Roster feedback - For better PVP results

mrflopwelligan
mrflopwelligan Posts: 125
edited December 2015 in Roster and Level Help
Thanks in advance. After taking a few months off, I've decided to get back at MPQ. Specifically, PVP. My prior strategy has been leveling characters up in groups to 127, then 140, then 150, and finally 166. I will usually see who I'm using in PVP and having success with as well as who's buffed and the take those characters and move them up from 127 to 140 or 150 depending on my ISO availability.

I'm looking to do better in PVP and understand that you need a variety of core characters in all colors, so based on that - whom should I level up next or prioritize?

Most of my 3*s are fully covered - however, they are covered with covers that I have been able to get, not necessary their optimal configuration.

Currently, my PVP strategy has been this:
1. Join a slice ending at 11 pm or 12:00 EST, before a slice starts for the seed teams (often I can get 200 puts of the seed teams.)
2. When the seed opens (or the following morning) start my first push. I can usually get 300-400 pts. with most of the time that being closer to 400.
3. Push again 12 hours later (usually morning). I usually get hit for 50-100 points. I can usually gain back lost points plus an additional 50-100 pts.
4. Push again 12 hours later (night). You get the idea.

When it's all said and done, I can usually hit 700-800 pts. - but not keep it. Mainly because I've not tried. I used the last half of last season and this current season to see just how high I could get without trying to keep that. Besides, It's really that 1000 pt. reward I need more than anything.

A few notes:
1. Following other strategies posted, I only hit teams worth more than 38 pts. More often than not, I'll keep skipping (and paying) until I find some in the 40 range. If I can't find any, I wait and try later.
2. I don't shield. I realize that means there is a wall I will inevitably hit, but I don't really want to drop money on the game with the exception for roster slots.
3. This post isn't necessary about PVP help, as much as it is about getting feedback from long timers on who to upgrade, but, hey, if you have the time..... icon_e_smile.gif
4. Should I be doing better than the results I've listed? Or is that pretty normal for someone who does not shield?

Link to the roster is in my sig. And thanks so much!

Comments

• Sorry, completely missed the 'Roster and Level Help' Forum (stupid bookmarks). Could a moderator please move this to that forum?

Apologies.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a free 2 play user in the 4* transition and my strategy is very similar. Most of the time, I'm just using a team of maxed 3*s or level 120/140 if I haven't maxed them yet.

I start the event with roughly 12-24 hrs left and do the seed teams and a little climb to 400-500. Then I let it float overnight and you may be hit one or twice, but as you said, you can normally make up for it in the next climb easily enough. I try to aim for 850+ before I put up a shield. Obviously, the closer you are to 1k the better but once you go above 800, you're now an easy target in the sea of 4* teams. Therefore you have to shield before you drop back down to 800. Why 850? Because that leaves you with 2-3 fights to reach 1k. With 2 shields (3-8 or 8-3 or 8-8 depending on how much time in left in the event), that should give you 2 hops plus the ability to break shield in the last 5 minutes of the event. This is when you will skip throughout the day to queue up 70+ targets. You don't really want to be doing multiple fights each hop, so stay safe and only do 1. Remember to use boosts to speed up and improve your chances of beating these 4* teams. Use those super whales if you have to (perhaps on the last fight to reach 1k). The key here is the values of your queue. With luck, two fights is enough to go from 850+ to 1k. Also when the stars align and your boosted 3* team has great synergy, you can do 2 fights per hop which gives you the opportunity to reach 1.3k.

I know you said you don't spend HPs on shields but rather save them for roster slots. However, with only 2 shields per event, you're not really losing out that much overall. You get back 100-150HP depending on your placement as well as your alliance. The shortfall can easily be made up with pve, daily resupplies and through tacos.

Trying to do 1k without shields with 3* is very tough. Especially, if you climb early when there are no targets. Even though the break even point is 37, I don't normally bother with anyone less than 50.

Lastly, when you do queue up those 70+ targets, don't hit them right away. The high scorers (vets) don't like being sniped and you may be in for brutal retaliation from their alliances. Try and check their shield status if you can, or wait 7 mins or so as that is usually how long their hop lasts.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Pongie wrote:
    I know you said you don't spend HPs on shields but rather save them for roster slots. However, with only 2 shields per event, you're not really losing out that much overall. You get back 100-150HP depending on your placement as well as your alliance. The shortfall can easily be made up with pve, daily resupplies and through tacos.

Trying to do 1k without shields with 3* is very tough. Especially, if you climb early when there are no targets. Even though the break even point is 37, I don't normally bother with anyone less than 50.

I will echo this. When I was trying to hit 1K with just 3*s, I never could make it without using at least 2 shields.

If you do a little work in the PVE events to hit T50, that 50HP also goes a long way to help supplement shield/roster funding. Along with a good alliance is a big boost.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    General consensus is that fist, cyke, SWitch, and cage are among the top 3*s for PvP purposes. You already have some characters at 166 so you might as well max out these guys when you can.

For mainly these reasons:
    Fist: black feeder and attack tile
    cage: protect tile helps save health packs when climbing
    SWitch: cd tile creates good purple for fist and others, aoe dmg and stunning
    cyke: DAMAGE WOW

I'm part way into my 3* transition and I get by fine with only six 2* characters and Juggs for 1*, so perhaps you could trim a few 2*s for extra roster space. This would also mean a bit more ISO floating around and means you can save some HP to do pvp shielding if that floats your boat.