Don't understand the creature attacking

Why do my creatures sometimes attack the opponent's creatures or attack the opponent head on. (This happens while there are enemy creatures being played).

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    I'm not sure if I'm answering your question but who attacks who sometimes comes down to abilities they have.

Default: Creatures always attack the Planeswalker unless another card, ability, support, game condition says otherwise.

Defender: A creature with defender will always block incoming attacks, defending the Planeswalker.

Berserker: A creature with Berserker will always attack the defending Planeswalker's creature in their #1 slot (bottom slot on screen).

Flying: A creature with flying is considered to be above the battlefield and can fly over grounded creatures to attack the Planeswalker. So, if there is a grounded creature with defender and the attacker is flying, the attacjerfliesover the defender to attack the Planeswalker.

Reach: Reach allows a grounded character to block a flyer. In this game I believe a creature would need both Reach and Defender in order to block a flyer. Or, if a flying creature had Berserk, and a defending creature had either Reach or Flying, it is possible the flying berserker would attack either on if those characters, depending on which on is closest to the #1 slot. I could be wrong on this one though.

I hope some of that helped.
  • Thanks madsalad. That helped a lot.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    madsalad wrote:
    In this game I believe a creature would need both Reach and Defender in order to block a flyer.
    In MtGPQ reach creatures also have defender.