Jean Grey (Nerf)[Rumor Mill]

It is true that Jean Grey will have a nerf? I was thinking of putting Iso her, but after I heard this news I can change my mind.

IMO: Classic Jean Grey 4*
Jean Grey teen 3*

Jean Grey teen can not control his powers. Also, I do not remember any character worthy to be 4 * or 5 * without being adult.

Obs.: If you already have a topic talking about of this can transfer it. I have not seen anything yet talking about this subject.

Mod Edit: added to thread title for accuracy

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    first i've heard of it.. they haven't nerfed anyone in a long while, and there are 4*s out there stronger than her now...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where did you hear this news?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I think he read it here:
    WWN.png
  • simonsez wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I think he read it here:
    WWN.png

icon_lol.gif

I read the people commenting that Jean Grey is being widely used in pvp and his purple could have a nerf. I wanted to confirm this, but the comments show just be rumor.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only thing I would do with her is flip the green dmg with the purple and vice/versa.

They seem to be preferring counter characters rather than nerfing. Look at Ghost Rider, his black is a massive counter to any AoE character, too bad it's not cheaper, Deadpool is another counter to her, cheap purple to block her purple if she was primary, and his passive is great against any of her AoE.

Not to mention since 4* buffing is on the horizon, I don't think they are going to touch many of them until then.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Why would she? She's less annoying then iceman.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Bishop wrote:

Depends on who you're using. Fistbuster tears through Iceman but can't attack Jean without having a 1* widow stun TU
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    The only thing I would do with her is flip the green dmg with the purple and vice/versa.

They seem to be preferring counter characters rather than nerfing. Look at Ghost Rider, his black is a massive counter to any AoE character, too bad it's not cheaper, Deadpool is another counter to her, cheap purple to block her purple if she was primary, and his passive is great against any of her AoE.

Not to mention since 4* buffing is on the horizon, I don't think they are going to touch many of them until then.

I agree. Rulk deals with green users nicely. Against Jean she is basically a blue or purple user. And blue isn't that hard to get around.

Iceman is pretty much stun-finite.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    eaise wrote:
    Bishop wrote:

Depends on who you're using. Fistbuster tears through Iceman but can't attack Jean without having a 1* widow stun TU
    I take down Jeanbusters with Fistbuster all the time. You just need to be careful and fire Iron Fist of K'un-L'un at the right time then the chance of a match-5 is low.
  • If JG hasn't been nerfed by now, I can't imagine she will in the future. If anything, I feel her damage to be lacking compared to how much HP some of these guys have these days. I still run Jean Buster, but doing almost 4k to the whole team usually isn't winning me the game (its HB smacking them for 10k+ icon_e_smile.gif )
  • vinicius18 wrote:
    Jean Grey teen can not control his powers. Also, I do not remember any character worthy to be 4 * or 5 * without being adult

Jean Grey's a dude??? icon_e_surprised.gif

The current game version of Iceman isn't an adult. Likewise X-23; i don't think she's an adult adult either. Ditto for Amadeus Cho

As he said in the statement: Your adult versions are 4 *, Ice man, Jean Grey, X-23 (genius). Hulk cho is quite clever too. Hulk cho maybe it could be because there is not his adult version, to my knowledge.

It is quite plausible to remember that are no longer produced 3*: both teen Jean Grey, Hulk Cho, Ice man and X-23. They are all in that category.

Also the game advertises the characters and therefore does not accurately treat the characters as they are in comic books. Never a teen version of these three characters is better than their classic versions.

Moreover, except Phoenix, the other three are not categorized as 5*. 5 * are: Abraxas; Eternity; Beyonder; Dr. Strange (more powerful mystical version); Dormmamu; Living Tribunal; The One Above All; Thanoseid among others.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    vinicius18 wrote:
    Also, I do not remember any character worthy to be 4 * or 5 * without being adult.

Franklin Richards

If he were ever added into the game, nothing less than a 4* would fit this 8 year old kid
  • Blahahah wrote:
    vinicius18 wrote:
    Also, I do not remember any character worthy to be 4 * or 5 * without being adult.

Franklin Richards

If he were ever added into the game, nothing less than a 4* would fit this 8 year old kid

Is true it. The son of Reed Richards is sinister. However, the same reasoning applies to Cho. Unless your adult version is a 5 *, it will probably be a 3 *. If your teen / kid version is better than the adult's because the guy lacks intelligence, this is not the case with Franklin, and / or retired. One teen / kid with 10-30 year-old added can not be worse. You gain more experience, skills, among other factors.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I feel that Jean Grey is pretty over-rated. She should be high in her rankings, but she is definitely not top 3 anymore.

I think a lot of folks use her because they feel safe with her anti-bad luck blue. On defense her blue makes her annoying to fight with someone using IF or SW, 2 characters who are typically at the center of most combos, so there is a fear built up against her.

She only has AOEs, purple being great and green being good, but like all AOEs they take awhile to build making her very susceptible to being denied. I hope the 4* DDQ featuring her showed folks she isn't that good when there are 1-2 enemies left too.

