Deathtouch when 0 power

Options
Queso
Queso Posts: 11
My opponent has Fetid Imp which was activated, so it gained Deathtouch and Reach until end of his next turn.
I use Jace's Confusion ability to reduce his power to 0, then my creature attacks.
The Fetid Imp blocks, which I expect, but then still kills my creature, which I don't expect.

Is what currently occurs in game happening by design, or is this a bug?

In MtG the card game, the creature has to deal damage for the Deathtouch trigger to take effect. If the creature has 0 power, Deathtouch becomes irrelevant.

Comments

• carlito666
    Options
    But this is not the card game icon_e_wink.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is based on the card game, though. If you're going to borrow the mechanic, don't diverge in ways that are easy to code into the game.
  • I agree that this is a bug and should not happen.

Deathtouch (should) require it to do combat damage to the target in order to trigger.

Have any of you tried with Gideon's shroud (prevent all damage) or Iroas's Champion (first strike, should not trigger damage)? Death touch should not trigger in either of the scenarios (given that Iroas can kill it with one hit, requires 10 power right?)
  • carlito666
    Options
    It is based on the card game, though. If you're going to borrow the mechanic, don't diverge in ways that are easy to code into the game.

Than the goblin piledriver should not get "berserker"!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    carlito666 wrote:
    Than the goblin piledriver should not get "berserker"!
    I think he'd be much improved if he didn't.
  • Queso
    Queso Posts: 11
    Options
    Queso wrote:
    Is what currently occurs in game happening by design, or is this a bug?
    carlito666 wrote:
    But this is not the card game icon_e_wink.gif

I didn't say it was necessarily a bug. I merely asked if this was working as intended, as it differed from my expectations, which are informed by the TCG.

I fully recognize that there is not a 1:1 correlation in all things between the TCG and PQ. Unfortunately, I don't have any cards that have the Deathtouch keyword in them so I can't read what the exact description of what the keyword means in this game.

Unless you're playing Calvinball, games lose some appeal when the rules aren't clear.