3* transitoner just pulled first 5*

Options
MarvelDestiny
MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in Roster and Level Help
Hi All,

I just pulled my first 5* (Phoenix) but I'm only about halfway through the 3* transition and all my 4*s are pretty pathetic (most at 1-2 covers each). I know my scaling will be affected if I roster Phoenix but I don't know by how much or if the game will be unplayable thereafter. I tried a forum search but didn't pull anything useful, so I'm looking for suggestions: should I roster or sell her?

Thx

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You can always roster her, see how it is and then sell her if it's really that crippling. Personally I'd say if you can muscle through, do it, given how difficult 5* covers are to come by.

There seems to be an equal amount of support for "it won't affect you" and "it'll make your game unplayable" based on what I've read. For my part, I already had some decently developed 4*'s when I started getting OML covers, so I didn't really notice much of a difference.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you have several 3* at 166 that get boosted it's not going to be a terrible difference, if you're capping your 3* below 166 you'll probably notice more. Boosted 3* are 240 maxed and 260 for the featured in PvE, a 255 won't ruin you.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 2,985 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hi All,

I just pulled my first 5* (Phoenix) but I'm only about halfway through the 3* transition and all my 4*s are pretty pathetic (most at 1-2 covers each). I know my scaling will be affected if I roster Phoenix but I don't know by how much or if the game will be unplayable thereafter. I tried a forum search but didn't pull anything useful, so I'm looking for suggestions: should I roster or sell her?

Thx

what your rank of your players before i pulled my 5 star i capped all my people at 90s

it pushed my nodes up 30 pts... I pushed everyone to 120 and it helped. So im guessing you should have you 3 stars around 120 before taking 5 stars
  • MarvelDestiny
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I've soft-capped my 3*s at around 100 while accumulating covers and iso. A majority are fully covered (if not ideally) and I have the iso to jump them a couple dozen levels. Based on Slidecage's input, it sounds like I should be ok to roster the 5* if I raise them up.

Does that sound feasible or am I still setting myself up for pain and disappointment; banging my head against newly impassable nodes?
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My vote is you should absolutely roster her, but here's two threads that are going on that are kinda discussing it;

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=35981 & viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35394

That second one has a lot of hard data in it. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also don't forget to hold Phoenix in your queue for as long as you can. 2 weeks without 5* scaling will be helpful.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I agree with Tryke. Don't roster her until you have to so it gives you more time to be more prepared. Try to scrape as much ISO together to help with the roster leveling.
  • MarvelDestiny
    Options
    Thanks Tryke & Madok. I had already planned to wait until the last minute assuming I decide to roster her. I just remember what Devil Dino did to my MMR & scaling back during the first anniversary when my roster was barely a fledgling 2*. As you can guess it was a nightmare and that was just 50 or so levels above my roster; Phoenix is about 150 lvls above my mean 3* roster lvl.

I have about 1.4 mil iso (I've been stockpiling until all my 3*s are fully covered) so if my game becomes unbearable I'll raise my best 3*s en masse to the 120s or 130s and see what happens. I just hate it when the game throws curve balls and tinykitty's my plans. icon_e_smile.gif
  • madok
    Options
    I have about 1.4 mil iso (I've been stockpiling until all my 3*s are fully covered) so if my game becomes unbearable I'll raise my best 3*s en masse to the 120s or 130s and see what happens. I just hate it when the game throws curve balls and tinykitty's my plans. icon_e_smile.gif

At 120, your boosted 3*s will give you a leg up at any scaling hits you will take. it might still be a bit painful. Instead of leveling them all though, I would first focus on your A and B team of characters and try to get them to 140. When boosted they get up to 200 and 240 when featured which can be very helpful.

I believe it is around 40K ISO to level a 3* from 100 to 140. So you could take a couple core teams to 140 and potentially take the rest to 120 because it is only about 10K to level from 100 to 120.

