Colognoisseur's Ranking of 4* Updated: 10/19

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    fmftint wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I also see Ghost Rider a great pick when boosted for that black.
    GR black will do the same damage @70 as 350 since it's based off of damage the enemy has done

I meant the character being boosted, is the only time I would use him, and even then only because of the black. But yes it works the same at any level.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    1.) Iceman
    2.) Jean Grey
    3.) Hulkbuster
    4.) Cyclops
    5.) X-Force Deadpool
    6.) Professor X
    7.) Thing
    8.) Kingpin
    9.) 4* Thor
    10.) Carnage
    11.) Sam Wilson Cap America
    12.) Fury
    13.) X-Force Wolverine
    14.) Ant-Man
    15.) Elektra
    16.) Mr. Fantastic
    17.) Star-Lord
    18.) Invisible Woman
    19.) Devil Dinosaur

We need a summary of edits/dates/new characters, to see when/how things have changed.

Haven't checked in here for awhile. Thought to myself: hey! I have 13 KP covers now! I should come here and see if he's worth leveling!

And....I guess I start to hoard ISO and hope for more Cyc/IceMan/DP covers. When I get 13 of any of them I'll check back here and they'll probably be ranked 8th....
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Haven't checked in here for awhile. Thought to myself: hey! I have 13 KP covers now! I should come here and see if he's worth leveling!

And....I guess I start to hoard ISO and hope for more Cyc/IceMan/DP covers. When I get 13 of any of them I'll check back here and they'll probably be ranked 8th....
    did nearly the same thing - my kp hit 13 this week (but still need 1 more black) and remember colog ranking him very high one time. so I cam here to see he had dropped to 8th. I don't have a good partner for him yet though (need either thor blue or carnage black for that - all other options have good ability overlaps)
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    KP, SW, 3* Thor has been one of my go-to teams for a while. You basically get an un-ending loop of damage in which either you chain SW passive into KP purpleflag.png -> thor yellowflag.png -> thor greenflag.png, or you use the countdown to fuel KP blackflag.png.

Not the toppest of top tier teams, but makes quick work of just about any pve node.
  • 1.) Iceman
    2.) Jean Grey
    3.) Hulkbuster
    4.) Cyclops
    5.) X-Force Deadpool
    6.) Professor X
    7.) Thing
    8.) Kingpin
    9.) 4* Thor
    10.) Carnage
    11.) Sam Wilson Cap America
    12.) Fury
    13.) X-Force Wolverine
    14.) Ant-Man
    15.) Elektra
    16.) Mr. Fantastic
    17.) Star-Lord
    18.) Invisible Woman
    19.) Devil Dinosaur

IW is being very underestimated in your list. She is very good to face average level 5 * besides being excellent to hide characters with low Health: Hood; IF; HT, among others.

Could divide characters by levels:

1° If it was whale:
    Ice/HB/RH/CYC/JG
    2° Top 4*:
    KP/TG/XFDP/Thora/PX
    3° Middle layer:
    XFW/FU/IW/EL/CA
    4°Bottom of the barrel:
    AM/FalCap/RR/SL/DD

X-23 e Ghost Rider I have not yet formed an opinion. X-23 should be in the middle layer and Ghost Rider is probably between the middle and the bottom of the barrel. I do not like Carnage because of the high degree of damage done in his team but for his red 7AP should consider.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:

We need a summary of edits/dates/new characters, to see when/how things have changed.

I'm considering making a PvE focused 4* ranking with an in depth strategy guide for each character but here's my list without explanation.

Characters with * I have not played enough and is thus speculation on where I think they fit. This list is reflective of their PvE value since many characters are not viable in PvP.

1. Thor (4hor)
    2. Jean Grey
    3. Professor X
    4. Iron Man (Hulkbuster)
    5. Iceman
    6. *Cyclops
    7. Deadpool
    8. Nick Fury
    9. Kingpin
    10. *Red Hulk
    11. Ant-Man
    12. *Ghost Rider
    13. Wolverine
    14. *X-23
    15. The Thing
    16. Mr. Fantastic
    17. Elektra
    18. Carnage
    19. *Sam Wilson
    20. *The Hulk (Totally Awesome)
    21. Devil Dinosaur
    22. Star-Lord
    23. Invisible Woman
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    I'm considering making a PvE focused 4* ranking with an in depth strategy guide for each character but here's my list without explanation.
    Can you at least explain how PX wouldn't be #1?

