Character Rankings Poll - November, 2015

Options
XandorXerxes
XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ Character Discussion
http://goo.gl/forms/0cwhMoix7J

I figured it's been 6 months, why not throw a new poll together. I asked the survey-taker to submit a ranking 1-10 for each character. Questions are not required - if you don't feel like you have the knowledge to rank a character, don't submit a number. The first page is general information about the survey-taker. This is mostly to satisfy my own curiosity, but I'm interested in comparing how different-rostered people see each character.

If this isn't the way the poll has been done in the past or you feel strongly that it should be done a different way, let me know. Also, if something needs editing or doesn't work, let me know that too.

Comments

• 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    Options
    Are we ranking them in their star categories or under one unified ranking?

For example, Spiderman is one of the best 1*s, should he get an 8ish for that or are we comparing them to the higher level characters?
  • Answered. Few were below 7. These should be ajusted as soon as possible, imo.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    20three wrote:

For example, Spiderman is one of the best 1*s, should he get an 8ish for that or are we comparing them to the higher level characters?

I believe formerly they were all ranked against each other, I only split the pages up for length-sanity. That said, I don't think comparing people across star-levels makes too much sense. Looks like a good number of people have split it up according to star-ranking, so let's go with that. I believe I left the answers as edit-able after submission, if anyone wishes to change their answers.
    vinicius18 wrote:
    Answered. Few were below 7. These should be ajusted as soon as possible, imo.

Not sure what you mean?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, if you have 3 fully covered 4*s, is that 1-3 or 3-5.. can't select both.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Done. I didn't give many ratings above 8 or below 5 so I guess the game is more balanced than I thought. It did remind me that there are quite a few 3* characters who have been left on the rubbish dump though
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    No, they can't. This is a Google form, so each submission is dumped to a related Google sheet, right? You didn't require a login, so the identity of each user is not being tracked, multiple responses are allowed. If a user returns to the survey link above, they can complete the form all over again, but they won't see their prior responses, nor will a new response affect or overwrite their previous submission. If they save the link to their prior response, they can overwrite it, but they won't see their previous response.

Using a Google form is OK, but you should have asked people for an identifier. You'd still be relying on them to be honest about it, but at least would have a shot at filtering out multiple submissions.

If any response if revised, Google highlights that for you so that's handy.

It's admirable that you're willing to take criticism, but you're already soliciting responses to a live poll. For consistency, if you choose to revise the poll, you'll have to re-launch it.

For instance, you gave no standard by which to rate the characters, but you did choose to separate them by tier. 20three asked the obvious, are we rating within or across tiers? How will the results be presented? By tier or one unified list? You answered his question, but that decision is not communicated on the form. Respondents will make an assumption and proceed accordingly; the results may be a bit all over the place.

See Atomzed's small "private" poll for an excellent example of defining a standard and its application.

I'd suggest fleshing out the demographics if you hope to produce any insightful analysis. Ask about age, gender, spending in game, PVE/PVP focus, frequency of play, alliance affiliation.

Interested in seeing your results. Will you share the raw data?

I wondered about that - I just assumed that Google was tracking it with a cookie. Not sure why I was allowed to select one without the other. I thought about requiring the login, but I figured that would turn some people off.

Unfortunately I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it - I just looked at Ebola's results and attempted to quickly ape the process. Probably shouldn't have put it together at night either, or I would have seen the mistake Malcrof pointed out (maybe). I'll release the results when it's done, then fix the poll based on criticisms here. This one won't have the best results, but once I've corrected the issues listed (and put a bit more thought into it) I can throw out a better one in a few months. I might also make a poll to find out people's biggest scarecrows too, just for giggles and to test the changes.

A quick glance at the poll data this morning showed that about 45% of people have 0 covered 4*s, and the same percent have 25+ 3*s. Looks like I'll need to expand the 3* question options as well.

As for the data queried, I was looking to get basic information without gathering too much information. I'm pretty sensitive to vacuuming up data - though the PvE/PvP distinction would be a good one to make.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. If I get some downtime at work I'll go ahead and fix the biggest problems.
  • 20three wrote:

I believe formerly they were all ranked against each other, I only split the pages up for length-sanity. That said, I don't think comparing people across star-levels makes too much sense. Looks like a good number of people have split it up according to star-ranking, so let's go with that. I believe I left the answers as edit-able after submission, if anyone wishes to change their answers.

No, they can't. This is a Google form, so each submission is dumped to a related Google sheet, right? You didn't require a login, so the identity of each user is not being tracked, multiple responses are allowed. If a user returns to the survey link above, they can complete the form all over again, but they won't see their prior responses, nor will a new response affect or overwrite their previous submission. If they save the link to their prior response, they can overwrite it, but they won't see their previous response.

