Interface needs a overhaul

Hi guys!

I'm testing the game now and so far, I like the premise. However, the interface needs an overhaul.
1) Too much stuff and it's slow.
2) Please add an option not to display the cards or speed the card display.
3) Ease the options, even though it's nice and all, on a mobile... too much clutter. Keep it simple please.

More to come as I keep testing the game.

Comments

• definitely.. its really quite confusing and lacks responsiveness when required (deck building is super painful)

Also the descriptions of abilities are sorely lacking. I've got no idea what "Mind Sculpt" actually does...!?!
  • I know it might not mean much but the game is considerably faster and smoother than it was prior to this patch. After playing MPQ from the early days I can only imagine this game will get better.
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    This was the first thing I said to my buddy after playing a few matches. The UI is clunky and things are not obvious. Needs a big overhaul down the line.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    One suggestion for me, make sure ability descriptions display on screen. I tried to see exactly what Vigilance does in game (obviously I know what it does in the card game) but the first card I encountered with it was an opponent's card. When I press on the symbol, it displays to the right of the card, which is off-screen on the opponents side.
  • Also *really* need to see what units are affected by what "support" (enchantments) spells and WHO OWNS WHICH support's in play...
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    senectus wrote:
    Also *really* need to see what units are affected by what "support" (enchantments) spells and WHO OWNS WHICH support's in play...

Regarding who owns what support in play: there is the "tiniest of tiny" arrow indicators on support gems. Right on the number counter at the top left/right of that number counter there is a TINY white arrow pointing left or right. It is pointing to who owns that support gem.

I'm a little disappointed that items like this were not addressed during the tutorial, or at least have a link to an FAQ document on this forum.
  • OrionKannan
    OrionKannan Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    madsalad wrote:
    senectus wrote:
    Also *really* need to see what units are affected by what "support" (enchantments) spells and WHO OWNS WHICH support's in play...

Regarding who owns what support in play: there is the "tiniest of tiny" arrow indicators on support gems. Right on the number counter at the top left/right of that number counter there is a TINY white arrow pointing left or right. It is pointing to who owns that support gem.

I'm a little disappointed that items like this were not addressed during the tutorial, or at least have a link to an FAQ document on this forum.

RE: Who Owns - the side that the countdown is on is on the same side as the owner of the enchantment.
  • senectus wrote:
    definitely.. its really quite confusing and lacks responsiveness when required (deck building is super painful)

Also the descriptions of abilities are sorely lacking. I've got no idea what "Mind Sculpt" actually does...!?!

Deck Building has been painful. I click on cards a bunch times before it actually pulls it up so I can see what it does. I have this issue in other places (having to touch it multiple times before it registers) but deck building is definitely the one I notice it the most.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd like to see the navigational elements (close, back, etc.) get some highlights. Too often I want to dismiss something or go back a panel and have to hunt for the little X or arrow. Those elements should be set off from the rest of the interface in some manner.
  • I'd like to see the navigational elements (close, back, etc.) get some highlights. Too often I want to dismiss something or go back a panel and have to hunt for the little X or arrow. Those elements should be set off from the rest of the interface in some manner.

Have to agree with BlackSheep101 here, also going from submenus to main menu needs to be refined.
  • DrDoMe
    DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
    This UI is really in bad shape!

Consistency
    Sometimes you go back with a big cancel button, sometimes a tiny x in the upper right, sometimes the android back button works as expected, sometimes it takes you to the 'hub'. In some interfaces, tapping outside the card closes it (combat) and in others, that does nothing (deck builder).

Scaling
    This was clearly designed for a small screen. I'm playing on an 8-inch screen and everything is huge, but the UI still insists on zooming in before I can interact with a card. My screen would easily allow my hand to be open all combat long without restricting my view of the board, except everything is scaled way up for a tiny screen.

Deck Builder
    A deck is ten different cards from a larger set, adding or removing them should be a check box or swipe away. It shouldn't require a zoom, a button, and a confirmation message. The confirmation is especially baffling. I can plainly see it deselected. I don't need you to also tell me.

What I'd like to see is a horizontal scroll of cards in my deck on a top row, then a longer horizontal scroll of available cards below it, then a drag and drop transition from one to the other. A ribbon on the bottom for filters and one on top for card totals and done/cancel buttons would be all that's needed. Or you could flip everything I just described vertically to keep the action buttons on the bottom as they are everywhere else in the app.

But honestly, I'm sure you can solve this problem. Deck building with so few choices should be really easy to manage.
  • I have to agree with what is being said here, and add a few extra points...

Scaling:
    - I have an LG G3, 5.5" display, and everything is soooooo big... And yet the touch response seems off. In MPQ, everything seems to be adapted to the screen you're using (even if it's adding those ugly blue bars on the sides), but it seems that isn't happening here. Like DrDoMe said, it clearly looks like it's designed for small screens, and it just scales it bigger, which makes it look clunky and clumsy. And it sometimes takes a few taps to get something done, may it be for precision, or for lack of response. This happens on the main screen(s), and while playing.

Navigation:
    - Besides what DrDoMe said about consistency (using an X, back button on the phone, etc), it also lacks consistency as to where buttons take you, if they do anything at all (back button).
    - There doesn't seem to be a "back to main" option after each match, or in some other places. I might be biased by other games, but the mechanic should always be "hit back until you reach the main page/menu/start, hit back once more to quit".

Deck management:
    - I don't even know where to begin... As mentioned earlier, selecting/discarding deck cards should be handled by tap-to-tick and tap-to-untick (if the deck is already at full capacity, have an error message?).

Planeswalkers management:
    - Each time you go to the section, it shows a random planeswalker, instead of the active one. There should also be a way to choose which one is the active one, not just "show it in front, go back to the main menu, and hope it stays as active for the match"
    - It seems that it uses up all your silver to skill up a Planeswalker if you do so at the Planeswalkers page, but elsewhere you can just press and it'll spend them until you stop pressing. Also, skilling up should be easier, since right now at an excessively fast rate, if you ask me.

Matchmaking:
    - Haven't tried p2p battles yet, but when playing story, there's no direct way to choose the planeswalker to use. You just choose the level, hit play, and start the match. There should also be quicklinks to deck management, IMHO. Which takes me to...

Matches:
    - Once again, consistency - when you tap your Planeswalker, you exit using the X, you slide to see your hand, and you press the card to stop seeing it.
    - Ironically, while everything is scaled up to big sizes, the small card type icons for your hand are terribly small - and can't be tapped to disable like you do when looking at your hand.
    - Card draw/play animations seem too slow. Same with the "thinking" time for the AI when matching.

And I guess I'll continue finding stuff as I play more, but for now, that's what I feel needs fixing the most...
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matchmaking:
    - Haven't tried p2p battles yet, but when playing story, there's no direct way to choose the planeswalker to use. You just choose the level, hit play, and start the match.
    If you touch the little picture of the planeswalker to the left of the Play button, you can switch to a different character right from the story mode screen. Only figured that out by accident.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    agreed the menu buttons on the main page are extremely hard to tap, on my phone (note 5) you have to actually click the icons not the text which is very counter intuitive and difficult.