**** Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) **** Updated (8/22/17)

Comments

• IceIX wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    Can we get a list of heroes and villains?
    I suppose I could gin one up, but it's pretty cut and dry so I'm not sure it's really necessary to list every single character. The only ones that I can think of that are problematic are Black Widow (Original) being a Villain when the rest of her are Heroes, and Red Hulk being labelled a Villain, as this version is pre-Thunderbolts leader.

Edit: Added one to the OP.

Is Juggernaut a hero or a villan now? I just got back into reading comics (I stopped way back in 1991) and where I am now he's member of The X-Men. Also, what about Magneto, he's kind of good now too? Come to think of it, what about Mystique? Electra is leading The Hand and is bad, right? And Ares, what's he? He's listed as Dark Avenger, but he's currently (for me) a Mighty Avenger, so I'm guessing he's good.
    Thanks for any answers, but please just say good or bad and don't include any spoilers as to what may be the reason. I've got a lot of catching up to do and have tried my best to stay in the dark on all I've missed.
    BTW, just finished Civil War and am now in the middle of WWH. There's a whole lot of smashing going on right now! I love the Marvel Unlimited app on iPad (when it's working well, at least.)

Thanks again

What they are now isn't super relevant to this choice. What they are in the timeline of the game is what the list is based off of. (Like, since most of the story still takes place during Dark Reign, the Dark Avengers as a whole are "Villians")

Gets a little trickier with some of the other characters, but Mystique in one of the Heroics and in Meet Rocket & Groot is p. clearly a villian, Original Black Widow is based off her original form, where she was a villain (I guess?), but she's not in her Modern or Grey Suit forms, and Red Hulk is based on his Pre-THunderbolts days, so marked as a Villain even if he was much less of one later.

So it's more "Are they villains in Marvel Puzzle Quest's story"? then "Are they villains in the comics right now."
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    He seems alright... greenflag.png and redflag.png seem to be his best skills(zomg the black!) They are cheap and generate attack tiles which are a pain in the **** to remove. His blackflag.png isnt bad but it only effects 1 person, not the team and only reflects that persons damage(spiderman why you do no damage to me!). On defense he is significantly better because of the amount of damage he could inflict before you beat him, but on O he just moves so slow and his black would be nearly useless most of the time. Overall Id consider him top tier 3*. Great in PvE and Pvp defense. Meh as a 4* on O.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like Ghost Rider, so I am doubly disappointed that the conversation revolves around whether he's any good or not.

First, he's very popular and one of the most visually striking characters in the Marvel Universe. I mean, he's a frickin' skeleton with a burning skull on a motorcycle. It's criminal to make him less than bad-****! I can deal with Elektra and Star-Lord being less-than-overwhelming because at the end of the day, they're just regular people in extraordinary circumstances (more or less). Ghost Rider is the damn Spirit of Vengeance! For f***'s sake!

Second, and more importantly, because as a 4* character he should be really awesome out of the gate. I have said it time and again and will continue to do so until something changes: It is utterly unacceptable for characters that require such lengths to build and develop to be anything less than head-and-shoulders better than 3* characters. Looking at Ghost Rider and setting aside the larger health pool, I'd rather have Iron Fist or Cyclops on board. That should not be a reasonable thought when it takes roughly 3-5 times less effort to get them covered and leveled.
  • ScrawL
    ScrawL Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I have mixed feelings on ghost rider. At first he doesn’t look like he can do much damage until you get to penance stare, which can potentially be the most damaging move in the game depending on how much damage you have taken. So for that power alone I will have to have him, the other powers though, seem very low power for a four star.
  • I'm sure it won't, but if black was available as a team-up.........
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know everyone is super into his black but he's kinda looking underwhelming.
    In the same tier of character you have someone who can freeze for 6 AP for 4 turns.
    Along with another friend who can hit for 10K. GR has 15K HP. and isn't immune to stuns.
    Defensively he's not very good, 12 ap isn't fast compared to some of the crazier combos in the 4 star tier.

All he seems good for is aiming at someone above your tier who all things considered can just slap you back even harder if you're worth the points.

PVE wise at least, he'll smack overscaled juggernauts back (at the cost of a health pack next node) but yeah, not feeling him.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    OJSP wrote:
    I just had a strange thought.. what if I bring Invisible Woman to fight him.. just a one-on-one scenario..