And I don't mean to overcomplicate things, but I think this list changes a lot depending upon whether you're talking goon nodes or not. For example, JG is great for clearing CDs, but I'd never use her on a node with stuff like a high level juggs and ares. Doing 3k damage at a time to 22k-25k health enemies, seems like a really bad plan.

And yeah, Wolverine by himself would rank pretty poorly, but if I am using GT or XDP, he's the one I'd want to bring along.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:

Characters with * I have not played enough and is thus speculation on where I think they fit. This list is reflective of their PvE value since many characters are not viable in PvP.

1. Thor (4hor)
    2. Jean Grey
    3. Professor X
    4. Iron Man (Hulkbuster)
    5. Iceman
    6. *Cyclops
    7. Deadpool
    8. Nick Fury
    9. Kingpin
    10. *Red Hulk
    11. Ant-Man
    12. *Ghost Rider
    13. Wolverine
    14. *X-23
    15. The Thing
    16. Mr. Fantastic
    17. Elektra
    18. Carnage
    19. *Sam Wilson
    21. Devil Dinosaur
    22. Star-Lord
    23. Invisible Woman

Wow, I guess you were looking for a fight icon_razz.gificon_e_wink.gif

In what universe Thor is better than iceman?!?!?! Just iceman blue is better than all Thor's powers combined!!! He can do for 12 blue what she needs 19AP, doing more damage, and we have not considered his green yet icon_razz.gif. And then, IMHB or ProfX or all the other top5? Thor is much better in PvE than PvP, that is true, but the only type of game were she excels is in survivor nodes, were she has a lot of time to build a board full of charged tiles, stunning everybody, etc. She is quite similar to Captain America in that regard, with enough time she is very very good, but she needs a lot of time (I still think she needs a little buf to her blue and a big buff to her yellow).

I would not put ProfX first just because of essential nodes, but if he is mot first he is definitely second. The problem is that ProfX needs both GSBW and SW, if you can use just one of them then the match can end in complete disaster (if the AI matches all purple or there are not enough purples, etc), the initial board becomes so much important then, but for nodes were you can use 3 members he is the best. You just need 4-5 turns to get to 11 purple and that's it, you have won. I have won teams of 395lvl enemies without almost suffering any damage at all!

So probably best 3 members team for PvE ProfX, GSBW, Sw and best 2 member team IMHB+iceman, or IMHB+JG depending who are the enemies (possibly cyclops+RH can work too, but my rh is not maxed yet so I cant say for sure). This as a general rule, because PvE is much more varied in enemy composition than PvP, so A LOT of other teams are possible (I play a lot Xforce+Xpool+cylops for fun).
  • Polares wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

1. Thor (4hor)
    2. Jean Grey
    3. Professor X
    4. Iron Man (Hulkbuster)
    5. Iceman
    6. *Cyclops
    7. Deadpool
    8. Nick Fury
    9. Kingpin
    10. *Red Hulk
    11. Ant-Man
    12. *Ghost Rider
    13. Wolverine
    14. *X-23
    15. The Thing
    16. Mr. Fantastic
    17. Elektra
    18. Carnage
    19. *Sam Wilson
    21. Devil Dinosaur
    22. Star-Lord
    23. Invisible Woman

Wow, I guess you were looking for a fight icon_razz.gificon_e_wink.gif

In what universe Thor is better than iceman?!?!?! Just iceman blue is better than all Thor's powers combined!!! He can do for 12 blue what she needs 19AP, doing more damage, and we have not considered his green yet icon_razz.gif. And then, IMHB or ProfX or all the other top5? Thor is much better in PvE than PvP, that is true, but the only type of game were she excels is in survivor nodes, were she has a lot of time to build a board full of charged tiles, stunning everybody, etc. She is quite similar to Captain America in that regard, with enough time she is very very good, but she needs a lot of time (I still think she needs a little buf to her blue and a big buff to her yellow).