Jean's AOE compared to 3*s (not buffed, buffed their values are much higher)

AP/Damage Ratio Chart for Area Attacks

#1 -- icon_quicksilver.png Quicksilver ---- 6468

Jean Grey Purple (1146)

#2 -- icon_sentry.png Sentry
    #3 -- icon_blackpanther.png Black Panther - 927
    #4 -- icon_deadpool.png Deadpool
    #5 -- icon_kamalakhan.png Kamala

Jean Grey Green (846)

#6 -- icon_vision.png Vision
    #7 -- icon_thor.png Thor
    #8 -- icon_blackwidow.png Black Widow -- 617
    #9 -- icon_colossus_new.png Colossus
    #10 - icon_shehulk.png She-Hulk
    #11 - icon_ragnarok.png Ragnarok
    #12 - icon_scarletwitch.png Scarlet Witch - 471
    #13 - icon_ironman.png Iron Man
    #13 - icon_beast.png Beast
    #14 - icon_punisher.png Punisher
    #15 - icon_gamora.pngGamora
    #16 - icon_doctoroctopus.png Doc Oc
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who would you consider the current 4* top 3, then? Iceman, Cyclops, Hulkbuster?
  • I think that's the only chart ever where Quicksilver will feature in first place.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    Dauthi wrote:

She only has AOEs, purple being great and green being good, but like all AOEs they take awhile to build making her very susceptible to being denied. I hope the 4* DDQ featuring her showed folks she isn't that good when there are 1-2 enemies left too.

10 ap purple as easy to deny? I disagree... 10 ap is hard to deny. Especially if you have to deny other colors too (e.g. In jeanbuster you have to deny primarily purple, black and to some degree red and green)

Whether Jg is top 3 is debatable, but I think she is definitely top 5. She is very good because she is easy to use in both pve and pvp. The aoe is both her strength and her weakness; add in some big strike tiles, and her aoe would have triple dip into it. The aoe dmg goes to waste when the enemy is alone.. But hey her purple removes special tiles (almost all types) and her green generate random special tiles.

There is one reason why jeanbuster is one of the most popular shield hop team. Its (almost) rainbow team and they are fast, and as a defence team it slows the opponent down a little (playing around match 5).
  • Dauthi wrote:
    AP/Damage Ratio Chart for Area Attacks

#1 -- icon_quicksilver.png Quicksilver ---- 6468

Jean Grey Purple (1146)

#2 -- icon_sentry.png Sentry
    #3 -- icon_blackpanther.png Black Panther - 927
    #4 -- icon_deadpool.png Deadpool
    #5 -- icon_kamalakhan.png Kamala

Jean Grey Green (846)

#6 -- icon_vision.png Vision
    #7 -- icon_thor.png Thor

So if I'm reading that right, her first AoE is stronger than any 3* AoE *and clears special tiles*, and her second is literally 1 hp less than top 5, and adds tiles...
    and you're considering her overrated? Where do her AoE's compare with the other 4*s? Are those just raw dmg? Oh and her blue is an AoE with multiple effects that also slows down AP generation and boardshake up for the other team? Sure I'll take Iceman over her, and we can throw 5*s into the equation, but short of that, who's really more effective? I mean you do also have to factor in fear - the more people hesitant to fight you, the better that character is for you (why Carnage IMO never gets enough credit).
    - Unreall
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    I feel that Jean Grey is pretty over-rated.
    The problem with your chart is that you're not considering that Sentry and BP have very negative side effects associated with theirs, and Jean has very positive side effects associated with both of hers. Plus, she has two, so the chances of getting screwed by a bad board are far less than all these other characters whose eggs are all in one basket. That's why she's good. There's not one great aspect to her, but rather she does a lot of things really, really well.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    I feel that Jean Grey is pretty over-rated.
    The problem with your chart is that you're not considering that Sentry and BP have very negative side effects associated with theirs, and Jean has very positive side effects associated with both of hers. Plus, she has two, so the chances of getting screwed by a bad board are far less than all these other characters whose eggs are all in one basket. That's why she's good. There's not one great aspect to her, but rather she does a lot of things really, really well.

That is definitely something to be considered, but we should all keep in mind when those 3*s are buffed she drops down that chart hard. So, if we compare them at equal levels things change pretty drastically. For instance, Rage of the Panther goes to a whopping 1313 from 927 and Embiggened Bash goes from 847 to 1201, and consider Kamala can fund her own greens. Pretty crazy.
    atomzed wrote:

10 ap purple as easy to deny? I disagree... 10 ap is hard to deny. Especially if you have to deny other colors too (e.g. In jeanbuster you have to deny primarily purple, black and to some degree red and green)

Whether Jg is top 3 is debatable, but I think she is definitely top 5. She is very good because she is easy to use in both pve and pvp. The aoe is both her strength and her weakness; add in some big strike tiles, and her aoe would have triple dip into it. The aoe dmg goes to waste when the enemy is alone.. But hey her purple removes special tiles (almost all types) and her green generate random special tiles.

There is one reason why jeanbuster is one of the most popular shield hop team. Its (almost) rainbow team and they are fast, and as a defence team it slows the opponent down a little (playing around match 5).

Her only two skills are 10 ap and 12 ap, I would definitely say that is easy to deny compared to lots of 4*s. I do agree part of it is she also makes a good rainbow with Hulkbuster while still carrying her own weight. Also, she does have some of the best art in the game.
    Well technically you need at least 5 blue matches (or looking at it another way, more than 12 Blue AP) to use Quickie's AoE...

Not true if the opposing team has a Quicksilver too. I would say he is one of the best characters in the game when he is mirror matched icon_e_wink.gif His blue is not going to happen often, but when it does it is good AOE for free.