Using a Google form is OK, but you should have asked people for an identifier. You'd still be relying on them to be honest about it, but at least would have a shot at filtering out multiple submissions.

If any response if revised, Google highlights that for you so that's handy.

It's admirable that you're willing to take criticism, but you're already soliciting responses to a live poll. For consistency, if you choose to revise the poll, you'll have to re-launch it.

For instance, you gave no standard by which to rate the characters, but you did choose to separate them by tier. 20three asked the obvious, are we rating within or across tiers? How will the results be presented? By tier or one unified list? You answered his question, but that decision is not communicated on the form. Respondents will make an assumption and proceed accordingly; the results may be a bit all over the place.

See Atomzed's small "private" poll for an excellent example of defining a standard and its application.

I'd suggest fleshing out the demographics if you hope to produce any insightful analysis. Ask about age, gender, spending in game, PVE/PVP focus, frequency of play, alliance affiliation.

Interested in seeing your results. Will you share the raw data?

Very well contributed to the distinction between pve and pvp.
    I rated EL and IW as 7, but to separate in pve and pvp would be totally different.
    EL pve 10, pvp 2
    IW pve 9. pvp 4
    Just to name two examples.
  • Not sure what you mean?

I mentioned that the characters evaluated with score below 7 should receive a buff.
  • I don't know if previous responders will be associated by Google with their previous responses. Anyone know?

I've done a poll by Google drive and the answers do not mention neither the name nor the computer's IP which was answered the questionnaire. With that does not like Google to identify the same person answered the questionnaire more than once. Usually you do manually, when you read identical or nearly identical responses in the short time interval 1-5 minutes, it means that the same person doubled his answer. With this eliminates the additional response.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    I updated the 4* question, then checked the results - definitely wiped the other responses. I'll leave the 3* one for now and fix it next go-round. Adding the text to compare the * classes only with each other. I'll leave it at that for now while I review the post by Atomzed, per aesthetocyst's recommendation. Once I figure out the best changes to make I'll close it, spit you guys the results, edit the poll to add the new changes, then if you don't mind looking it over as an additional QA I'd appreciate it.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    I know I'm slow, I apologize - busy work week ran into my vacation. I've uploaded the raw .csv file.

http://www.filedropper.com/characterrankingspoll1

I think I can publish a summary page on the form as well, let me try that.

Edit: This should work for the summary - http://bit.ly/1R2gBhC
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Just a suggestion. If you can group the "Number of days played" data into ranges (0-100, 101-200, 201-300, etc) and show corresponding number of entries in each range that would be great.
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    There isn't a way to get that (that I know of) from Google, so I threw the .csv into a spreadsheet and used a couple of formulas. Here are the results:

< 100 = 6
    100 to 199 =12
    200 to 299 = 18
    300 to 399 = 32
    400 to 499 = 27
    500 to 599 = 10
    600 to 699 = 33
    700 to 799 = 26

The earliest is 14 days, the latest is 758.
  • Killjoy00
    Killjoy00 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Could someone post just the avg ratings for each character from this poll?
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    Killjoy00 wrote:
    Could someone post just the avg ratings for each character from this poll?

I think I like spreadsheets too much. Sorted by rank:

4*s:
    Jean Grey (All New X-Men) 9.12
    Iron Man (Hulkbuster) 8.89
    Iceman (All New X-Men) 8.44
    Professor X (Charles Xavier) 7.86
    Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force) 7.66
    Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross) 7.45
    Cyclops (Classic) 7.24
    Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) 7.18
    The Thing (Classic) 6.98
    Thor (Goddess of Thunder) 6.78
    Nick Fury (Director of S.H.I.E.L.D) 6.51
    Wolverine (X-Force) 6.37
    X-23 (All New Wolverine) 6.35
    Carnage (Cletus Kasady) 6.05
    Ant-Man (Scott Lang) 5.97
    Sam Wilson (Captain America) 5.65
    Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards) 4.82
    Elektra (Unkillable) 4.46
    Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) 4.00
    Invisible Woman (Classic) 3.78
    Devil Dinosaur (Gigantic Reptile) 3.36