Gather yellowtile.png , turn Invisible.. Gather greentile.png (denying his AoE attack) , gather bluetile.png .. lock special tiles, or adjacent tiles.. Force Field Crush.. win.. ?

Looks like we know who his DDQ 4-star match will be against.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    Having played him in the loaner node in Meet Rocket & Groot, I now understand a bit more how his powers work. His Penance Stare is great against Juggernaut! (and The Hood..)
    Looks like we know who his DDQ 4-star match will be against.
    It wouldn't be too bad if it's her.. the AI rarely locks our special tiles and if we get green before her, her blue would only lock random tiles..

Yeah the loaner node helps making a final decision about him (even though black is just at 3). As I said before, he is good, just barely good, better than the low tier 4, but not close to the high tier. I guess, with 4s as powerful as the holy 5 (IMHB, iceman, JG, RH and Cyclops) it is really hard for all the rest. Even some 4s like Xpool or Kingping that are quite good can't compare to those... (At least ProfX is still very good with GSBW and SW).

PS: I have the feeling that the new Hulk is going to be very good.
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I know most discussion has centered around abilities, but after getting a chance to use Ghostrider in the Rocket & Groot event, I wanted to complement Demiurge on just how awesome and fun his animations are!! Seriously, I would want him just for their entertainment value alone. I think these have to be my favorite in the game so far. Really nice job, devs!! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    dan54321 wrote:
    I know most discussion has centered around abilities, but after getting a chance to use Ghostrider in the Rocket & Groot event, I wanted to complement Demiurge on just how awesome and fun his animations are!! Seriously, I would want him just for their entertainment value alone. I think these have to be my favorite in the game so far. Really nice job, devs!! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Agreed - the sound effects, too!! He may not end up being top-tier, but they captured the flavor of Ghost Rider amazingly well.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love the artwork, and the sound effects for blackflag.png and redflag.png are good, but when I heard the sound for his greenflag.png it reminded me of a little "crotch rocket" bike rather than the heavy one he appears to drive. Maybe it's just the speaker on my phone?
  • Polares
    The animations are really nice! A pitty we won't see them too often icon_razz.gif
  • Eec411
    Eec411 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    When does Ghost Rider become available in Heroic/Legendary tokens?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eec411 wrote:
    Most likely at the start of season XXII.
  • Polares
    Quebbster wrote:
    Eec411 wrote:
    Most likely at the start of season XXII.

It would be nice if they changed this, new chars should be added right away after their PvP. I get that they want to sell more covers but having to wait with a bunch of tokens for 10-12 days until new chars become available to maximize your chances of not pulling something you already have is not cool.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    Does anyone know when he will be available for recruitment from Legendary Tokens? I see he is not in the pool for the moment, and I'm keeping my token and command points for a chance to get his covers. Have they said anything on this regard? Shouldn't he be in the pool by now?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Does anyone know when he will be available for recruitment from Legendary Tokens? I see he is not in the pool for the moment, and I'm keeping my token and command points for a chance to get his covers. Have they said anything on this regard? Shouldn't he be in the pool by now?
    They typically add the new releases all at once at the start of the next season. So Ghost Rider and Totally Awesome Hulk should be added at the start of season XXII.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since each of his powers is almost worthless if not at 5 covers, I think final composition will depend on whom do you plan to play him with and which powers in which colours they'll bring. Put 3 covers on the colour of a better power that you'll be bringing.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Since each of his powers is almost worthless if not at 5 covers, I think final composition will depend on whom do you plan to play him with and which powers in which colours they'll bring. Put 3 covers on the colour of a better power that you'll be bringing.
    That's true for green and red but his black is perfectly serviceable at 3 covers in most conditions. Jean Grey hits you for a 4,000 AOE and you hit her back for 12,000 damage. That's all you need; 24,000 would be a tad overkill.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    That's true for green and red but his black is perfectly serviceable at 3 covers in most conditions. Jean Grey hits you for a 4,000 AOE and you hit her back for 12,000 damage. That's all you need; 24,000 would be a tad overkill.

Fair enough. I just realised that Penance Stare is the perfect TU power. It's all you want from a TU, when you are on your last ropes and desperately need something to overturn the tables.