It might be helpful if you put your roster on the Gamependium site like in my signature. We could help you even more with that specific details and it is a great tool to help you track your progress. I love going back just a month or two and looking at how much my roster has improved.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A couple of general thoughts. You've got the ISO and covers, so I'd level at least six to ten characters up to 120 (really, as many as you're comfortable with). It's pretty cheap, and you'll get a lot of bang for the buck (going from 120 to 130 is almost as expensive as going from 40 to 120).

I got my first 5*s when I was at 120 (sounds like I had even fewer covers than you at that time; I had only four or five fully covered then). I leveled up six or eight characters to 166 - and a few more to 140 - when I rostered Surfer (and OML a few days later), and have rarely noticed scaling since then. The only problem I've had with scaling since then has been when one of my high-level 4*s has been the essential, and therefore ended up above 255 for the event. Well, actually that's not quite true. Scaling jumped much higher for those events, but I've been able to handle it. The last Gauntlet run had really crazy scaling (six or eight nodes hit 395), but I even got through all of that with only one superwhale, and my highest at that time was still only 190.

Now, there is one caveat, which is that I haven't yet played those 5*s except one time mining the prologue.

So I would definitely roster her, and I don't think you'll have much, if any, issues.
  • Frantic-010
    Options
    Guys,

I have added Phoenix to my roster (and have been so stupid to level her to 270 immediatly...).
    My 3-stars are pretty well covered, i have 39 of them 9 - 13 covers and at level 110.
    4 stars at level 70 - 110, depending on amount of covers.

Since I added Phoenix 5 star scaling went up pretty bad for me (PVE essentials from level 95 increased to level 130).

What should be my best course of action now?
    Sell Phoenix? Or level up the 3 stars to higher levels (i have 100K ISO).
    I was thinking on selling Phoenix, get more 4 star covers and level up gradually.
  • madok
    Options
    Guys,

I have added Phoenix to my roster (and have been so stupid to level her to 270 immediatly...).
    My 3-stars are pretty well covered, i have 39 of them 9 - 13 covers and at level 110.
    4 stars at level 70 - 110, depending on amount of covers.

Since I added Phoenix 5 star scaling went up pretty bad for me (PVE essentials from level 95 increased to level 130).

What should be my best course of action now?
    Sell Phoenix? Or level up the 3 stars to higher levels (i have 100K ISO).
    I was thinking on selling Phoenix, get more 4 star covers and level up gradually.

To minimize the effects of a 5*, you need at least 8 to 9 max leveled 3*s. You won't make that with 100K ISO.

So you can either suffer through the pain until you can get a big enough team leveled up or take the easy approach and sell her. I know that option sucks but this is a game and if it isn't fun is it worth suffering?
  • Frantic-010
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Madok.
    It should indeed be fun.
    I'm gonna sell her.
    I'll get her back later eventually.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really, *really* hope the next patch addresses this in some way. We've been seeing posts like this for months now, and it's awful.
  • madok
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Madok.
    It should indeed be fun.
    I'm gonna sell her.
    I'll get her back later eventually.

I agree with Blacksheep 110% though. I wish I didn't have to tell you that. I'm really hoping whatever they come up with will give you a good chance of getting her back more easily down the road.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I picked up my first OML when I was in 2* land with only 3 or 4 covers for 3* characters (still don't have any maxed now) and rostered him straight away. I did not notice any serious effect from having him on roster even though nearly my entire team was lvl 94. I even levelled him to 270 (don't ask why as I dunno) and it still didn't make a difference.

Recently I developed my 3* roster to where a few have 8 or more covers and are above level 100 and I picked up SS as well and rostered him, still my scaling is not really affected, maybe a level or 2.

There's a pretty even split on the forum for people that agree and disagree with the idea 5* screw scaling, I sit in the disagree camp as from my personal experience the only time my scaling goes crazy is when I'm too successful in PVE and grind a lot. Otherwise it stays the same no matter who I roster