I would not put ProfX first just because of essential nodes, but if he is mot first he is definitely second. The problem is that ProfX needs both GSBW and SW, if you can use just one of them then the match can end in complete disaster (if the AI matches all purple or there are not enough purples, etc), the initial board becomes so much important then, but for nodes were you can use 3 members he is the best. You just need 4-5 turns to get to 11 purple and that's it, you have won. I have won teams of 395lvl enemies without almost suffering any damage at all!

So probably best 3 members team for PvE ProfX, GSBW, Sw and best 2 member team IMHB+iceman, or IMHB+JG depending who are the enemies (possibly cyclops+RH can work too, but my rh is not maxed yet so I cant say for sure). This as a general rule, because PvE is much more varied in enemy composition than PvP, so A LOT of other teams are possible (I play a lot Xforce+Xpool+cylops for fun).
    Dk doesn't use prof x for winfinate. Also, pair lady Thor with 3* storm and she goes a lot faster.
  • Polares

Dk doesn't use prof x for winfinate. Also, pair lady Thor with 3* storm and she goes a lot faster.

If anybody doesn't use profx for wininite in PvE then he is doing something wrong icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dunamis101
    Dunamis101 Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Lady thor needs to have at least 8 charged tiles, and I also agree that her yellow needs a big buff as well. 7 charged tiles would even be good for her blue if it was one ap less. The main thing that keeps her at the level of what a 4* should be is her health. I still think shes top 10 though.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    And I don't mean to overcomplicate things, but I think this list changes a lot depending upon whether you're talking goon nodes or not. For example, JG is great for clearing CDs, but I'd never use her on a node with stuff like a high level juggs and ares. Doing 3k damage at a time to 22k-25k health enemies, seems like a really bad plan.

I'm just in 4* transition land (highest is 210), but I did have a comment here. I use JG on villain nodes, with Cyclops and Witch. With his yellow generating purple (I know, this doesn't work if he's over level 221 unless witch is buffed), they are just a machine of death as Jean fires every three or four turns. Have had it work fine with jugs up to 22k hp (haven't tried higher).

An alliance-mate has a somewhat different approach to using her in villain nodes. Thing, Witch, and Jean, with Thing serving as security blanket.

But for sure Jean and witch can reliably clear 395 goon nodes with any third.
  • simonsez
    Jean fires every three or four turns. Have had it work fine with jugs up to 22k hp (haven't tried higher).
    Let's see... if it does fire every 4 turns, that's 24 turns until juggs is gone. That's an awfully long time for Juggs to be collecting red and Ares to be collecting green. Winnable, but not grindable.
  • Polares
    simonsez wrote:
    Jean fires every three or four turns. Have had it work fine with jugs up to 22k hp (haven't tried higher).
    Let's see... if it does fire every 4 turns, that's 24 turns until juggs is gone. That's an awfully long time for Juggs to be collecting red and Ares to be collecting green. Winnable, but not grindable.

Well it is more 4k than 3k, and you are doing that damage to ALL the other team, not just to one, we have to kill all the team, not just one guy, so you should consider that she does 12k damage not just 4k. Then you will probably fire green, and then you will add some nice special tiles. And she is very good stopping those fantastic cascades Juggs has when using green. Also quite good clearing those Bullseye shields or Ares yellow tile, etc, etc.

I think you are not judging her as a whole. Probably now Iceman is better, but she is still a very good partner for IMHB.

I use her a lot with IMHB in essential nodes and those nodes (150-250 lvl usually) are very grindable with this team (my iceman is close to being usable so probably he will enter the team soon). Yes for 300+ lvl enemies I usually use the ProfX+GSBW+SW (it is slow, but safer more grindable), but I don't know if there is another team that can kill those over scaled 300+ level monster without suffering a lot of damage... What team do you use against those?
  • simonsez
    Polares wrote:
    I think you are not judging her as a whole.
    I am. For me, she's too slow (even with accelerators) to grind these mega-health opponents. You need something that will get you looping turns asap (like PX and friends), otherwise you're going to need healthpacks even if you clear it. You mentioned lv150-250... I'm talking lv350-395. Best not to get me started on a scaling rant. Maybe one day the devs will let everyone play the same game.
  • dkffiv
    Polares wrote:

If anybody doesn't use profx for wininite in PvE then he is doing something wrong icon_e_wink.gif

If you don't recognize my name you don't PvE seriously. I don't find winfinite to be reliable enough on 6x grinds on 200+ essentials and 300-395 hard nodes - no one on the team can take a hit and it is possible for Daken/Ares/Jugg to get a move off before the ball gets rolling. I am consistently a top 1 finisher and I almost never need additional health packs (outside of the rare PvP end time conflicts).
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    I am. For me, she's too slow (even with accelerators) to grind these mega-health opponents. You need something that will get you looping turns asap (like PX and friends), otherwise you're going to need healthpacks even if you clear it. You mentioned lv150-250... I'm talking lv350-395. Best not to get me started on a scaling rant. Maybe one day the devs will let everyone play the same game.

On 2x goon + villain fights JG is not bad. JG/SW/4hor is very effective, auto-cascade or poorly placed arcane incantation CD tiles can help you gather enough blue to lock down the target for your next AI to go off. I do agree that on her own JG is too slow, I really dislike using Jeanbuster in PvP but there isn't much of a choice.
  • Polares
    dkffiv wrote:
    Polares wrote:

If you don't recognize my name you don't PvE seriously. I don't find winfinite to be reliable enough on 6x grinds on 200+ essentials and 300-395 hard nodes - no one on the team can take a hit and it is possible for Daken/Ares/Jugg to get a move off before the ball gets rolling. I am consistently a top 1 finisher and I almost never need additional health packs (outside of the rare PvP end time conflicts).

Wow I didn't know there were celebrities in Marvel Puzzle Quest! icon_razz.gif

So you think they are unreliable? Yes you can have really bad luck, and dont get to 11 purple in time and that will result in 3 deaths, that is true, but most of the time, like 90% of the times, you can clear those nodes without problems, suffering just match damage for 4-5 turns. I am talking normal and hard nodes, not essential ProfX needs both GSBW and SW.

Just out of curisosity, which is the team you are using that lets you win against these 300-395 teams without needing to use health packs after a couple of fights, and suffering less damage than 5 turns of match damage?

simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:

I was talking essential nodes, I doubt you have 350-395 enemies in essential nodes, but I guess that with scaling in this game everything is possible. For the other nodes, which I usually I end in the 320-350 range, I usually use ProfX team.

But yeah, scaling is crazy, I agree (this is why I soft cap at 255, before 5s 240).
  • simonsez
    dkffiv wrote:
    If you don't recognize my name you don't PvE seriously.
    Damn, ****'s gettin' real...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy_DASt7hDs
  • dkffiv
    Polares wrote:
    Just out of curisosity, which is the team you are using that lets you win against these 300-395 teams without needing to use health packs after a couple of fights, and suffering less damage than 5 turns of match damage?

Professor X + 2 rotating garbage characters can be used on most hard nodes (PX doesn't do well against board shakers like Jugg so I generally use a different team there). If the 2 garbage characters die I don't revive them and PX is usually pretty healthy if I can get him invisible quickly. I find 1 kit every few matches or 1 kit on a bad board / wipe more appealing than hoping RNG doesn't cost me 3 kits. Mr. Fantastic / Black Panther / Doc Oc / Gamora / Magneto / Psylocke / Quicksilver / She-Hulk / Squirrel Girl / The Punisher / Vision / Daredevil / Beast / Captain Marvel / Ragnarok / Colossus / 2* Daken / 2* Thor / 2* Wolverine all see regular play thanks to PX.
    Polares wrote:
    I was talking essential nodes, I doubt you have 350-395 enemies in essential nodes, but I guess that with scaling in this game everything is possible. For the other nodes, which I usually I end in the 320-350 range, I usually use ProfX team.

But yeah, scaling is crazy, I agree (this is why I soft cap at 255, before 5s 240).

Essentials generally cap around 250 but sometimes upwards of 300 in certain events. Before the last patch essentials were starting a 395 with 3x max level 5* (on a sandbox account of course), since then I think its back to the 200-300 range.
  • simonsez
    Colog, after giving the Venom/Carnage duo a test drive in PvP, how would you assess them as a duo, and were you satisfied that the black passive wasn't enough of a liability to warrant a 5/0/5 build?