will have a rougher time to start but within a day things should shake themselves out well enough.
  • Even if his roster is weaker than yours, that doesnt mean much. He haves a different MMR than you, and he meets different oponents to fight against.
  • Weaker players gets matched up with weaker players.

Also, Wolverine 2* teams tend to defend extremely poorly, so as long as you're attacking faster than you're being attacked (MMR would probably help here), there's nothing weird about a 53/40/30 team beating say a 85/85/85 Wolverine 2* team. On offense, your Wolverine is buffed enough to be able to quickly pick off enemy support characters (like OBW). At the same time, it's not hard to defend the red, especially with OBW's purple, and the enemy Wolverine 2* is fairly harmless until he hits 12r. Even if he does, your Wolverine can probably take it.

You need Patch to have any chance at defending, though Patch is a time bomb waiting to happen in general. I had far smoother wins with Wolverine 2* than Patch, though Patch wins games much faster when things are right (and things get realy ugly when things are not).
  • Phantron wrote:
    Weaker players gets matched up with weaker players.

Also, Wolverine 2* teams tend to defend extremely poorly, so as long as you're attacking faster than you're being attacked (MMR would probably help here), there's nothing weird about a 53/40/30 team beating say a 85/85/85 Wolverine 2* team. On offense, your Wolverine is buffed enough to be able to quickly pick off enemy support characters (like OBW). At the same time, it's not hard to defend the red, especially with OBW's purple, and the enemy Wolverine 2* is fairly harmless until he hits 12r. Even if he does, your Wolverine can probably take it.

You need Patch to have any chance at defending, though Patch is a time bomb waiting to happen in general. I had far smoother wins with Wolverine 2* than Patch, though Patch wins games much faster when things are right (and things get realy ugly when things are not).

i dunno I happen to love my Patch on offense. usually start off by picking off their OBW/Spidey, then Nuke their other character (usually a tank of some sort like Thor or Hulk) then use a turn or two to finish off their wolvie of choice
  • Thanks for the info. Was not aware of MMR being across tourneys (or of existing at all). I thought it was purely matchmaking on your current points in that tourney. Makes more sense.
  • melon_head wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Was not aware of MMR being across tourneys (or of existing at all). I thought it was purely matchmaking on your current points in that tourney. Makes more sense.

That's why people used to 'tank their MMR' in lightning rounds they weren't interested in so they could have an easier go of it in other tourneys.
  • Something must have changed with the matching because the weirdest thing is happening in my bracket. I went straight for the 500 point award (50HP) and then I just left since I don't have much fun with PvP lately. At some point I checked and I was 6th with 476 points. I go out for a few hours and I return to find myself 2nd with 476. icon_eek.gif During that time I haven't shielded and I had 0 attacks and retaliations.

With a total of 30 minutes spent in this tournament, if I end up being in top 5 or even top 45 this will be hilarious, although I think in the final hours it will be a massacre.
  • I got to 500pt mark with 60 Patch/6 Bag-Man/6 obw, so that team doesn't seem that unreasonable.
  • I think the recent changes greatly reduced aggression in general. People appear to be actually afraid to attack regularly.