3*s:
    Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) 9.18
    Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) 8.87
    Luke Cage (Hero For Hire) 8.71
    Magneto (Classic) 8.26
    Thor (Modern) 8.23
    Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff) 8.14
    Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) 8.12
    Blade (Daywalker) 7.91
    Steve Rogers (Super Soldier) 7.89
    Black Panther (T'Challa) 7.72
    The Hood (Classic) 7.68
    Loki (Dark Reign) 7.45
    Wolverine (Patch) 7.35
    Deadpool (It's Me, Deadpool) 7.09
    Daken (Classic) 7.01
    Doctor Doom (Classic) 6.97
    Black Widow (Grey Suit) 6.72
    Rocket & Groot (Most Wanted) 6.40
    The Hulk (Indestructible) 6.31
    Human Torch (Classic) 6.20
    She-Hulk (Modern) 6.16
    Storm (Mohawk) 5.92
    Sam Wilson (Falcon) 5.86
    Mystique (Raven Darkholme) 5.76
    Daredevil (Man Without Fear) 5.60
    Captain Marvel (Modern) 5.44
    The Punisher (Dark Reign) 5.41
    Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy) 5.36
    Colossus (Classic) 5.12
    Bullseye (Classic) 5.11
    Squirrel Girl (Unbeatable) 5.02
    Beast (Classic) 4.80
    Psylocke (Classic) 4.68
    Vision (Android Avenger) 4.46
    Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) 4.38
    Spider-Man (Classic) 4.15
    Sentry (Dark Avengers) 3.92
    Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) 3.59
    Iron Man (Model 40) 3.29
    Ragnarok (Dark Avengers) 3.10

2*s:
    Black Widow (Original) 8.77
    Ares (Dark Avengers) 8.04
    Storm (Classic) 7.90
    Thor (Marvel NOW!) 7.70
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!) 6.97
    Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) 6.70
    Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) 6.21
    Human Torch (Johnny Storm) 5.48
    Hawkeye (Modern) 4.96
    Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) 4.86
    Steve Rogers (Captain America) 4.43
    Bullseye (Dark Avengers Hawkeye) 4.37
    Moonstone (Dark Avengers Ms. Marvel) 4.36
    Spider-Man (Bag-Man) 1.46

1*s:
    Juggernaut (Classic) 8.10
    Spider-Man (Original) 6.72
    Black Widow (Modern) 6.05
    Storm (Modern) 5.67
    Iron Man (Model 35) 5.58
    Venom (Dark Avengers) 3.94
    Hawkeye (Classic) 3.67
    Yelena Belova (Dark Avengers) 1.67
  • Interesting, still a little misted on the source of the numbers, but...interesting.

To "me" it seems the 'tops' of each star are more accurate than the middles, like the middle is just a mishmash - especially for 3*s...but the more important 'top' seem OK, personally I'd do a little shuffling, but even at that when looking at the numbers (3hor vs CMags), the delta is so small that its fighting over a nickle...though I'd wager SWitch over both simply due to 4* transition and long term usefulness. I'm shocked to see Kingpin so high *pleasantly* - I always felt he was stronger than given credit, but since mine isn't worth spit, I can't scream it. Same goes with RHulk. Forum discussion would make you think he's a 3*...but no he looks pretty good. I'm on the line about XFDP. He's been my focus simply because I like DP, but he struggles to find the right team...he can be great for defense (Thing) or for Offense (XFW), but putting them together is just too slow. HE needs a consistent red generator.

But for the most part I thumbs up the majority of those numbers.
    - Unreall
  • XandorXerxes
    Options
    I've been thinking of a few formulas to use to determine the result based on the days played categories. I might break it into a 1-300 days, 301-500 days, 501+ just so I don't totally fracture the results, but I'll see if I can throw something together tonight / this week.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Might be an idea to start a new thread with the results, Xandor. People are more likely to overlook this thread, since it still looks like the poll. Thanks for putting in the effort, though!
  • Interesting, still a little misted on the source of the numbers, but...interesting.

To "me" it seems the 'tops' of each star are more accurate than the middles, like the middle is just a mishmash - especially for 3*s...but the more important 'top' seem OK, personally I'd do a little shuffling, but even at that when looking at the numbers (3hor vs CMags), the delta is so small that its fighting over a nickle...though I'd wager SWitch over both simply due to 4* transition and long term usefulness. I'm shocked to see Kingpin so high *pleasantly* - I always felt he was stronger than given credit, but since mine isn't worth spit, I can't scream it. Same goes with RHulk. Forum discussion would make you think he's a 3*...but no he looks pretty good. I'm on the line about XFDP. He's been my focus simply because I like DP, but he struggles to find the right team...he can be great for defense (Thing) or for Offense (XFW), but putting them together is just too slow. HE needs a consistent red generator.

But for the most part I thumbs up the majority of those numbers.
    - Unreall
    I don't think that's really needed though. The biggest improvement IMO really is simply separating stars. IS there some titular shift in votes and the such based on days? Days also doesn't equate to much when it comes to ignorance/knowledge. My wife has over a year on her, but she STILL is primarily a 2* user (that's all on her heh).

I think as mentioned a new thread might be "best" per say.

I still don't have big issues with anything on here though...the delta in numbers show when "its close"...and my disagreements are usually close *shrug*
    -Unreall