*Venom* Update

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited December 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
Hi everyone,

Here's word from Demiurge on a change going live today for 1-Star Venom:

Quote:
"Hey all,

We got some worrying feedback that with the inclusion of Miles Morales to the game, 1-Star Venom could start holding his own against 4-Star characters. Miles creates enough Web tiles that Venom's Devour, which instantly downs a character if there are enough Web tiles, could fire pretty regularly.

Changes have been made to avoid this problem. (Changes are in R90+, CL 321089) :
• Venom now deals 2,000 Damage instead of downing a character if there are enough Web tiles on the board from Character Levels 1 to 40
• At level 41 this damage will start to scale up
• The number of tiles required to deal this damage has increased from 6 to 8."

Comments

• cactusrob
    cactusrob Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Can't help but feel this was really, really obvious.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    Not necessary. He was useless in PVP even before this. Now he's Yelena tier. This also makes 4* Bags and Star-Lord slightly worse.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hands up who was hoping this meant they had realised just how bad the passive was on the new Venom? icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does this mean Venom might get a 3rd power? He's already borderline useless, this takes away his only use he had to this point.
  • Will there be a sell back bonus like with other nerfs? He was my only 1* for the daily deadpool, and then the occasional combo during 3* Spider-Man events. If he's now completely useless, I'll build up another.
  • HeyoJayo wrote:
    Will there be a sell back bonus like with other nerfs? He was my only 1* for the daily deadpool, and then the occasional combo during 3* Spider-Man events. If he's now completely useless, I'll build up another.

What'd be the sellback rate for a 1*? 50 spideycoin.png ?

I remember jumping on a ton of sellbacks given the chance. But Venom may be too numerous to make a sellback worthwhile.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey I kind of like the idea of a 1* holding his own against a 4*.
  • So my question is "have you actually played Venom before and after the change to his Engulf power?" Let me first say that I think any character should have the ability to use their bonus power on their own without the help of other characters. Even if that use is hard to pull off it should be possible. Prior to Venom's Engulf power being 8 web tiles it was impossible to use. The requirement of keeping it 6 tiles on the board is an extremely fragile board state. If you actually play and try to do this it is almost impossible to keep that many web tiles on the board without them getting destroyed or matched. Then came the new low level Spiderman who could deploy web tiles fast enough that once in a while, maybe once per game you could use venoms and Gulf Power could deploy web tiles fast enough that once in a while, maybe once per game you could use Venoms Engulf power. Also keep in mind the circumstances where you could pair of the two of them together were very narrow and while you could certainly Engulf a much more powerful character you certainly couldn't survive very long because your life total was still very low compared to higher level characters. So again, he was in no way broken at the 6 web tile requirement. He simply didn't suck horribly and still required a good pairing to be effective. His purple power is useless to power his own Engulf power because it's far too slow to generate and keep that many web tiles on the board. Now I understand I can sell him now for a slight bonus but honestly I was using him only for daily dead pool and having fun pairing him with Spider-Man. He's only interesting if you pair him. I'm also much less interested in Spider-Man without Venom. Where I had applauded the change to a state where character pairings were encouraged I now feel you've broken anything interesting about those characters. Who cares if Spider-Man can put a bunch of web tiles on the board of Venom can't use them? I don't at least. I realize my use of Venom may be narrow and I'm not familiar with this Miles character. I can't imagine he does a better job of laying out Web Tiles than the level one Spider-Man. Another way to put it is "Engulf" was the only interesting thing about Venom. Without even the chance of that he's very "meh".